Took Dakota downtown- - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Took Dakota downtown-

Ben and I were getting bored, and after planning to go to the Quarry again didn't work out, we didn't know what to do. So we went out to eat at Arby's and there decided to get Dakota and go downtown to the Rally by the River. Which one of the local news station sums up by describing it as, "A great place to mingle, listen to cool music and enjoy the best view in Toledo, the downtown Riverfront." Anyways, we weren't sure if dogs were going to be allowed in the main area's... But we figured it was worth a shot.

Taking forever to find a parking spot, we passed the Fifth Third Field a couple of times and decided to walk to it once we found a spot and see how the Mud Hens game was going.

We got there and even though dogs aren't allowed into the park, we were able to stand on the outside gate and get a pretty good view of the game and lots of people came to visit Dakota and give her pats.

She loved it. All the attention and she was so well behaved, and we didn't even have her halti! There was this one girl at first who seemed a bit like she didn't have many friends or was bored or something, and she kept coming back to visit her new friend. She was a sweetie. Then this little boy who kept walking by would wave and go, "Hey Wolf!" Some adults came up asking how old she was, complimenting on her temperment, and one of the guys working there selling beers came over a couple of times to give her handfuls of ice from the cooler he was carrying around. haha

They had fireworks after the game (I think the Hen's lost, but I don't care one way or the other ) and we weren't sure if Dakota was going to be okay with the loud noises. (We were right under them practically.) But we figured we'd stick around and find out how she'd handle it because she's always been really good with Ben and his dad working around the house with loud drills and power tools and compressors and stuff, ... Well they start off with some quiet ones just to dazzle the crowd, and Kota was SO impressed with them, like they were a new toy or something! We were at the front of the gate, so she had the best view of everyone there. haha... Then they started shooting off some of the ones that pop and boom pretty loudly, and she lost interest. She didn't care that they were loud, but she didn't like them like she had the quiet ones. She decided she go around Ben to the little kid who was trying to see past us and try to get another pat. hahahaha

Meanwhile, the lady who was next to me leans over and tells me thats the kinda dog that the Army and the Police Force look for, one that's not afraid of really loud noises like this. I took it as a very nice compliment.

I just wanted to share.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

THat's awesome. I am impressed that she did so well with the fireworks. We are going up to the mountains this weekend, and taking Jake with us so he doesn't have to listen to the fireworks. He hates loud noises. The fact that he was abused in the past has a lot to do with it, I'm sure. What kind of dog is she?
Oh, by the way, I love your ice cream picture. It always grabs my attention whenever I see one of your posts. It's so creative and sweet. Congrats on the little one on the way, also.

Becky
Proud Mommy to Sammi and Leigh (my girls)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

That must've been such a fun day! Imagine what it would be like with a little baby there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

how fun! i'm so happy that dakota did so well! my dogs don't mind the fireworks either. they are too interested in barking at other dogs on the 4th. LOL! we need some pics of dakota, btw!!!!!!!! i'm glad you guys had fun.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Becky, Dakota is a German Shepherd. She's about a year and a half old or so. (Born March last year.) The lady who was telling me that about the Army and Police Force thing told me that she has had some dogs in the past who needed to be sedated every 4th of July or else they'd just freak out. Her husband said how (I think it was a GSD they were talking about) would freak out and shove the couch half way away from the wall and then squish himself underneath it trying to hide. And as far as your dog Jake, I totally agree that it's no doubt got something to do with the fact he was abused before. Sorry to hear that. But taking him up to the mountains sounds like fun! I love taking Dakota on trips.
And thanks for the compliment on the siggy. Its my favorite. And that Ice Cream shop in Galveston was the best!

And also, Millimi, while the fireworks were going off, you know the really loud ones, Ben was hollering something into my ear about how "Look, Dakota could care less its so loud." And for some reason it made me think about Delta, and I pointed to my belly and said, "You know, she can hear this too!" He just smiled really big, like yeah she can can't she? Ha ha... I think that we probably would've gone a bit farther away with such a little baby... Maybe if she was like two and knew what the fireworks were and stuff, but I just bet it'd make Delta cry if she were there last night. lol

Jane, I'm trying to get pictures!! On the 4th we're taking Dakota back down for the big fireworks show. (We asked one of the cops who had came up to pat Kota a few times if the city would allow dogs down by the river with all the people the fireworks attract... and he goes, "Oh I'm sure you could bring her. Any dog I think can go as long as their on a leash, but this dog will do fine anyways." haha) I plan on bringing the camera then and I'll make sure to get some pics of Putch.

I just need a new hard drive in my computer because Dan and Cindy can't hold the Kodak program on this computer anymore because it conflicts with another program and screws things up... So I might not be able to post them right away.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Awww, what a good girl! My two seemed not too concerned about the fireworks outside last night. I'm not sure they'd be so calm outside with them though. I also insist on more Dakota pics!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
german shepherd