We're going to get a PUPPY!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

We're going to get a PUPPY!!!!

Well..... As most of you know, our gorgeous Indie had to get PTS, not so long ago, and we've missed him SOOOoo much!
Well, My mum works in a post office as manager, so she is there all the time and this lady got talking to her, saying that her Female dog (Which is a german shepard) is coming into season and she is going to breed her with a GSD, which is a dark haired colour and she asked if we would like one of the puppies and my mum said YES!!
So, they will be born around febuary time and be ready for us to take at about april time next year
I'm so excited I can't wait!!
I had to share
We will get a male and they will be long haired, but we don't mind!
I can't wait heheehe!
xxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 11-26-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: It edited out a word in put in that meant female dog =S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Guarded by Waffles

congrats!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Congrats! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How exciting! A German Shepherd, yay! I bet you can't wait!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Congrats hun! That's great news, I know how upset you were to lose Indie. The new pup will have a lot to live up to! I hope he's a great addition to your family. Keep us updated!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm sorry about Indie, I know it is hard. I'm happy you can have a knew pup to love.

Be sure to make sure the breeder is a good one and everything is on the up and up. Not doing so could be heartbreaking all over again (if you get a sick pup or one with a genetic defect). I'd hate to see anyone go through that just because a breeder didn't know what they were doing wanting to simply breed without proper knowledge.

The main thing to make sure is that both parents have had their hips tested/certified good against hip dysplasia. This is common in GSDs and should be screened against as its genetic. You want to make sure that dogs within the pedigree also don't have this nor that they have been inbred on a dog who has had HD. HD can be anywhere from mild with a dog who gets along for most their life or severaly crippling at a young age which often leaves dogs having to be PTS or undergo an expensive hip replacement surgery. There are a lot of other things to watch out for and check about but thats the biggest concern. Besides health don't forget temperament either. Are you guys getting to meet the parents, maybe grand parents, ect. GSDs are a popular breed which means they can be overbred with temperament problems. Hope that helps. Can't wait to see pics.

Check Them Out

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

oh congrats!! I'm so happy for you.

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Rodentologist

Agree with Spicy_Bulldog. We had a GSD as a kid that a lady up the road bred just to make puppies. I loved that dog to death and was heart broken when he developed hip displaysia. Both of his parents had it too.

If you wanted a GSD puppy, to be completely honest, the shelters are absolutely overrun with GSD mixes. They're far from rare. Why not save a life?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 05:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

Congrats!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Will It Ever Change?

congrats!! and research because I do believe GSD are genetically prone to hip problems??

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Okays, Thanks for your reply everybody!
I'm sorry I didn't give you more information earlier, however, I've been trying to find out as much about the dogs that are being bred that I can and I have found out a lot and seen the dogs (Infact, I've seen them in the mornings being walked when I go to work LOL)
The dogs are both BRILLIANT! The woman hand-bought up both the male and female together, they have exellent temprements, they follow every command the owner gives and they are always by her side in the click of her fingers! The dogs are both really healthy and the woman has taken them to the vets to get them both a check up and make sure everythings okay.
I am doing a lot of research about GSD puppies.
Btw; Jennicat; Indie was a GSDx and he was from a rescue, but we originally was going to get a puppy, until we were talked out of it by my Dad, than after a month or so, he died. So, thats why we want to get a puppy, we are going to do everything properly and the breeder is breeding her dogs so that people get good quality, not for the money, even though she will expect us to pay LOL.
The dogs are pedigree and I do remember seeing them as puppies. The lady who owns them said she would help us bring up the puppy if we want and give us some guidens, so everythings cool with the world
I can't wait until April LOL
Thanks again
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Congratulations .. A german shepherd will be wonderful friend for you I think. But there is one thing, now this german shepherd will need another dog from the opposite sex and perhaps need friends around it to play. I want to suggest you something about these friends if you want to get. If you choose Turkish Kangal and caucasian ovcharka together as a friend for your german shepherd this will be excellent. And you will be most lucky human in this world. Because german shepherd, caucasian ovcharka and turkish kangal are so beautiful dog breeds. I have seen them. But be careful, they must be real purebred dogs, not mixes. This is my suggestion : Take german shepherd, caucasian ovcharka and turkish kangal together in your garden. You will really like them. Here are their videos:

Caucasian ovcharka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhAnewKLW38

German shepherd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlA0b-YI3rk

Turkish Kangal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVA1-ibnKg0

These three breeds will be wonderful together..They are real family dogs..
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDog View Post
Congratulations .. A german shepherd will be wonderful friend for you I think. But there is one thing, now this german shepherd will need another dog from the opposite sex and perhaps need friends around it to play. I want to suggest you something about these friends if you want to get. If you choose Turkish Kangal and caucasian ovcharka together as a friend for your german shepherd this will be excellent. And you will be most lucky human in this world. Because german shepherd, caucasian ovcharka and turkish kangal are so beautiful dog breeds. I have seen them. But be careful, they must be real purebred dogs, not mixes. This is my suggestion : Take german shepherd, caucasian ovcharka and turkish kangal together in your garden. You will really like them. Here are their videos:

Caucasian ovcharka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhAnewKLW38

German shepherd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlA0b-YI3rk

Turkish Kangal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVA1-ibnKg0

These three breeds will be wonderful together..They are real family dogs..
I strongly disagree and oppose the idea. I would never make such a recommendation to the average owner, especially a 13yr old. Not that these dogs are not great with kids because they are, mine loves the entire family.

Kangal and CO are not dogs for the average pet owner and raising both + a GSD would be a huge undertaking for even those who know what they're getting into. Most people do not have the time, space or will for such dogs nor do they need a dog with a high defense drive. Not to mention the cost associated with owning large dogs and taking up space inside the home, a lot of people know their dog will grow big but once it does it is a problem and both those breeds can be very large, bigger then a GSD. Having 3 dogs to raise with different temperament/needs like prey drive, lots of excercise, training, socialization, defense drive, ect is not easy. Raising, training and socializing a GSD I'm sure will be enough for them. The LGDs need a lot of socialization and proper raising to have a good dog on your hands. They are also very independent which can be a challenge for many people. Not to mention alert and could cause problems with night barking (not all will though), then liking to have a lot of area to run and inspect, to be in charge of and protect their "flock". They are best suited to working homes but can make good pets with the right owner.

While they are meant to get along and work together this doesn't mean everything always runs smoothly. It is also impossible to have 3 dogs of oppsosite sex since there are only 2 genders. Even those of opposite sex can have issues as I've seen them teeth baring and snarling until one submits and lets the other be boss. While they are primitive breeds who can usually work things out on their own this doesn't mean an injury never occurs or that you just end up with 2 that are both very dominant and are going to continue to both try and be top dog. I'm sure this isn't what the average owner has in mind for a pet. So there is no way to guarantee all 3 will be wonderful together.

Dogs do not have to have a canine playmate to be happy. You don't have to get more dogs for them to have friends. A GSD can be fine having a friend or fine without. My BIL recently had to have their female dog PTS but during the years they had her his male GSD never cared to play with her. He loves and people, likes to follow them, lay around the house or have their attention. He is not now deprived because he has no canine companion.

Just because dogs are beautiful is no reason to get them and those 2 breeds are a big responsibility. If more people made sure the breed they liked fit into their lifestyle and didn't just get one because it is cute or beautiful we'd have less dogs being dumped or rehomed with behavior problems, ect.

Check Them Out

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks again, but we are definatly just getting the one dog. I don't think it would be fair to have more than one because there won't be room for all of them and our hearts are set on a GSD so I to, don't think thats a good idea.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
puppy