'Twas the night before Christmas for a Chained Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

'Twas the night before Christmas for a Chained Dog

'Twas the night before Christmas for a Chained Dog

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
With no thought of the dog filling their head.
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Knew he was cold, but didn't care about that.
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Figuring the dog was free and into the trash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the luster of midday to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But Santa Claus - his eyes full of tears.
He unchained the dog, once so lively and quick,
Last years Christmas present, now thin and sick.
More rapid than eagles he called the dog's name.
And the dog ran to him, despite all his pain;
"Now, DASHER! Now, DANCER! Now, PRANCER and VIXEN!
On, COMET! On CUPID! On, DONNER and BLITZEN!
To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!
Let's find this dog a home where he'll be loved by all"
I knew in an instant there would be no gifts this year,
For Santa Claus had made one thing quite clear,
The gift of a dog is not just for the season,
We had gotten the pup for all the wrong reasons.
In our haste to think of giving the kids a gift
There was one important thing that we missed.
A dog should be family, and cared for the same
You don't give a gift, then put it on a chain.
And I heard him exclaim as he rode out of sight,
"You weren't given a gift! You were given a life!"
---Author Unknown---

And to think I carried my dogs into the house (50 lbs and 65 lbs) this morning cause they were crying about their feet hurting from the snow and cold. I didn't realize it was -3 when I took them out for a walk, the poor babies I would have put their booties on if I had known. I just couldn't immagine leaving them outside all the time, but I'm a big old softie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

That is beautiful and so true. When I look at Logan sleeping contentedly on our bed, I think of all the dogs that don't have a home or have to endure the cold weather outside because their owners won't let them in the house.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

thank you for sharing...its sad to think people don't love and spoil their animals the way they should

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've read that before, it's very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise
That is beautiful and so true. When I look at Logan sleeping contentedly on our bed, I think of all the dogs that don't have a home or have to endure the cold weather outside because their owners won't let them in the house.
Same here . Whenever we have blizzards I worry about the outside dogs.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Newborn Pup

The poem brought tears to my eyes, because it is so true. We have 3 dogs who hate being outdoors in the snow. They sleep on our beds with us, they are part of our family. I have a relative who has a dog that is kept chained up outside 24/7. The last time she was off her chain was last summer when I went over to take her for a walk. My DH just went over yesterday and put fresh straw in her doghouse. Why have a dog if you are just going to keep it chained up outside? I think I'll print the poem and hang it on my refrigerator, so when my relatives comes over for Christmas, the "guilty" one will see it!

~~~PATTY~~~
Mom to:
Cocoa (Labrador Retreiver)
Daisy (Beagle)
Elsie (Border-Collie mix)
Simba (orange/white cat)
Boo-Boo (black/white cat)
Molly (tabbey cat)
Aquarium fish
and all the strays that come my way!

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
--Arthur Schopenhauer (philosopher)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Aww! That sums it up so perfectly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My in-laws have always kept their pets outside, now they only have one dog and she is very old yet she is still kept down the bottom of the garden.

I look at my dog snuggled under my blanket on the sofa and just hope they don't get anymore pets in the future.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

My dog was an out door dog but in the winter as soon as me or my parents got home she was brought in and spent the evening in te house and if it was too cold out side she would spend the night in her cage in the house. we also made sure she had hot food when she was in the house even if it was just warmed up gravey or hot water added to her hard food to make sure she was warm. She lived to the ripe age of 14 before she passed away. My step father made sure she had a pillow to lay on in her house and made her house so that it was insolated, as well her food and water were in a covered area as well. so not all people that have their dogs out side in the winter are mean.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My grandparents had farm dogs that lived their whole lives outside, but like your family they had insulated houses, with bedding, good food, and a barn to go into with the cows if their house wasn't warm enough. They weren't forgotten or ignored and left on a chain which is what the poem is about.

I know we all have seen that poor dog in the back yard where the owner barely remembers to put food out let alone ensure it has proper shelter or attention.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

mine was my best friend and my folks feel that she passed away because of a broken heart since when i moved out i left her with them since there was no way i could afford tot ake care of her nor would it have been fair to her. she was never forgetten not even at christmas i always made sure i bought her something.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Adolescent Pup

That poem brought tears to my eyes too.

I find it so sad, and so incredible almost, that despite all the information and education etc, people still think it's ok to gives dogs (and other animals) as presents at Christmas.

I don't have a dog, because I don't have the time, the right space etc. though I'd love to have one. Why do other people get a dog / keep a dog when they don't have time or couldn't care less about the poor creature?! I just don't understand it myself. Makes me sad.

Thanks for posting that poem.

Love Han and her 'babies'! x

3 degus - Basil, Rosie and Mary
3 chinchillas - Betsy, Chewy and Snowy
9 ratties - Mollie, Fudge, Rolo, Flora, Daisy, Blossom, Bailey, Tia and Honey
2 spiny mice - Oscar and Ned
2 Syrian hamsters - Herbert and Tinkerbell