Ugh - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
And he's a horrible indoor dog. (The boy won't stop moving. He's all over the place.) Can't keep him indoors all the time, and sometimes he barks while inside too.
As far as the barking goes it is an irresponsible owner (your neighbor) by letting their dogs bark. Dogs are dogs and when they hear another one my goodness dogs get chatty. I'm sorry, I didn't want you to think that I meant every dog kept outside. I live in a very rural county and it used to be very common practice to just keep your dog chained outside and pretty much ignore them. People around here just didn't have the money to fence in yards due to the amount of acreage (sp?) or they just didn't care about animals the way we do now. It still is a problem with some owners. These dogs would get a dog house, if they were lucky, and a stake in the ground with a chain and thats it. Sometimes food and water if they were remembered. Then people started developing the land and moving in and then the complaints started. People didn't like the fact that these dogs were skinny and dirty and never let in the house and due to their circumstances barked all of the time because they just weren't happy and especially not happy with new people moving in. (I don't think I would be happy either with new people if all I knew was crappy people to begin with) Dogs left out in yards during the day aren't usually a problem until there is a thunderstorm and then they all decide to run away from home and end up in the shelter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 AM

Dena,

The neighborhood I speak of sounds sooo much like the one you just described. You may have read a post of mine from the other day where I talked about the next door neighbor's dog, Maka, who was stuck in a tiny kennel and she's a huge GSD. She had no dog house, nothing covering the kennel. If it rained she got wet, if it was hot she was stuck in the sun...no shade! She knocked over her water and went thirsty for hours a lot of the time.

There are TONS of pit bulls kept on stakes and chains out in their yards. The dogs are bitter, lonely, and going out of their minds. The dogs all bark tons. It's so hard to keep the boys quiet when all the others are making a racket. And I don't blame them for barking non stop. Wouldn't you if you were kept on a chain in the yard with no shelter, maybe even no water, and definitely no love?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Or in my case it's because my neighbor's dogs are allowed to bark non-stop and my dog jumps in and barks with them. It is SO hard to be responsible when no one else is.
My fiancé's dog is a Samoyed, and anyone who has one of those arctic doggies knows how prone they are to barking! Thankfully, Kirby was taught from the moment Sami got him that even if another dog barks, YOU are not to bark! So now, I can leave Kirby on the balcony during the day and he can peek over the edge and "people watch" (his favourite past time) and I don't have to worry about him barking or being a nuisance to anyone. Kirby is only allowed to actually BARK if something disturbs him or if someone is at the door, and then one to three times is enough. However, when we come home, Kirby always makes "woo woo!" and "bwooof!" sounds to greet us. We allow it, as long as it doesn't get to rowdy and overdone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
There are TONS of pit bulls kept on stakes and chains out in their yards. The dogs are bitter, lonely, and going out of their minds. The dogs all bark tons.
This is very sad, indeed. I remember when I lived in Louisiana how this was a common sight, too. It seems that in Finland, though, dog ownership is taken VERY seriously. You SELDOM see mix breed dogs here (and usually they are adopted dog from Estonia, not Finland) and of all the places I've been, I have yet to see a single dog living ONLY outdoors. Most dogs here are inside dogs. In the Helsinki area, you even have to pay taxes for owning a dog (the money goes to the maintance of dog parks and such). It's really kind of nice to be in a country where the majority takes ownership of pets more seriously.

And the majority of dog breeders here are very responsible. Usually you have to be on a waiting list no matter where you go, because the breeders don't have many litters each year. And I don't know if this is true for ALL breeders, but the sheltie breeder we are getting my puppy from said that sheltie puppies MUST be checked over by a vet (for CEA and things like that) and the papers sent to the Finnish Kennel Society (Suomen Kennelliitto) before they will allow them to be registered. So, "backyard breeders" would have a bit of a hard time here, since vet visits in Finland ARE NOT cheap.

However, I've run off topic.

