Training to go potty inside - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Training to go potty inside

Guess what guys? I woke up and guess who had a puddle under him. Poor ol Spyro. I called the vet and she told me that her and some of the other vets were talking about multiple potty problem dogs. I guess someone in their get together or whatever have suggested indoor potty training for such situations. She didn't tell me how to do it though lol. I have stumbled across a few sites but I guess I just need a push in the right direction. Does anyone know of any scent based things that work? I know some pee pads supposedly have some but I haven't bought any in years (well ever. Last time we used them was when Spyro was little which was all the way back in 2000.)

I hope this works though.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

what about getting a potty patch ? its basically a grass patch (fake grass) on a tray that has a pee pad under it, it smells like grass to.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
what about getting a potty patch ? its basically a grass patch (fake grass) on a tray that has a pee pad under it, it smells like grass to.
Really? lol never heard that it smelled like grass! Yeah I was considering that or ugodog.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
Really? lol never heard that it smelled like grass! Yeah I was considering that or ugodog.
yah theres even a spray out now that when the grass smell wares off that you can appearntly buy and spray on it again. not sure how well it works as i just use a normal, peepad tray.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

I got one of those ugodog things when my dog was a puppy and didn't like it. When I got mine they where like $50 too, and it's just plastic. I could have made something on my own with a low sided plastic tote and grating and it would have been way less money.

Anyways, it didn't work well for my dog. He would go to the bathroom and if he didn't aim perfectly for the middle of the thing, he'd get pee and poo running off the edges onto the floor next to the ugodog. It's light too, so yeah my dog would remove the grates on top when he was a puppy and he could easily move the entire thing across the floor if/when he wanted too. He's a toy breed dog too.

If you're going to try indoor potty training, I'd recommend either looking at dog litter boxes (with higher sides to help them keep everything in the right place) or like Nibbler suggested looking a systems that use either real or fake grass/sod. Make the indoor potty as distinctive as possible, so the dog knows what it is and what it's for and can't mistake anything else for a bathroom area. I've heard a lot of stories where people used potty pads and dogs would start peeing on things like area rugs and blankets, etc. To a dog, an area rug or a towel or something on the floor can look very similar to a potty pad.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Wow thanks for the warning!

I guess I will have to check out the grass ones again. Before they felt so fake. Exactly like the turf they use on football fields. Some even claimed "just like real grass." Maybe I can construct one. There is a synthetic grass place around here that really does make synthetics that feel and look real.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I dont use the potty patch it was just an idea i use this one i bought at walmart.

By Anonymous
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

I think if I where ever to try one again, I'd just make my own. I've looked around at them a bit and a lot of the ones I'd probably actually try seem overpriced.

There are grass ones out there that use real grass too. I think you'd just have to replace the sod every so often, I'm not sure.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
I think if I where ever to try one again, I'd just make my own. I've looked around at them a bit and a lot of the ones I'd probably actually try seem overpriced.

There are grass ones out there that use real grass too. I think you'd just have to replace the sod every so often, I'm not sure.
I paid about 20 for mine but if u can make one on ur own thats great i was never creative like that it would definetly save money instead of paying 50 for a potty patch.

By Anonymous
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Yeah spyro is an odd ball. He never took to puppy pads or paper as a little guy lol. He is cat like in that sense I guess. He also likes to "cover" his mess.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe a dog litter box would be better then

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i saw this and thought of you not sure its very useful but worth a try
http://www.kturby.com/litter/litter.htm

By Anonymous
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
i saw this and thought of you not sure its very useful but worth a try
http://www.kturby.com/litter/litter.htm

Yeah I did thanks. I'm going to use this method (crate style) to get em started off =]

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hopefully your dogs will like it when you introduced litter box, plan it thoroughly so they will get used to it at early time.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Newborn Pup

Hmm...

I have search some reliable sites and look at youtube as well to look for potty trainings. They seemed to look easy.. Yeah, they only looks easy. I hate when I have to start doing it. Such a mess..
For now, I've been using peepad for my new pup(a basset hound), 5 months, male. He's the newest craze in the house. My friend told me to enroll him at 6 months to a training school. Hope it works out.