Weening - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

My friends dogs are 4 weeks old. They have had teeth for about 5 days. Can he ween them now? That young. We have had to give some good milk formula because mom bites and scratches and was bleeding. Can we can wet puppy food and mush it up? They seem very hungry. I almost got malled today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 07:25 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats TOO young to wean the pups, they should not be weaned until 6-8 weeks, 8 weeks is best.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

But mom, has bloody cuts on her teets. They are biting and scratching and she is not happy.
I know its too young but I am worried abut infections and mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 08:26 PM

What breed are the dogs? Is this your friends first time raising a puppy litter? You should probaby call your Vet because of the mother having bloody cuts.

Here are a few internet sites I found. The first two say you can start as early as 3.5 weeks, although I've always heard 7 or 8 weeks. I hope these links are helpful for you and your friend.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=887

http://www.eukanuba.com/en_US/jhtmls...tml.3_A&_DAV=1

http://www.petplace.com/articles/art...sp?conID=22912
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 AM

i am with the person above me. Check first then choose.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Smile

It's normal for the mother dog to have some scratches on her. I wouldn't wean them just yet. Mom will know when it's time and nurse them less often. In the mean time they can be supplemented with baby cereal. The kind of human baby cereal that is dry and you mix it with puppy formula. Get the Gerber Oatmeal cereal, try to stay away from the rice cereal because that can bind up the bowels and you don't want constipated puppies!

You can eventually switch them over to softened puppy food. Soak the food in puppy formula, let it get mushy and mix it in with the cereal. Eventually switch them completely over to mushy puppy food. Once they're completely on puppy food soak it for less time until they're eventually eating hard puppy food.

I raised Boston Terrier puppies for quite a few years. That is what my vet had recommended and I always had healthy and happy puppies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Tahnks everyone.
They are pitbull mastife and sharpe.
i knwo I know. Ack!
But the neighbours doggie mounted both mum and daughter.

No, he has had litters before.

Tags
boston terrier, puppy food