Chrisanne, I'm very happy everything has been settled with that pesky neighbour! Thankfully, the only disagreement I've had with a neighbour here is the irritating old man that lives in the apartment next to us. He said the bars I had supporting my balcony box were not the right type and needed to be replaced, which is hogwash. And I told him so. If they can support a full grown 160lb. man hanging on them (yes, I convinced Sami to hang on them in the house), then they can support some piddly flowers. And that was that. :>

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:07 AM

Chrisanne, I'm just now reading this thread and wow I'm sorry to hear you have a grump for a neighbor, it sounds like he is just irritated by the fact that his dogs are barking now and needs to put the blame elsewhere. I agree with Dena dogs are dogs and they will get chatty (bark). I'm glad to see where Dena lives they have a 30 min. continuously barking law, WOW ours would love that However 3-5 minutes really isn't that bad either Chrisanne, think about it, what dog is going to conitnuously bark for minutes at a time unless there is good reason or he/she is a problem barker. Ajax our foster child/possible adoptee is a problem barker and OMG all I can say is thank goodness we are in Italy, I would have had to gotten rid of him along time ago I'm sure. Although I must admit over time and training he has gotten better so there is still hope
Chrisanne hang in there girl, your doing all the right things by staying one step ahead of the jerk.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:55 PM

Chrisanne,

Kudos to you for taking the first step and obtaining all the facts before that buggar tries to get you in trouble. There are some people that are never satisified unless they start crap. After talking to your neighbors it is quite evident he is the only one that is being nitpicky. You are a responsible dog owner who would not allow her dogs to bark excessively.

Our neighbors downstairs behave the same way so I completely empathize with what you are going through.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 04:12 PM

Pihlaja,

Finland sounds like Doggie Paradise! I'm so glad to hear how great things are for dogs out there. Gosh, if only every other country were more like Finland in respect to dog ownership.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Gosh, if only every other country were more like Finland in respect to dog ownership.
Perhaps it all stems from the Finnish culture, too. The entire country used to be very poor, and the only dogs that were here were working dogs such as the Jämthund (Swedish Elkhound), Finnish Spitz, Lapponian Reindeer Dog (lapinporokoira) and the Lappland dog (lapinkoira). Most people could not afford to have many dogs, so the dogs they DID have were very valuable to their survival. It's not really the same anymore, but the views on dogs are about the same. They are expensive to BUY, expensive to own and expensive to take care of. A good dog food here will costs you around 50€ for a large bag. Medium sized plastic crates (small sheltie size) costs around 200€.

And as examples to how expensive dogs are, Kirby cost Sami around 650€, and Kirby's breeder was giving one of the cheapest rates possible at the time for this litter because that year it seemed vet vists were not as expensive, so puppies were not as expensive. Ronan, on the other hand, costs a little over 100€ more than Kirby. (For the newest €->$ conversion rate, go here.)

In America, however, it seems there are too many backyard breeders and the American mentality is USUALLY "why pay more here when I can get the same thing somewhere else for less?" and they don't care if they sacrifice some quality (or usually in the case of dogs, A LOT of quality).

Another thing about Finland--no puppy mills! Sami didn't even KNOW what one was! I had to explain it to him. Pet stores do good here if they sell even fish. Sometimes one here or there will sell guinea pigs, rats, mice, and rabbits, but even THOSE are expensive! A dwarf rabbit will cost you around 60€!

Finland might be the land of dog ownership, but it's also the land of expensive. One reason why most people here are just average. They have NO ONE in poverty here and VERY FEW rich. Just a bunch of average families. (The 22% sales tax could have something to do with this, too. )

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:54 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

ok so is anyone else moving to finland with me???

i am really sorry about all this chrisanne. sounds like this guy just needs something to complain about. some people are like that...

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ha there's so many dogs barking around where I live it'd be hard to complain about mine.Could it be that three dogs scares this guy? Maybe he figures they'll be running wild (because some people get a bunch if dogs and don't take care of them) But he certainly should be able to see that is not the situation with you. I also take my dogs out so many times a day and they are watched even though my yard is fenced.They only bark at people on the street(which I try to correct) And other animals.
And I just have to know, what kind of dog is Chewy?
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

He could possible be afraid of them. They are all near or over 100lbs right now. Gazoo is a huge shepard at 117lbs (not overweight), Rebel is huge at 106lbs, but slightly overweight and on a diet, and Chewy is a 7 month old, 90lb Newfoundland.

He hasn't been back since.... I think he knows I want him to so I can tell him off.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's possible he's afraid of them. Hopefully in time you can get along and maybe he'll come to like your dogs,stranger things have happened!I thought Chewy might be a Newfie, I just love them. My Mandy might have some newfie in her,not sure. I will get pictures on as soon as i get enough posts on so they'll post them right away so they can be edited if say we end up with a pic of hubby's motorcycle on instead Actually hubby has to help me with the pics, I'm not up on all that.

Tags
animal control, animal control officer, animal shelter, breed dogs, dog food, dog owners, dog park, guinea pig, jack russell, local animal shelter, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, pit bull, pit bulls, puppy mill, puppy mills, vet visit, vet visits