What Breed am I? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What Breed am I?

Hi all. I'm trying to figure out what breed(s) of dog my pound puppy is and was hoping maybe you guys could help. I have heard Rhodesian Ridgeback, Harrier and just recently, Shiba Inu. He's about 1 1/2 years old, and weighs 42 pounds. He's fairly short, about 3 feet tall and I don't think he'll get any bigger. We got him in October and he's a wonderful dog, but very hyper, and loves to run away when he sneaks out. He's been able to keep up with me in the car at 25 mph. When he gets upset or agitated, the hair on his back stands up like a Ridgeback, altho it's not there all the time. Any help would be awesome. Thanks so much.

Becky
Proud Mommy to Sammi and Leigh (my girls)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Playful Pup

I don't have any input on what he may be, but gosh is he ever a handsome boy!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 06:24 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Maybe some boxer in there ? .... Other than that, I dunno ...

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Not sure what he is but he's cute!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

a ridgeback will have that hair stand always. Looks like maybe lab/chow He's adorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

You know, I figured that the Ridgebacks will always have that hair stand up, but he really has the hair stand up when he's irritated. And there is definitely a defined dark line of hair down his back. It just doesn't stand up much. He doesn't have chow in him, since there is no black or purple on his tongue. I have thought boxer. The pound told me Pit Bull at first, but I don't think so. Thanks for all the compliments. We think he's pretty darn cute too.

Becky

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I'm not too sure the breed, but he sure is handsome!!

When we adopted Harley from the shelter, we were told she was a chow/sheltie mix. We don't see any sheltie in her. We definitely see the chow, based on the color of her tongue. The vet today seemed to think either dingo or shiba inu.

Karen

[

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Newborn Pup

I can see the Pit/Staff terrier in there.
I am from the UK so our dogs sometimes look alittle different.
If he's three foot tall, is this to the shoulder? or top of his head?
I would think he's too tall to even be X Shiba. Also at 42lbs he's no light weight. He looks a good sized dog. Extremely nice looking animal.
There could just be so many 'mixes' in him that it will be impossible to tell.
Of course, and I'm biased here, there could be some Bullmastiff or Rottie in there as well.
Bottom line is do you really care? Of course not he's a member of your family now and it doesn't matter a jot. He's gorgeous and he's yours.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 01:16 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansale
When he gets upset or agitated, the hair on his back stands up like a Ridgeback, altho it's not there all the time.
Dogs raise the hair on their back (called piloerection) when they feel threatened or scared in order to make themselves look bigger and more scary to their enemy (this is also seen in cats).

In the Rhodesian Ridgeback, the hair that grows along the spine is not really "raised." It grows in the opposite direction from the other hairs on the dog ("against the grain").

Hope this was a bit helpful on clarifying the hair-raising question.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for all the info. You're right, I don't really care what kind he is. He's cute, wonderful and mine all mine. LOL It's mainly just because everyone always asks. And, I've seen a couple other traits on him that are Ridgeback, so that's the real reason I think he's one. My friend had one, and said that he definitely has some in him. Thanks again everyone, for all the info and the compliments.

Becky

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

On the side view of his head I thought pit. He's definitely a cute dog.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

From the side view his head looks a little like a greyhound's, but his body is to large for that. I really have no clue what he could be but he is a handsome and gorgeous dog!

Tags
pit bull