Update on Tippy/Colleen
It has been an emotional weekend. Please keep us and Colleen in your thoughts. On Friday, I got a phone call from Laura (the foster) asking if we could find it in our hearts to give the dog back because she missed her so much. We talked for a long time, and I told her how happy Colleen was with us and how much we loved her. I told her that I would have to discuss it with Lucas. Not long after I got off the phone with her, animal control called me. The lady from animal control said that Laura had called 20 times that day to tell her she missed Tippy and wanted her back. They told me that I had to give her back and that Laura wanted her back that night when she got home from work.
I called Laura back and she said, "That was before I talked to you. I feel better about you having Tippy now that I know she's happy. If you want to give her back to me, I'd love to have her. But you don't have to." Yes, I do. I was ordered to by animal control.
When I took Colleen back to Laura's house, Laura kept asking me was I sure I wanted to do this, because she felt like she was taking Tippy away from a real family, with a mom, a dad and two brothers who all loved her very much. (Tippy cuddled with Tucker Thursday night and slept with her head on his back. They have become the best of friends.) By this time we were tired of being screwed around with and harrassed. Animal control was tired of being harrassed. Yes, I wanted Tippy. But I didn't want Laura calling me early the next morning to say she changed her mind again and wanted Tippy back. I told her to keep Tippy for the weekend to give herself time to make the decision without hurting anyone.
15 minutes after I left her house, she called me and told me she wanted me to come get the dog. She couldn't make the dog happy. She only wanted her back because she loves her and was worried about her. But now that she knew we were giving Tippy a good home, she wanted us to have her. After promising us and animal control she would keep Tippy as an inside dog, she said that she tried to take Tippy outside, and Tippy freaked out and didn't want to be outside. (Duh. I already told you that.) I was furious and wanted to go pick her up. But I held my ground and said keep her for the weekend, because if we take her back, I don't want to have to give her up again.
There is a wonderful woman at the South Louisiana Collie Rescue named Karen. I have spoken with Karen in the past about collies that needed to be rescued from kill shelters. But never about adoptions. They do home visits, and ask on their application if you have permission from your land lord to keep a dog. There's no way we would have been approved. But I had emailed her to tell her that we were the ones getting Colleen. She was so excited for me because she knew how much we wanted a collie. Why she never asked why I didn't want one from her, I don't know. They have a $175 adoption fee, versus $30-75 at animal contols. I'm guessing she assumed it was the cost.
She emailed me at 10:30 Friday night and told me that Laura had called her, crying about how she messed everything up for Tippy. She didn't want to keep the dog for the weekend like I asked her to. Instead of waiting to call me on Monday and offer me the dog back, she wanted to sign Tippy over to the collie rescue and let them find her a good home. She was so afraid of making the wrong decision that she wanted the rescue to find Tippy a family. She asked me if we wanted Tippy back.
I was furious that I made Laura promise to call me if she really truly didn't want the dog, and she called the rescue instead of waiting two days. I emailed Karen back and told her yes, I wanted Tippy. I didn't sleep all night. I kept thinking about Tippy sleeping on the cold, wet ground (I found out tonight that she slept inside last night, but spent all day today in the pen outside). I kept telling myself that if we get Tippy back, I don't ever want to give her up again.
At 6 am, I emailed Karen. Told her that I love Tippy and want her back more than anything. And that if I got her back, I didn't want to lose her again. And told her about the 'no dogs' policy and explained the best I could. I told her that if she was still willing to let us have Tippy, I wanted her. But if she couldn't give her to us, I understood.
Karen called me this morning and said something I never thought I'd hear. She said she felt she had gotten to know me well through our emails, and she knew how much we loved Tippy and felt we would give Tippy a good home. Some things are more important than whether or not you have a fenced in yard. She told me that if we were to apply to adopt a dog from them, she would probably approve us. She said she had talked to Laura and told her I wanted Tippy back if she wasn't going to keep her. Asked Laura if she wanted to sign the dog over to her and I would adopt it from the rescue, or if she felt comfortable giving the dog back to me directly. Laura said the second would be best for Tippy.
I went over this evening and got Colleen back. We all missed her so much and are happy to have her back. Please please please pray that Laura doesn't change her mind again. If, God forbid, she does, we are going to try to adopt a collie from the rescue. But I love Colleen and hope that things work out so we can keep her.
It's been a heck of a weekend, that's for sure. But Colleen is home, where she belongs. And that's all that really matters in the end, isn't it?