Update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Exclamation Update

Hi everyone....sorry for not being around much lately. I'm still trying to fully get over my shock and grief.

Jeff has been really pushing to get another puppy now. I was totally against the idea of getting another one so soon but the more time I sit around here without Riley racing around, getting into trouble or making me laugh, the more lonesome and depressed I feel. Scarlette's idea of fun is taking a nap or playing outside. She's not a dog to play fetch or play with toys and she refuses to sit on my lap and watch tv with me. As much as I love Scarlette being so laid back and easy going, I still miss my rambunctious, on the go Riley Roo.

We went to look at a puppy last Saturday and I just wasn't feeling the "I really want this one" vibe, so I turned it down. That, and the fact that those jerks decided to jack up the price when I got there. Nothing like trying to profit off someone's grieving. I still wouldn't have gotten her even if they gave her to me at the price I was quoted to begin with.

I've been searching the internet trying to find a good breeder and it's so hard trying to distinguish between a good breeder and a puppy mill on the internet that I'm getting really fed up and frustrated. I'm so scared to get another puppy with a heart problem. I just can't go through this again next year.

Right now I'm considering an older puppy. She's 10 months old and was supposed to be a show dog but she developed Entropion (inward facing eye lashes) and had to have surgery to correct it, so now she can't be shown. She's had the heart testing, BAER and kidney functions tests, so she is healthy but she's not trained. A 10 month old Bull Terrier that hasn't been taught any manners will be a big handful. I would much rather start with a young puppy and Jeff is really hung up on getting a young pup... I don't know. I'm thinking of driving to Chicago this weekend to meet her and see what she's like. The breeder thinks she'll be fine once she has more one on one time.

Anyway, that's my saga for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Keep us updated on what happens with the 10 month old, hon. You'll know when you meet the right pup.

Stephanie

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Good luck with everything Scarlette. When Nacho passed on everyone told me to wait to get another dog....I was miserable until I bought Biscuit home, I needed to have a dog in my life so I understand where you're coming from.
You'll know the right dog when you see it.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 04:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

~hugs Scarlette tightly~
I know I dont know you well, being new and havent said anything about Riley passing on here, but I have sat and cried with you because Riley was one of the first I noticed by pictures on here. She was so beautiful and I love Bullies as much as I love the Staffies.
With that said.....the best advice I would offer anyone on getting another baby after a loss is go with your heart.
We lost our baby Sif, who'd been with us just over 12 years, on January 17th this year. We got her when she was 4 weeks old from a backyard breeder who weaned her way too early.
I'm one of those people who cant go to the shelter without looking at the dogs there. So when we went up to pick out our baby's urn, I looked. It was the same day she died, and I noticed a beautifully colored Harlequin style Staffie mix female.
Didnt give it much thought that day. Or the next. But by the end of the week, I couldnt get her off my mind. And I was missing my Sif's always underfoot and attention demands.
To make a long story short, she came home to us on Jan. 28th. MUCH MUCH sooner than I ever thought I'd have another dog in the house after losing my baby.
The right time will come and the right baby will grab your heart.
Just my two cents. I hope it helps.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

rhonda, i agree with everyone that you should go completely with your heart. don't ever think that getting another dog soon is in any way you diminishing riley's life, though. it isn't. that said, go with your heart. it will tell you. if you really don't want another dog yet, then just wait, hun. you will know.

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Rhonda, we all know that you loved Riley with everything you had in you. And we know that getting another pup now doesnt mean you dont miss her. I know that if it was me in your shoes, I would want to have a pup back in my life. Thats why they call a dog "mans best friend" because if you ever know the love and companionship of a dog, you wont be able to live without one. Good luck with whatever happens with the 10 month old, or even if you decide to get a puppy. *hugs*

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I'll keep my fingers crossed that another beautiful angel crosses your path that needs love and kindness.

Keep us updated.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:25 AM

Good luck with finding the right puppy. You will know him/her when you see her.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Goodluck with what you decide.

It was just a little over a year ago that my Chihuahua died and I got a new dog just a few days after. It was really sad not having her those days after. I'm really glad I that I got him too.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Fertile Myrtle

I think a new pup is a good idea. When we lost Nestle, Lox didn't want another pup, but I convinced him and we were both so much better off when we got Cyersha. It's not replacing them by any means, to me it's like honoring them by moving on and giving that love to another pup who needs it.

I agree with Steph, you'll know when you find the right one.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Rhonda- you know how I feel about all this! I know in my heart of hearts you will find the right pup when you least expect it. You know you can call me anytime, whether it is to vent, cry, or scream... I'm here! :hugs2: (I'm glad you updated, I was thinking about you last night & was going to call you today to check on you )
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:37 AM

Rhonda, always follow your heart. Keep us updated. And, as always, we are here for you.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Great to hear from you. Good luck following your heart. You wil know when it's the right one

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:56 AM

I agree with what everyone else said. You'll know when it's time and you'll know immediately when it's the right puppy or dog for you.

post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

I have to agree with what Melissa said.

If you feel that the 10 month old is a good choice after seeing her, you'll make the right decision. If you don't feel that spark, you don't feel it. But don't ever feel that you're replacing Riley. Christi said something very true. You're only honoring Riley by getting another puppy to love, and I'm sure that Riley would want you to do that.

Tags
bull terrier, puppy mill