Toy ideas needed! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Toy ideas needed!

I wanted any suggestions to keep my puppy busy!! I'm starting to have a hard time with lately just when he was getting better! He is about 7-8 months now and hes big and hyper lol! He LOVES his bully bones, but there expensive and now he goes through them in a few hours! I also want something that I can keep reusing like a kong-but I want him to have to work harder and really use his brain! LOL-ya follow! I feel like when hes laying there chewing away hes not really tiring himself out.

Also a bit off topic but at this age-is it normal that he is testing his limits? It seems like he just doesn't want to listen to me. I wish I could exercise him more but it cold and yucky out right now so our walks and fetch games aren't really do-able right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Title Thief Victim

I have no idea..I have dumb dogs that hate toys! lol

Athough my pitbull does like one toy..its a cheaper version of a kong and had a textured outside.

but...hopefully someone will come around that can help you !

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Guarded by Waffles

do you have a kong? they work great to keep pups and adults entertained

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Testing his limits sounds normal for that age. Keep in mind that most dogs are considered adults at around one year (probably closer to 1.5 to 2 years for large breed dogs), so 7-8 months would basically be the human equivillent of the teenage years.

As for toys, my dogs love their tug of war rope. Ein and Tucker also love it when I blow bubbles-they chase the bubbles and try to "eat" them. Other than that, rawhide is the biggest hit. There aren't too many types of toys that they really play with. They mostly just like "keep away" (try and tease us or another dog into trying to get the toy they have), tug of war, chasing each other (or herding, in Ein's case). Colleen likes to fetch tennis balls and any other toy that I am willing to throw across the room. Tucker likes to chase it (the tennis ball is his favorite toy. He likes to chew on it and lick it), but he doesn't bring it back. Stuffed toys are not allowed it our house because they like to chew holes in them so that they can pull the stuffing out bit by bit.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:32 AM

Oh, I thought of something else. Have you tried cornstarch bones? They seem to last me longer than rawhide. I think because they don't like them quite as much so they spend more time licking them than chewing them.

Also, check this out: Rawhide Treats for Dogs: Drs. Foster & Smith Super Heavyweight Dog Bones

I have not tried those rawhide yet, but I intend to. Ein and Tucker are both very heavy chewers and rawhide doesn't last them nearly as long as it does Colleen (especially with Tucker). So they finish theirs quickly and sit and stare at Colleen, trying to put silent pressure on her to give hers to them. (Or just outright steal it from her). I've been wanting to try these for awhile, just haven't placed an order with drsfostersmith in awhile, due to the cost of Colleen's treatment.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My dog LOVES his jolly ball its a horse toy... its quite expencive... $16-18 but it has lasted him for 3 years now and he plays with it everyday... its a rubber ball with a handle on it so you can easily throw it far and mine loves to carry it around by the handle too... the rubber punctures but does not deflate (i dont know how its a mazing.. ) i wouldnt recommend it for the house though sence my throws it himself and chases after it it might break things.... a great outdoor toy though... he also loves chasing his buckets down the driveway it makes good noise.... he also loves the 88 cent toys at walmart they squeek and are cheap enough he can get a new baby often. his other favorite are the laytex toys at walmart 92 cents... they are soft and squeek

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 AM

Large Molecuball Treat Ball - DogToys.com

Reggie has this, I didn't pay near this much for it though. I got his for $5.00. For treats I take the larger bones and smash them with a rolling pin in a baggie. Then I open the baggie and pour it into the ball. This helps save on the cost of treats and your puppies waistline.

Reggie also loves the 88 cent toys from Wal-Mart and they hold up just as well as the more expensive toys. Ours are right by the check-out so you can look thru them while you wait.

Good Luck I hope this helps. I have a large hyper dog too so I understand. But he also has the biggest heart and is so sweet I love him to death!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Leo

Have you tried freezing his the Kong? It last longer and they have to use their brain more to try and figure out how to get them out... also how you pack the Kong makes a big difference too. For beginners I recommend packing them really loose so the food kind of falls out (so they get how to use the toy) and then gradually move up to really jamming stuff in there ... with my guys I use a dog food, treat, peanut butter, cheese mixture and then I throw them in the freezer overnight... On days where I do this my guys are super quiet because it can easily keep them busy for 5+ hours.

I also use Ropes and Balls... I play fetch in the house and also play tug of war with the office chair where I sit on it and spin around while my dogs chase the rope (indoor dog walking ) and then when they catch it I play tug of war... repeat, repeat, repeat eventually they get tired out .

Another suggestion that I have would be enrolling in an OB class anywhere (even a pet supply place)... Obedience classes would help you learn how to focus his energy in a positive direction and also give you ideas of some fun games to play indoors. If you practice everyday the things you are supposed to for class (all which you can do indoors) then you will be so busy the outside walk/fetch time will be replaced with that (if you don't have access to classes here is a link of on-line activities/instruction. click on the yellow on-line dog training button to begin (it is free)Dog Training To Help Solve Dog Behavior Problems).

As far as him being at the testing age... well 7-8 months has never been my favorite age for a puppy... they all of a sudden get this great idea that they should challenge your authority... so it sounds like your guy is doing just that ... don't worry this stage only lasts a couple of months and then he will be back to listening like normal (doing some form of OB training can shorten this period of time).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!
SARA- my friend had that at her house, and Petey LOVED it! But I can't find it in the stores! My friend found it on ebay though- so thats a solution! And yes he does have a big heart!! He loves me so much, I love it!! We both have such a bond my husband can't get over it!!

Yes he does have the kong-and I do freeze it! I'm telling yas it amazing how fast he cleans it out! He has so many toys its crazy! I circulate them so he forgets about them and then gets excited thinking its new! The cutest thing is he will go in and take toys off the top of his crate! He cracks me up!!

I feel better that knowing hes going through a phase! I worry I raised him wrong! IT just seemed like he was calming down, and poof-hes back to his mischief!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Have you tried actual raw bones? We get them at the health food store and dogs literally can't destroy them. And once they've lost interest I spread peanut butter on the insides.

Bambi likes a toy we got at PetCo. It's a rope toy but it has a bone on it and a hard treat. So it keeps her busy.

There are also a lot of other puzzle-type toys such as balls that the dogs rolls around to get treats out and rubber bones with "grippers" that hold treats.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Have you tried actual raw bones? We get them at the health food store and dogs literally can't destroy them. And once they've lost interest I spread peanut butter on the insides.

Bambi likes a toy we got at PetCo. It's a rope toy but it has a bone on it and a hard treat. So it keeps her busy.

There are also a lot of other puzzle-type toys such as balls that the dogs rolls around to get treats out and rubber bones with "grippers" that hold treats.
As for the raw bones-no I haven't! Can you give me more info. on them!?

Tags
breed dogs, dog food, dog training, health food store