Toenail Trimming Nightmare! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Toenail Trimming Nightmare!

Last night we stopped off at PetCo on the way back from dog park to get my two dogs’ nails trimmed. We’ve taken them there before and they usually do a good job. Our dog Daisy has a tendency to bleed when she gets her nails cut (which is why we don’t do it ourselves and have a pro handle it). Last night, though, they couldn’t get the bleeding to stop. They put styptic power on it three or four times and tried putting pressure on it, but it kept bleeding. We took her to the vet (about 15 minutes away), and she was still bleeding a bit when she got there. The vet couldn’t get the bleeding stopped either, so she put a large bandage on it and said to leave it on overnight.

The nail isn’t bleeding today, but she’s walking a little gingerly. Does anyone know how painful this is for them? Does she need to be on pain medication? (She’s very stoic, so it’s hard to tell when she’s in pain.)

I’m also worried that she’s going to have future problems with getting her nails trimmed from this experience. Poor little girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Adolescent Pup

If her nails are bleeding every time their cut it means your cutting them to short. it is a very painful experience for them. the fact she still lets you cut her nails after having bled multiple times surprises me. I don't think she'll need meds but it may become problematic to cut her nails.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My dog has very dark and curly nails which makes it hard to cut them. We don't do it at home because of this but the vet manages to always make her bleed anyway and now she is terrified if anyone touches her paws. It is the same sort of pain as the one you get if you cut your nails to short. But as said before she won't need meds.

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterose View Post
the fact she still lets you cut her nails after having bled multiple times surprises me.
She's such a good girl that she lets us, but she's not happy about it. She's got one or two really dark nails that just seem to bleed almost every time. We don't even do her nails ourselves because we're afraid of hurting her. We get them professionally done, but she still bleeds.

Tags
nail trim