Update on Great Dane/Mastiff - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Update on Great Dane/Mastiff

Ok well the woman that took him came in today...she returned him to us on Friday afternoon. All started off well...even took a liking to the cats. she went out the yard late at night and he growled but she said his name and he stopped....after that he just progressively got worse....he ended up trying to attack the cats, growled at her when she put him on a lead when she was going out and she got too scared so she bought him back The woman that originally owned him was asked by the other nurse at work if we could send him to the RSPCA or to the pund for re-homing but she refused and insisted that we euthanase him. So he's gone. At least I tried I suppose but it seems pointless now

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 04:01 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee Carmen I'm sorry to hear that..... You did try and sometimes that is what really matters, at least there were efforts made in trying to find the dog a great home......Don't beat yourself up girlie you did great....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Kim. I could strangle the owner though for refusing him to go to the pound...instead she chose to pay for him to be put down when she could have had him off her hands with a chance of life for free.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 05:34 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I know the women should have been slapped.....but sadly what can you do in that situation.......

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no! That's awful, I'm so sorry Carmen, but you're right at least you tried. That woman was just ignorant.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:06 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

That really is sad.

I really wish I could have met the dog. I wonder if he was just growling or making sounds SIMILAR to a growl but weren't. (For example, hubby's samoyed makes growly sounds which, to people who don't know doggie sounds that well, could be mistaken slightly for a growl.) It seems to me that the poor dog had some mental issues from living with his first owner and he needed someone with patience and who wouldn't be daunted by his sometimes puzzling behaviour.

I'm so sorry it had to end this way.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Never pointless. You tried...and that's admirable!

I'm really sorry it turned out that way but still really proud that you did what you could. We can never stop trying

- Deb

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

I agree with Deb. You tried your best, Carm. That's what matters, not just to me and all the rest of us here, but to all the other animals you try your best to save, and do.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 09:08 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I am so sorry Carmen. You did try, and that was a very honorable thing to do. It sucks that the owner is such a putz, but what can you do.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

How sad. I agree with everyone else, you did a good deed Carm and tried your best. Too bad the new owner was such a stunod and wanted to have him immediately put to sleep.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:27 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thats so sad. I'm sorry Carmen. You did everything you could to save him.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

You did your best, that's all you could do. It just wasn't meant to be I suppose

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Thanks Kim. I could strangle the owner though for refusing him to go to the pound...instead she chose to pay for him to be put down when she could have had him off her hands with a chance of life for free.
I think you're being a bit unfair to the woman now. I doubt that dog had much of a chance in the shelter. The shelters I've had experience with would have euthanized that dog. He wouldn't have lasted the full 72 hours they give "vicious" pit bulls to be evaluated.

Anyone who could have worked with that dog likely wouldn't have taken him, based on his size and history. The only people I could think of interested in a dog like that would be a professional, experienced trainer with a HUGE heart (a huge heart to fit a dog of that size into it. )

I think that, at least in her mind, she did the right thing. I don't feel that poor boy had much of a chance in a shelter. And honestly, how many dogs with "perfect" histories are euthanized every year because they're aren't enough homes?

Sigh.

No matter the fact he could have made a great companion to someone with a little hard work, there just aren't enough homes, and with obvious reason, people are real picky about what "has the right to live."

I don't think she's a real likable woman, based on how she's treated this dog before, but I can't judge her on this one. I'm not sure what I would do, knowing the statistics and knowing what people and shelters are like.

You tried, and that's all that matters.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:18 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Awww.... i'm sorry Carm...you tried

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Aww, I'm so sorry Carmen! At least you tried!
That woman doesn't deserve to own any kind of animal except a rock! How can she live with herself after putting down her dog even though it still had a chance? You did your best, and that's what matters.

Tags
pit bull, pit bulls