Toy recommendations? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Toy recommendations?

Kit is a crazy hyper ball of energy, even after his 4 walks, fetch, and training session that he gets every day. I swear this dog would never sleep if we didn't put him into his crate at night.

He already has tennis balls, frisbees, stuffed animals, a squeeky toy, chew toys, and two diffrent style kongs. He likes the stuffed animals, chews, and the squeeky toy but seems to get bored of them pretty quickly. He looves playing fetch but never seems to get enough of it no matter how long I play with him. He likes his kongs okay enough if they are stuffed with something he really likes, but he's not very food motivated and doesn't usually play with them for long.

So I'm looking for something that will possably be a challange for him and keep him busy for awhile while I attempt to get other things done around the house. Do they make any kind of doggy puzzles or anything like that? Does anyone get a certain kind of toy that their dog really likes that I don't have for him already?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

why dont you get a box and put all the things he loves in it like toys treats and mabe you could put smaller boxes with treats in the bigger box to make it more interesting and putt holes in so he can sniff the stuff in the box and then put duck tape or something the hold it all together and he can rip it all up? it would give him something to do

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hey that's a really interesting idea, thanks!

He likes to rip up boxes already so that would probably be really fun for him. I'll get some boxes together and try it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

Your welcome!

hope he enjoys his new toy lol

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Hello Earthling

Kibbles liked a toy I made for him that was fleece with a bunch of knows tied in it and every so often I could add a tennis ball or a kong ball filled with treats

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Part of the Pack

We have a hide a treat toy. It's shaped like a dice and and it has a maze inside so it takes a while get the treats to come out. Rags loves it.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I am allergic to maths

I havent done this myself yet but you could fill an ice cube tray with peanut butter, with a little treat in the middle of each one. I thought these would be better than frozen kongs because even though its not as hard as kongs the dog gets the food all of the time when some dogs just lick the edge of kongs then give up because the rest is to hard to reach. I got suggested to me that you could get a swingball game and add some rope so the ball is lower, it gives the dog a fetch like game where you dont have to spend all your time playing with your dog. Hope I helped
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Betta Bomb

A sock spider, tie a pile of knots inan old sock or blankie and fill the knots with little treats? (oh , Kayla already suggested)
They do make puzzles but why buy when you can make your own eh?
Hmm, hide his favorite toys in places like just under the couch or behind it and create an obstacle for him to get to it? I havent ever had this problem as Coco is just content de-capitating stuffies and then de-stuffing them....Good luck!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My lab loves jollyballs its made for horses but now they have little ones for small dogs. He can pick it up and throw it on his own

You can take it swimming

doggy day care

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of good ideas

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
A sock spider, tie a pile of knots inan old sock or blankie and fill the knots with little treats? (oh , Kayla already suggested)
They do make puzzles but why buy when you can make your own eh?
Hmm, hide his favorite toys in places like just under the couch or behind it and create an obstacle for him to get to it? I havent ever had this problem as Coco is just content de-capitating stuffies and then de-stuffing them....Good luck!

I would love to do this with Rags but he eats the stuffing and the fabric and the string...Then he throws up or get diarrhea so not cute fluffy toys for him anymore. I love the Nylabones and the Rhino products and of course, Kongs.

Edit- Also empty plastic bottles, it's hysterical to watch him chase and destroy them.

~Ren~

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Betta Bomb

OH YA!! I forgot to mention Coco LOOOOVES those nestle good life water bottles because they crinkle alot. I stopped drinking bottles water so Im always bumming them off peeps at work Im sure a puppy would fins it excruciatingly exciting
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Ha he probably would. We've given him empty peanut butter jars before. He likes playing with those but he's so loud with them that I usually get annoyed pretty quickly and throw them out. We don't drink bottled water either but I'll have to see if maybe Chris can bring one home from work.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Part of the Pack

My Mother-in-law has a major Pepsi habit so we get some of her bottles.

If you want a fun outside summer treat fill a bottle about 3/4 the way up and freeze it. Rags loves it but it's strictly an outdoor toy because the ice would get my carpet really wet.

~Ren~

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

RIP- Aggie, Dorito