Treating Kennel Cough - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Treating Kennel Cough

Hey guys-
My dog has a kennel cough she caught from some of her frequent friends (they all have it now, too). She is coughing up muucous and throwing up as well. The vomit color is clear/white, unless her food is in it. It's NOT gold or green in color. I'd prefer NOT to take her to the vet, for expense reasons right now. I know it needs to run it's course, and the vet can give her anti-biotics if she develops a secondary infection. We need a cough suppressant until this thing runs it's coarse.

I've read giving her steam treatments can help- and I'm going to get a humidifier for her now. I've also read that giving her OTC Cough Syrup can help (1 tsp/20lbs /day)- Robitusson, Vicks 44, etc. I've also read giving her honey can help soothe her throat (tried that, just threw it up on the next coughing fit).

Is there anywhere that sells this KC Defense or Homeo Cough stuff locally here in AZ? We didn't get ANY sleep last night, and our poor dog has GOT to be tired of this coughing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

We can't technically give medical advise. Try calling retailers or breeding kennels in the area if you're looking for a product.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Part of the Pack

I'd say take her to the vet. Its expensive but it comes with the responsibility of owning an animal.

give your love no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Adolescent Pup

I just had someone call me not too long ago wanting to know what they could use to treat kennel cough. Often it will just run its course without much treatment, but if she were my dog I'd give her an antibiotic. I wouldnt immediately give the cough syrup only if she got real bad, which sounds like maybe she has with coughing so much and throwing up. Kennel cough can be caused by different virus or bacteria and will usually resolve like the human flu or common cold does. Some people don't treat at all unless it doesn't go away but I'd start pretty quick to give her body a boost, if it is bacterial then it'd help a lot and even viral it can help/protect against secondary infection. That is the only info I have and I'm not a vet but I'm sure you can call one or find info about this disease online or in books to verify. I don't know where to find that stuff in your except maybe you can find an online store.

Check Them Out

Last edited by Jade; 04-29-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Edited to remove specific antibiotic. Please do not give medical advice.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Newborn Pup

My dog visits a day care center quite often and every couple of months he develops kennel cough. After speaking with my vet, I ordered him 'Respiratory Aid' online.

It has worked out so much cheaper than all the vet visits and prescription drugs. Plus it is all natural too!

Last edited by Jade; 04-29-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Removed web address.