Uses for dog hair.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Uses for dog hair..

Our dogs seem to shed like crazy! Allie hates being brushed, but tanner cant get enough.. i brushed him for an hour today, and still getting plenty of loose fur off him.. ever think of anything to do with all that hair? i did a search, and found a few ideas..
1. put outside for birds to make nests out of
2. put in garden to deter rodents..
(altho i wonder if it deters rodents.. would the birds really use it?)
And lastly.. which i found halarious.. theres a few websites i found where you could send it in, and they will spin it into yarn for you so you can make a lovely dog hair sweater..
and all this time ive been trying to figure out how to keep dog hair Off my clothes! hmm silly me
Dog Hair Yarn Custom Spinning

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

yea I was gonna say you could spin it into yarn but that would be kinda gross. I'm not calling your dogs dirty but well, it's just gross....haha

Since rodents are prey animals the fur in the garden might actually work...they smell the fur that smells like a dog then they stay away because they thing theres a predator around.

*Missy*
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
1. put outside for birds to make nests out of
I can vouch for that one.
When I brush my dog when she is shedding during the spring and summertime I do it outdoors and I leave the hair in the yard for the birds. I have seen them pick it up during the springtime. They are taking it for their nests, i would think. Im sure they arent eating it. My dog is part chow and sheds big fluffy pieces. I think the birds really appreciate it and I like to watch them take it and fly up into our big mulberry tree.

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Also if you put a lot of it out in the garden then it would rain and your veggies would smell like wet dog

*Missy*
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

My mom use to put dog fur in her garden to keep animals out. She tied strings around bunches of the fur and hung them from the fence around the garden. It looked silly, but it really did seem to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 04:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature View Post
I can vouch for that one.
When I brush my dog when she is shedding during the spring and summertime I do it outdoors and I leave the hair in the yard for the birds. I have seen them pick it up during the springtime. They are taking it for their nests, i would think. Im sure they arent eating it. My dog is part chow and sheds big fluffy pieces. I think the birds really appreciate it and I like to watch them take it and fly up into our big mulberry tree.
When i used to brush my rough collie i would keep all her fluffy fur and put it out in the garden for the birds, they would come down and collect the fur and make their nests with it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 04:45 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
yea I was gonna say you could spin it into yarn but that would be kinda gross. I'm not calling your dogs dirty but well, it's just gross....haha.
I don't see how it's gross, it would be washed and it's not any different then using wool from sheep.

I think it would be pretty cool. I would love to have a scarf or mittens made from my dogs fur. Talk about personalized!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we brush all the dogs outside (4 long haired dogs) and the birds are hoping all around when I do lol...drives the pups crazy lol...it didn't work to deter rodents for us, since we live in the country everytime a new building goes up the mice and rats are around and the fur doesn't bother them at all lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I always would brush my kitties outside and let the fur fly where ever for the birds. Now that I live in a house where we are so on top of eachother I try not to let it fly too much. I have brought it to work (it backs up to a wooded area) and put it outside there.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Haha. That's funny.

Just be sure the dogs don't get ahold of it. One of ours did, and then got really sick from it (threw up) cause it wouldn't digest. Just a little warning.