Traveling w/ Small Pups - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Traveling w/ Small Pups

What's the best way to get charlie prepared for a short plane trip. My dad and I are going to Florida, they let dogs in the hotel so she's going to come. I'm going to get one of those little 'bags' for transporting her, however, Iwas wondering if anyone thought she should get dramamine or something? and If so, how much?

Any other ideas, comments, or concerns welcome,
Thanks, Brian

...Goodness is achieved not in a vacuum, but in the company of other men, attended by love. I, in this room, seperate, alienated, distrustful, find in my purpose not an open world, but a closed, hopeless jail. My perspectives end in the walls. Nothing of the future comes to me. Only the past, in its shabbiness and innocence. Some men seem to know exactly where their oppourtunities lie; they break prisons and cross whole Siberias to persue them. One room holds me. --Saul Bellow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

In all honesty, I think you should discuss it with your vet...I wouldn't give over the counter Dramamine unless the vet says it's safe...they should be able to prescribe some kind of tranquilizer for the trip though (in pill form)

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I totally agree with Mandie.

As for getting her ready...how does she handle car rides? That's a good place to start! Get her real used to car rides and going to strange new places. Maybe take her on a couple of rides down to the airport? Take her aound some crowds? I think she'll have to encounter crowds at some point, which could be overwhelming and scary for a pup.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i think, in all honesty, that she is too young for a plane. her ear aren't fully developed yet (i don't think) and they could pop and damage her ears. i'm not sure, but i would ck with your vet. mine told me that penny (yorkie) would have to be at least a yr before going on a plane.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:03 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My cats and I had an 18 hour plane trip from New Orleans, LA to Helsinki, Finland. So, here are the things I have as advice:

1. The Sherpa backpack is the best airline pet carrier ever. It has a handle, to where it can be a tote, and the straps can make it into more like a purse OR you can have it has a backpack! This made carrying the kitties along with all our luggage MUCH easier!

2. I don't recommend dramamine or anything like that! You really won't need it. I went to Petsmart and bought this bottle of natural liquid pet calmative or something. (All it really did was get my kitties a little drunk. ) It was totally harmless on my cats (even Galina, who was 8 weeks old at the time) and really did help to relax them without making them sedated. I suggest trying it out on your pet a few days before departure just so you can get a feel for how long it lasts and how it affects your dog.

3. If you are worried about your puppy getting hungry on the flight, just carry a small ziplock of his food. Also, I found that a small metal bowl for water worked well, too, along with one of those mini Dasani water bottles to carry the water in.

4. I don't think this will apply to you, but if your flight is long and you know your pet cannot hold its bladder until you get out of the airport at your destination, you can probably buy one of those really tiny litter boxes for $6 or so at Wal-Mart and put that into your carry-on along with some newspapers. (For my cats, I had a zip-lock of kitty litter for it, too.) But I suppose for a puppy, probably just newspapers would be fine. A good place for your pet to do his business is to go into the restroom to the handicap stalls and just put them on a leash and let them sniff around on the paper and do their business. They might surprise you and decide they are too scared to go (Gerona did this to me! Refused to go the whole 18 hours!), so just gently put them back in their carrier and try another time.

5. Finally, if your puppy is not used to the carrier you bought for the trip, start putting him in it for periods of time with some of his favourite toys to get him used to it. Don't let him out of he cries, because you won't be able to let him out on the PLANE if he cries.

6. Another thing that helped was, during the take-off, I would stick my hand into Gerona's bag and gently pet her since she was so scared. This helped calm her down a lot.

I hope this was helpful to you in some way, and I also hope you have fun and a great trip!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:07 AM

I forgot to mention this, but have you checked with your airline as to whether or not it's okay to bring your puppy on the plane? Some airlines won't allow pets at all, and some make it up to the captain of the plane.

Also be aware that there is usually a FEE for having your pet on the plane, usually around $80-90.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:37 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

good point pihlaja - i know for certain that southwest doesn't fly animals (although i don't think you'll be using them in the NE). but i'm not sure about american or continental. be sure to ck!

but most importantly, ck with your vet.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 07:01 AM

Ramblin' Cat has a very long lists of airlines and their usual policy on carrying animals in-cabin and as cargo, which you can find here.

Hope this helps out anyone who isn't sure whether or not an airline accepts pets and has trouble finding information!

When I flew with my cats, we travelled using Delta and Finnair.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hey...Update:

My vet didn't say anything about me to indicate she should not fly. I was there dropping our Springer off yesterday. The airline said it was OK, but it cost 50$. I asked about 30 times if any vaccanations are required, she said for a domestic flight no.

Additionally, the vet said tranquilizers would be too much, but if wanted to give her an infants dose of benadryl, she would go to sleep.

--Brian.

...Goodness is achieved not in a vacuum, but in the company of other men, attended by love. I, in this room, seperate, alienated, distrustful, find in my purpose not an open world, but a closed, hopeless jail. My perspectives end in the walls. Nothing of the future comes to me. Only the past, in its shabbiness and innocence. Some men seem to know exactly where their oppourtunities lie; they break prisons and cross whole Siberias to persue them. One room holds me. --Saul Bellow
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:28 AM

It's good you've got everything in order. Now just enjoy your trip!

Generally for domestic flights you don't usually need anything but a health certificate, and often not even that. But for INTERNATIONAL flights, well, you'll need a whole folder of papers (I know)!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
health certificate, kitty litter, litter box, litter boxes