An update on my puppy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

An update on my puppy

Wow, I've had her a week already! How time flies. She seems to be growing so fast! I came home from work yesterday and I swear I could see that she was bigger than when I left for work.

She had a potty accident in the house last night. I think she might have a bladder or urinary tract infection because I take her outside every 15-30 minutes and she will pee everytime. When she had the accident in the house we had just came in from outside 10 minutes prior. What is weird is that she can go 5 hours in her cage without going potty. My mom has a HUGE dog cage that the puppy stays in during the day if I'm working so she doesn't have to stay in her little crate all day. She doesn't potty in the big cage at all. I guess I can't really complain because we've only had 3 potty accidents in 8 days.

Most puppies bite/nip but my puppy really likes to bite and bite hard! Did you know that deaf puppies bite harder? When puppies are wrestling with their littermates and bite too hard the other puppy will yelp loudly and the biting puppy learns not to bite so hard next time. Deaf puppies can't hear their littermates yelp, so they don't know to ease up on their biting. Everytime she bites I tap my finger on her nose, if she doesn't stop then I tap a little harder. She's learning slowly but surely.

I keep a night light on in my room so that she can see if she wakes up. She's only slept in my bed one night because everytime we go to bed she thinks it's wrestling time. Plus it doesn't help that I have a waterbed and everytime I move she tries to bite the bed.

My mom is really spoiling her. She keeps giving the puppy table scraps which is a big no no in my book. The puppy runs to the refridgerator if someone walks in the kitchen. She will sit there and whine until my mom gives in and gives her something. UGH! I keep telling my mom to stop it, I don't want an obese dog but I keep catching her sneaking something to the puppy.

I still haven't decided on a name for sure. This is terrible! I told my mom last night that when I have kids they won't have a name for 2 months.

Sorry that I haven't been online much. I try to spend as much time with her as I can. I try to hop online when she's napping so I don't feel guilty leaving her in the crate while she's awake. I don't want to leave her running around the house unsupervised until we get the house breaking thing under control more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Playful Pup

My Maltese puppy loves to bite me! He is getting better and not doing it as much after 2 months, but still thinks he owns my socks when they are on my feet!

As for your mom giving the puppy table scraps, tell her to STOP it now! Tell her she is taking time off your dogs life by doing that.
Ugh, why do people feel the need to feed dogs table scraps?
Not only will it develop bad habbits, but also is not good for any dog.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I'm glad she's doing so well Scarlette. That is great. We understand why you're not online much no worries. She needs you now.

While a lot of people say table scraps are horrid, I don't really believe it is as bad as they say. My grandma had a dog that lived to be 17 and she got fried eggs and bacon EVERY morning of her life. Not to mention... lots of people feed the BARF diet, which is people food.

(side note... my dogs don't get table food per say. They do however get raw egg in their food 3 times a week, and fresh meat of some kind once a week)

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 11:59 AM

My dogs rarely if ever get table scraps. The only reason I don't do it is because they are bottomless pits (no pu intended) and would eat till they exploded so I have to watch. However when I make salmon the whole house gets a little because its good for everyone.

Your puppy sound like she is doing great! And you sound like you are doing great with her. If it makes you feel any better it took me 18 months to fully house train my dogs the stubborn beasts. Luckily we designed our house around having animals and everything is tile or wood flooring.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Im glad to hear everything is going well...she sounds like a joy to have around...I can just picture her going after the waterbed jiggle...haha...

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 03:52 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Sos he is defiinitly deaf? Pick the girl a name for Pete's sake! How did the breeder "make it right" by you? I am so glad she ended up with you!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

My Cattle Dog, as a pup, did not properly learn how to play bite with his littermates. Or, perhaps they all had a high pain tolerance. But either way, there came a point when I had to teach him to stop biting so hard. Nothing really worked. He may as well have been deaf, but he heard fine, the little poopie head. So what I ended up doing was: everytime he bit my hand too hard I would grab ahold of his lower jaw and gently but firmly hold onto it. The moment he stopped trying to bite me and instead attempted to spit my hand out, I would release his jaw. In under a day I had gotten him to bite more gently and bite me less often. When we later got Myrl, I noticed Myrl was never bit hard enough to make him yelp.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I started working with her to sit. I gave her a signal, pushed her butt down, did the signal again and gave her a treat. She was sitting like a pro within 5 minutes! I was ecstatic! :blob7:

I took some more pics after our little training session. The pics are kind of boring because she's sitting in all of them thinking she will get another treat, the little cheater!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg echo2.jpg (32.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ehco3.jpg (12.3 KB, 17 views)

Rhonda

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

This is my favorite pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg echo1.jpg (10.6 KB, 17 views)

Rhonda

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

She's such a doll, Scarlette!! I'm glad she's coming along so quickly for you!

More pics!!

Stephanie

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

what a doll

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

She's gorgeous Scarlette! Glad to see she is coming along well for you!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Oh yes, more pics please!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Gorgeous!!! I want more pics. hehe Glad to hear she's doing pretty well on everything.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

aaaagh! how CUUUUTE! i just love her! and what a quick learner!

about the pottying - some female dogs will "mark" to get their scent on stuff. that could be why she's peeing every 10 min also. i would take her to vet of course. just know that with some dogs, when they are in a new environment, they will pee juuust a little to get some everywhere.

i just seriously love her!

have you thought of any more names? here are some i thought of:
lily
flower
joy (someone else came up with that. i still like it. )
spunk

good luck with her and more pics!!!

Tags
barf diet, cattle dog, chew toy, chew toys, puppy food, table scraps, urinary tract infection