Up For ADOPTION... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Smile Up For ADOPTION...

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lynn. I have a 2 year old male Miniture Dachshund who is up for adoption. Before you read on, there is one of many requirements, you must live in or near the Northern Virginia area in order to adopt.

The adoption fee is $200 (for vet bills, etc.)

His name is Merlin. He is neutered, up to date on all vaccines, great with cats and ferrets (with supervision of course). Should do well with most dogs as long as you give him time to adjust to them. He does not do well with children under the age of 12 years.

He is house trained but piddles when excited (such as when people enter the door). He loves attention and is very submissive. We are actully trying to break him out of his submissive nature. He loves to give kisses. He is a barker but with continuous training I think you could get it under control. As with a lot of dogs his bark is worse then his bite. He has never actually bitten a person or animal, but he has snapped at young children. I think if he has the right person training him he could break out of that, I think he is scared of little kids because they run around making high pitch noises and can get a little to rough with him. I would never leave him alone with children unsupervised. He is great with most teenagers and adults and loves to play. If you have cats, he will chase them around the house.

He does have a slight case of food aggression. Since I have worked with him he has not acted out on my dog. But that dosn't mean he won't do it with anther dog, cat etc. He would snap and growl at my dog everytime she would get near him while he was eating his food or treats. To break him of this I would take the food or treat away and give it to the other dog. I also made him share a treat by letting the older dog take a bite first and then I would let him take a bite, switching back and forth. I also would put peanut butter on a spoon and have them lick the spoon together. Since I did this he has been good. Its mainly just teaching him that it's something that is to be shared and that just because its gone dosn't mean he won't get another one agian. He never actully bit my dog and I really don't think he ever would bite another animal or person. Other then that he has never acted aggressive with anything else. Other then if a small child gets to rough with him.

I will require him to meet everyone that live in the household. If you have other dog(s) I will also have to have him meet them to make sure they get along. I may also want to visit your home a few times with Merlin so he can gradully adjust to the change. He dosn't do well to big changes so when we first meet it will be just be you any family that lives with you, Merlin and me. Then the second time would be in neutral territory to visit any dogs that you have(if you have any). Then the third time would be to go to your home with him so he can check it out. Then if everything goes well with all the meetings I will bring him by your home for one last time with all his belongings. That is when you will have to fill out an adoption contract and release form.

If I haven't scared you away and your are interested in adopting Merlin please give me a call at 703-674-8387 or e-mail me at
[email protected] make sure to put in the subject title "merlin adoption" or something to that nature or I won't read it.

Remember, you must live in or near the Northern Virginia area to adopt and there is a $200 dollar adoption fee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merlin now.jpg (46.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Merlin on his Hind Legs.jpg (21.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Merlin Playing.jpg (51.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Merlin side view.jpg (42.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Merlin.jpg (15.2 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adoption fee, older dog