At what age do borderline small/medium breed dogs stop growing? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

At what age do borderline small/medium breed dogs stop growing?

I never know if I should refer to my guy as a small breed or a medium. Some places say small breed is up to 20 pounds, others say up to 25. He's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and breed standard is 25-27 pounds. For a dog that size, what age is average for "full grown"?

I mentioned in an earlier thread that he's had more appetite since being neutered, and I'm just curious to know when he should be at his adult weight. I'm keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get overweight. But it would help if I had a rough idea of when he should be at his 25-27 pounds.

He'll be 7 months old next Saturday and is about 24-ish pounds (according to our bathroom scales. I guessed the best I could, which isn't easy with a wiggly puppy. When he was netuered 16 days ago, they clocked him in at 22. He's definitely a little bigger than he was then.) Should he be almost at his adult weight at seven months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Well every dog is different. But from my experience smaller breeds usually are full grown at about 12 months but can take as long as 18 months, where medium breeds usually max out about 14-18 months and larger breeds can take up to 24 months.
I usually consider a medium breed to be from 25-50 pounds. However it also depends on the height, where corgi's are concerened I would classify them as a small breed only because of their height. However I'm sure some will say "medium"
As far as him being of full weight at 7 months, that can happen, because even though he is of weight to the breed's standards doesn't mean he is fully grown, his bones and muscles are still developing so he may begin to fill out a bit as well
Old 02-06-2005, 09:09 PM

I agree with Kim. Generally, my little dogs were done growing by about a year.

Now my big dog is a year and half and still growing. Yikes. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Or you can call him like we call Seamus ... "small-medium!" They're in-between!

At nine months, Seamus has seemed to stop growing and is now just working on getting his handsome male sheltie coat in. So, I would say a corgi would probably be the same and finish his actual growing between 9-12 months of age.

I did some quick research and most sites agree the pembroke corgi (male) should weigh between 25-30 lbs., so it sounds like he's just about there.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't growing too fast and wasn't overweight/too big. He doesn't seem overweight; he just seems to be growing awfully quickly.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgimom
He doesn't seem overweight; he just seems to be growing awfully quickly.
Don't they always? Too bad they can't stay cute babies forever.

He's probably have a little growth spurt. Seamus had one about the same age. Man, he was one strange looking dog when he went through it, too. Nothing looked proportionate on him.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Old 02-08-2005, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

I think alot of people would probably say that corgis are never proportionate, so I understand.

He's the first dog I've ever had, so thanks for helping me.

Tags
pembroke welsh corgi