Wet Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wet Food

Does anybody feed their dogs wet food and if so how much???

In the UK all we ever fed our dogs on was wet food but over here it is more biscuits and I wanted my Indy to have wet food or I feel that he is not getting enough food so I give him a quarter of a huge tin and then the rest of the time biscuits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I don't feed my dogs canned food. It is bad for the teeth.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've tried canned food for Gumbo and wound up with a smelly mess for poo. I wouldn't feed it as the sole diet either, as Chrisanne mentioned it doesn't help in keeping the teeth clean like raw or 'kibble' will.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

he has loads of bones and big crunchy biscuits.
I guess it is just a thing because all my other dogs always ate it. Never had problems with any of their teeth.
I do not want him to starve...

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Naked Dog Mom

Every once in awhile we'll let Ein have about 1/4 can (soup size can, not sure the weight) mixed with his dry food (we give him less dry food to make up for it) as a treat. Too much gives him runs, though.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well Biscuit doesn't get any canned food at all...but she's fed on a barf diet

Cindy, my childhood dog, has eaten canned food her whole life. she refused the dry stuff and we just knew no better. At 14, I've tried to change her diet a little bit and she just vomits it back up. She does get a bone every morning though which helps with her teeth but her teeth are by no means perfect and I won't feed any other dog I own a solely canned food diet either. If cindy was younger I'd be trying a lot harder to change her diet but she's really spending her last couple of months with me and I'd rather see her at least being able to eat at this stage in her life.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 08:00 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

My mom feeds Baby canned food cuz she is so spoiled we gave her that as a puppy then she would hardly eat the dry so I didnt even get Zoe started on the wet food. Baby always has dry food readily available and eats on it occassionally but by no means would she be happy with that as a meal.

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've never fed any of my dogs canned food. Not good for their teeth and it's smelly anyway, hehe.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I will never ever feed my dog or cats canned food other than as just a treat. It's not only bad for their teeth, but it's so messy and smelly. I'll stick with the dry.

Karen

[

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Part of the Pack

My dogs are very spoiled they have dry left out but also a moist food (not canned) it's like morsels in individually wrapped bags. Spoiled boogers. The cats also have dry left out, but get canned daily.

Cowgirls are like barbwire, handle with care.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

No canned food here either. For the same reasons that others stated (stinky poo and bad for teeth). We got a case of cans free when we bought our last bag of food, I donated it to the local shelter here.

~ Jodi ~

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I feed just dry here. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with feeding a little canned over dry food. For older dogs that don't drink enough water to keep their kidney's healthy, moistened dry food or canned food can be great for them. Sometimes bad teeth is hereditary anyway. I have a corgi that has always eaten dry food. He can have a dental procedure done professionally and within 3 months his teeth are horried. He is the only one that won't let me brush his teeth too.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 03:56 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I see nothing wrong with canned food... my dogs do not get it all the time, and if they do, its maybe one can every four days or so... i was feeding it to Natalya to hopefully put some weight on her, but she wouldnt eat the dry food... so now the only get it if i feel they've been good, and im home to let them out after its been digested (it used to give natalya an upset stomach but i think shes adjusted to it)... i like it but in no way would they get it every day or even every other day, it gets to be so expensive!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Miss New Booty

Nope, no canned food here, either. I think an occasional treat is fine, but they are only fed dry.

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My retrievers on dried food all the time but my lhasa has to have canned for medical reasons. Dried food is better for the dog long term but as an occasional treat or part of a healthy diet a little wet food doesn't hurt

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
barf diet, canned food, dry food, local shelter, older dog, wet food