Weirdest thing your dog has eaten? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Weirdest thing your dog has eaten?

What has your dog eaten that surprised you the most?

For me, it is when he was about 3 years old and he ate a lightbulb.
He is ok now, but I was so shocked when I found out that he ate it, now he is 11 years old.

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:14 PM

I don't think Charlotte has eaten anything too weird. She ate a bunch of books when she was a puppy (not all at one time, lol). One time my mom left a pan full of cookies on the counter to cool off and when she came back, Charlotte had eaten every last one. There were chocolate chips in them but not enough to harm her I guess because she was okay.

My cat ate a sewing needle once though. Emergency surgery and $600 later, he was fine. Haha, we no longer sew in my house.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Herp Nerd

My beagle has a particular taste for dryer lint for some odd reason. I have to make sure I put it in a trash can with a closing lid or he'll try to steal it.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 PM

Kali and Orion like to eat chinnie and rabbit poo...

I once had a rescue pitbull puppy that ate a Pepsi cap (we don't drink Pepsi in our house so he must have done it right before he came into rescue) How a 6 week old puppy can pass a Pepsi cap without ripping his little tushie out is beyond me, but he passed it himself the morning before surgery.

Things we've removed from intestines of dogs at work have been:
ping-pong balls
shoe laces
rocks (fairly common)
little bouncy balls
bottle caps
string
aluminum cans
sewing needles
thread spools
GI Joes and various other children's toys
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 PM

We had a dog for a while when I was little and the strangest thing I remember him eating was one of his leashes... He also ate half of a library book once, I had to take the other half in to school before the librarian would believe me...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:40 PM

When Natalie was younger, she kept eating what we thought was some plant outside- we never could figure out what it was. She had her stomach pumped 4 times. Whatever it was, it made her drunk- she staggered and slept really heavily and drooled a lot. The symproms were a little like antifreeze poisoning, so you can imagine how panicked we were. But not antifreeze- maybe a plant? We ended up paying someone to completely scalp our yard of all shrubs and flowers- everything- even though everything in the yard we identified as non-poisonous. But turned out it was not a plant at all. When Hogan and Natalie both got sick, we realized they were being poisoned. We had seen the neighbor stop in our yard- but didn't know what he was doing until hours later when both dogs were comatose and Hogan was having seizures. Hogan nearly died- they spent 2 nights in the hospital and we didn't think Hogan was going to make it. The vet identified it as a Narcotic- but what exactly we never found out. And the neighbor? Nothing happened to him. And nothing happened to him the for the five dogs he has shot and killed, either. Apparently you are supposed to sit around videotaping all the time in order to prove things here since the sheriff's department are not concerned with animal abuse enough to investigate.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

hmmm my babies have never eaten anything wierd lol except cat poo...that grosses me out, but I guess all dogs do it...my pops dog ate the fence and then tried to eat a tire...silly dog cost alot in vet bills lol but she was well loved...she also ate my grandmas nightie she hung to dry(but we told grandma we didn't know what happend as per papas orders lol) that required surgery to remove

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I dont think Allie has ever really eaten anything strange.. altho she does have a bit of a dryersheet fetish... she used to go into the pile of clean laundry and pull out the dryer sheet and play with it, i dont think she really tries to eat them tho.
When we were little we used to have a min pin named Brenna, She had a thing for crayons.. took us a few days to figure it out, we kept complaining to our mum that our crayons were missing, and she said we lost them, Then one day we were out cleaning the yard we ran inside telling mom the dog had rainbow poops! (we were way to young to understand the connection) And of course She lectured us about putting things away when we were done with them. But then that night we were all watching tv in the living room, and the dog jumped up on the book shelf where we kept the basket of crayons, took 2 or 3 out and went to hide with them and have her self a lil snack! lol.. needless to say mom was wrong and we got ice cream for dinner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Leo

My dog Ed once ate 5 boxes of leftover valentines chocolate (Gunner ate a few too) ... he got really sick and had to be on prescription SD and meds for over a month to restore the lining of his stomach & intestines ... he has never been the same since and will have random bouts of puking & diarrhea for no reason ....

Leo loves to chew up my daughter's flip flops only hers no one else's, just enough to wreck the strap so they aren't wearable and then he leaves them alone.... My daughter has gone through at least 10 pairs of flip flops this summer... I keep telling her to pick them up and set them on the shoe shelf, because she gets all upset when he ruins them, but tonight she forgot and he ruined another pair UGH!!!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I had a collie that ate a flannel shirt. We didn't realize it until he went out to go potty and we saw it hanging out of his butt. Why he did that is beyond me....what's even more puzzling is how he managed to pass it through his system...buttons and all!

Rhonda

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 AM

I can't for sure say what the weirdest thing my dog has eaten other than the usual video rental case and once a cat bell that I had to take him into the vet to get special fiber dog food so he could pass it. But I can remember the scariest thing he ate and it was tile grout!! I panicked and called the vet and he eventually calmed me down and got me to stop crying and told me to either bring him in a pay a heck of alot of charcoal or go get a bottle of paroxide and give my baby to teaspoons full to make him throw it all back up, I opted for the cheaper version and kept a close eye on him for like a month just to make sure he wasn't really hurt. To date he is 4 years old and still a character and getting into things he shouldn't and giving me a hard time. But I love him and just happy he is still here with me, regardless of the problems that erupt with him medically at times.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

my mum had a dog while growing up that ate elastic string they didn't know until he did his business and it went bouncing after him.

growing up my dog use to go in to our garden and pick a carrot and eat it being sure not to disturbe any of the other carrots just the one she wanted and would only eat one a day. Once she was eating the carrots we knew that they were ready to be picked. As while when ever we would go in to the garden to pick tomatoes we would have to pick her a couple of cherry tomatoes one day we tried to trick her and acted like we had picked her some and tossed her a couple of cherry tomatoes that we had in teh house and the dog wouldn't eat them. she had to have fresh vegis it was the funniest thing we have seen.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rocky has eating crayons before but other then that I can't think of anything too weird our dogs have eaten...they really don't tend to eat random objects .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 AM

Bekha hasn't eaten anything too odd. She loves guinea pig and rabbit poo. And also guinea pig and rabbit dry food! My uncle's dog on the other hand eats just about everything, he eats even soap.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Tucker eats stuffed animals, which surprised me, because even though Ein tears apart toys, he never ate them.

They both eat timothy hay. Any time I put hay in the chin cage and the degu cage, they eat up whatever falls on the floor. I've even caught Ein reaching his little tounge into the degu cage (sits on the floor because it is so tall) and steal some of their hay right out of the cage. I can't imagine hay tastes very good, but they love it for some reason.

Tags
animal abuse, cat food, dog food, dry food, guinea pig, stuffed animal, stuffed animals, timothy hay