treadmills - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

treadmills

In all honesty I was looking at dog stuff before I got Luna. I got all paranoid about keeping my dogs happy and well exercised. Just so happens that my boyfriend picked a terrier mix...which made me feel a little incompetent. I don't live in the best neighborhood right now but plan on moving to a better one before next year.

So right now...one 30 minute walk before work. Luna and Loki like to stay outside so they are outside all day. When I get home, we play fetch in the yard. She comes in and sleeps but I don't feel she is really tired.

When I move, I'd like to get a treadmill mostly because I'm going back to school and think Luna might explode if I didn't walk her one day (which won't happen much but fall finals come around the time when I work overtime at work.) I was thinking on the normal basis, a 30 minute run on the machine and then a 30 minute walk. Then at night, a 15-20 minute walk followed by another 30 minute run on the machine. Does this sound like too much for a doxie mix? She will still get yard play but it will be in a dog run because my future roommate and me would like to start a garden and he has guinea pigs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Newborn Pup

Believe it or not, dog treadmills are actually becoming more common these days.. . even PETCO sells them online! A friend of mine just bought one for his dogs (Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd mix) to stay in shape, because they both compete in dog agility. It's so awesome to see them use it! (Unfortunately, my dog didn't seem to like it very much when I brought him over there) While your doxie mix may not need to run as much as they do, I think having two 30-minute runs in addition to 45-50 minutes of walking in ONE day might be a bit too much for a little doxie, especially if she's not accustomed to using a treadmill.. but, then again, it all really depends on her and her activity level. Just to start out, I would keep it consistent with the amount of exercise she is already getting now or possibly break it down in shorter intervals, but still have her exercise for the same amount of time (maybe break-up one of the 30-minute running sessions to two 15-minute running sessions). Also, keep in mind that she might need some time to get used to a treadmill, especially if she's used to running outside. As for your future dog run-- that sounds great! I hope this helps!

---
Save a life or two and adopt a pet!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

According to the chick he got her from, she is used to two mile hikes on a local bike trail through a wooded area. I mean I live near a river and wouldn't mind walking there...if the river weren't moving dangerously fast right now. The house I'm looking at isn't near any awesome wooded areas...just a man made park.

I think you're right. I just may be freaking out about nothing. Heck she was outside for four hours today and is passed out! Loki is the one with all the energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 PM
[**||Seahorse Chick||**]

I would just get a normal treadmill - that way you can use it and the dogs can too I walk my papillon on a normal treadmill when I'm working out
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

30 mins is a long run for a dog it would be much farther than 2 mile walk. you should be able to walk 2 miles in 30 mins if you were running you should be able to run 3-4 miles at least so that would be 10 miles a day if you had her run an hour plus a half hour walk.

I don't think doxies need that much exercise.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
That's actually a common misconception. I agree that they don't necessarily need all of the exercise that the OP planned but they go crazy when cooped up.

My Dachshund was a nightmare to deal with when he wasn't exercised enough. A leisurely walk wasn't enough, he had to really be moving.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynster View Post
I would just get a normal treadmill)
I can't stand treadmills haha. Maybe I walk funny or something. I always prefer stepper things.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
Do note that she is only 1/4 doxie. She is 1/2 mystery terrier
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aha, each dog is different but that is a lot of exercise for most dogs, its good but keep an eye on the dog and alter the amount based on how your dog is feeling each day.

[/CENTER]

Tags
running, treadmills, walking