Walking - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Walking

Blitzen seems to want to walk me most of the time. I try to get his attention and look him straight in the eye and make him look me in the eye, and I tell him "NO" "NOOO" very sternly and he stops trying to pull me for a couple minutes. And then he starts again- full force. With the weather we have up here in the North, it's very hard to walk him and see where I'm going, especially at night. What can I do to stop him from walking me? I've tried the treat in my hand, but he jumps on my side and it's very cold to have my hand out in the cold for too long. What can I do to stop this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Part of the Pack

Start practicing in the house. Move a little, then a lot, change direction, rinse and repeat. Once you get a good follow around the house you can move it to the front of the house, then eventually down the street. He will soon have to watch your every move because you are so unpredictable. I recently saw a guy walking his dog. Making tight circles ever so often, changing directions in the middle of the street and pacing back and forth a few times. A year ago I would have wrote him off as a nutcase. It's a good exercise for you dog. Mentally and physically.

Something that I am desperately trying to change in myself is to stop talking to my dogs. When you hit his "excitement" wall outside you verbally correcting him is just background noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zylca; 01-17-2011 at 12:40 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Part of the Pack

Question: When he looks at you after you have stopped. You tell him "No"?

I get what you are telling him no for, not to pull. The verbal correction should be prior to the stop. That way he understands that if he doesn't fall back he doesn't get to move forward at all. The loose leash and eye contact gets the reward of moving ahead.

Come up with some other word for the correction. We apply no to everything. For example: What if "No" to him means - don't hump the baby. You tell him NO out on the walk and he could be thinking .."Why the **** does she keep telling me not to hump the baby?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'll try walking him in the house, it seems like a good idea. And I talk to him all the time. The vet told me it creates a bond, he already knows I'm his "Mommy". I talk to him while I'm getting his breakfast & dinner ready, even when I'm getting him a treat. I talk to him like I do with my daughter so he knows what everything is. Sometimes during the week when it's "Mommy & Blitzen time" (I say that because I babysit 3 other kids and when they're awake, I don't have a lot of time for him), I have him lay on my tummy and he puts his head down on my chest and I just talk to him (I'm not crazy, I promise lmao), or sometimes I just cuddle him. I feel like that he knows he's loved too.
I actually cannot beleive how much I am attached to this **** dog. 2 months ago, I would have never believed I'd own a dog..especially one as big as him. lol.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's kind of tedious, but there's another technique you can try (and I've done it with stubborn dogs). Whenever he pulls, stop and ignore him. Don't even say "no", just ignore him completely. When he stops (maybe even tell him to "sit") and calms down, praise him and start moving again. Repeat. It's annoying in the beginning because you won't get very far but it does work. After all, he's tugging because he's excited and wants to explore. If you stop, he won't get anywhere and will be forced to pay attention to you.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Betta Bomb

I agree with Sasami!! It really truly IS frustrating and the trick is to not the dog see you are impatient or bored or running off line. If this happens you let bpth yourself and the dog down and it will not work. But it does work in time!! 'popping' the leash every time he runs on its end is another way to remind him that you are in charge. He will just get so annoyed that he will behave.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I wouldn't use leash popping, personally. If anything, use a clicker or something to get the dog's attention. That shouldn't be needed anyways, the dog is already being "punished" by not getting to go where he wants to go . I haven't ever felt the need to add any extra negative reinforcement, even with painfully stubborn dogs (terriers and hounds, haha).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if you have a very short leash or a retractable one, that you lock into a short leash (its nice because once trained you can give more freedom if you like.) you have more control. Also there are harnesses, head collars that are anti pull.

Leave it is a good command. Why is he pulling? does he see a squirrel? paper to smell? or its he just pulling straight ahead cause he wants to go somewhere. if its exploring telling him to leave it (once he knows the command) can help.

I need to work on leash training with my dog again. I have a retractable leash and he knows he has 16 feet to explore but once its short he pulls some..

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Stopping as soon as he pulled actually helped a little, even though I had to start as soon as we stepped outside. And it took us about 30 min longer to do our usual walk lol. But it worked, so mommy's happy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

I use the stopping technique as well. It does make walks a lot slower for awhile but eventually Blitzen will get it and you'll have to stop because of him pulling less and less.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastie View Post
Stopping as soon as he pulled actually helped a little, even though I had to start as soon as we stepped outside. And it took us about 30 min longer to do our usual walk lol. But it worked, so mommy's happy
I'm glad to hear it .

~Stephanie

Tags
walking