Vet says bed rest but it's getting worse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Vet says bed rest but it's getting worse

I have a big dog who started limping on his right hind leg. Took him to the vet and he said it appears to be a bone separation in the tendons above his hind toes. As per Doctor's orders he's been kenneled and allowed out only to go potty but it's getting worse and he won't put weight on it. Has anyone ever had seen this before and if so how was it treated? Vet says there is no surgery for it and they can't cast it.

Last edited by Idaho_Born; 03-11-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Is the crate small enough that he can't move around in it? That's the point of crating him. I would call the vet and voice your concerns. Most vets are happy to answer questions over the phone. You can always get a second opinion too. Maybe another vet would have some ideas that this one doesn't.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

He's a fairly large dog and he's in a pretty small kennel. He can turn around and lay down but walking around is out of the question.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this type of injury casted or the leg put in a sling? He was hopping around when we took him potty because of the pain and seemed to get around okay. Does anyone know if there is some type of sling for the hind leg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

I would get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion from different practices.

You should be able to take your original x-ray that was taken at your vets office with you (to save a little $).

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks. I'm still looking for someone who has seen this type of injury in a dog and how it was treated.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Newborn Pup

my dog didn't have that exact type of injury but he sprain/pulled muscles (unknown how). i took him to the vet and they did x-rays and said it must of been a sprain/pulled muscles. he was in so much pain, if you touched anywhere near that leg, he would bite. he couldn't put any weight on it, couldn't drop up on the bed or couch. the vet put him on pain killers. didn't have to kennel him or anything just gave him the pain killers and he was fine within a few days. i hope your dog gets better soon!

My Family
Fluff (Black lab, Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund mix)
Jete (American Shorthair)
Gordan (Chinese Dwarf Hamster) RIP 6-24-09

My Other family
Missy (Cocker Spaniel)
Fluff (Longhair cat)
Happy (Yellow Lab)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if it doesn't get better it would be best to amputate it as dogs can get along fine with 3 legs.

[/CENTER]

Tags
hind foot, hind leg, injured, limp