What breed/s of dog do you have? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Post What breed/s of dog do you have?

Just doing a quick recap of the breeds of dogs everyone has here!

What do you have? What breeds have you owned? What's the largest number of dogs you have owned at one time? What breed would you like to have someday?

I have a Red Doberman whom I absolutely adore!

I have owned dogs since I was very young and I have owned a few different breeds. I've had a couple of special mutts, a Llahsa Apso, a Collie, many Boston Terriers, and my Doberman. (I'm sure I'm forgetting something here) Obviously I didn't have all of these dogs at the same time, just to clarify! The most dogs I have owned at one time was 4, all Bostons.

"Family" dogs included a Toy Fox Terrier, Bassett Hound, a Lab, 2 German Sheperds. My mom also had a Great Dane and now a Weimeraner that I call mine too.

When I get my own house I'm thinking of adopting a retired greyhound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:21 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette - you have a red dobe ?? My best friend and her hubby drove 3 and a half hours to pick up the one we had where I work, she's their pride and joy! We have "Konley", a male red at work, and the one my friend took was a stud fee puppy. Is yours as cuddly and loveable as they are ? It's unreal how much Konley wants to be hugged and smooched on. And "Mouse" (don't ask me - her Daddy named her) thinks she's a lap dog.
Anyways ... back on topic now ...
Blackie is a cocker/yorkie mix, and Dutchy - well, best we could tell his momma was a bassett/doxie mix, and they think the father was a neighbor's German Shepherd (gads, what a combo). They are my first doggies. Years ago I took in a friends lab/rottie/pit bull mix when he went to prison, and found her a home in the country, she was such a great girl - but just didn't belong in a trailer court. She was the love of Blackie's life and it was so hard to let her go, but I knew I had to for her sake.
Breeds I like - Papillons have stolen my heart, I love the look of the Bischon ... bull terriers crack me up. My hubby insists we're getting an English Bulldog someday (gee honey, we can buy a decent used car, or a dog)
But, the "perfect" dog for me ? The homeliest down-on-his-luck doggie stuck in a cage at the pound - even though I work for a breeder, I just wouldn't feel right buying a doggie, when there are so many throw-aways.

Sharon
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:26 PM

We currently own a lab/chow mix, a sheltie/husky mix, and a Pitt mix..... The largest breed I've owned are these 3, the largest amount of dogs owned at one time are these 3.... and the dog(s) I want someday when we own land and come back from Italy will be a Great Dane or 2, and the hubby wants his German Sheppards.... I am thinking one of each that'll make 4 lol.... don't know if 6 would be a great idea, not to mention we both would like a small dog as well.... But like I said that will happen over the years and definitely after we've come back from our 3 year tour in Italy and have bought the land we want, so we would have the space for the "future" dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My Dobe loves to be loved on. When most people think of Dobes they imagine the mean junkyard type dog. Not mine. She's actually a big chicken, not to mention very silly and playful.

My mom had an English Bulldog (I knew I was forgetting something!) She passed away at the young age of 10 months! The vet believes it was from a heart attack.

I had been researching Bull Terriers for my mom. I think they would be a good dog, but most of the breeders want about $1500 for them, plus you have to sign a no breeding contract and other things. One breeder wanted to be notified if we were to move out of state. The least expensive breeder I found was $1000. No thanks, I can rescue alot of animals for that kind of money!

Rhonda

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 01:36 AM

Mutts! I've never had a certain breed of dog, just puppies we've found along the way that needed a home.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 05:34 AM

We have 2 dachshunds
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:00 AM

We have a shihtzu/yorkie mix named Cookie. She is almost six and we got her two years ago. My daughter had wanted a dog as far as I can remember so we waited until that summer two years ago so she could help with traning a new dog. We were going to look around to see what kind of dog we wanted when I got a phone call from a friend of a friend. This lady had a dog but because of her health problems she had to go out of town for her doctors apppointments and always had to find someone to take care of Cookie. It was perfect for us! Cookie was trained and a very social dog. It worked out for everyone!

She has a very annoying habit though. When it is time to go to bed she hops in my daughters bed and won't let anyone tell her goodnight. She just about bites your hand off. Same thing if you check on one of the other kids in the night cookie is right there protecting them! Then the next morning she is up in your lap licking you just like nothing happened last night! Go figure, silly dog!
She is a big part of our family and don't know what I'd do without her.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:26 AM

We have one dog now named Ginger. She is a collie/austrian shepard mix. And the only other dog that we had as a family had was a dalmation named Elton. He was a sweety that we had to put down due too degenerative nerve damage.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:36 PM

German Shepard - wasn't really mine was my mom's boyfriends when I was little but I took care of him
Pit bull - we found the weirdo running loose on the beach
Siberian Husky - we adopted him from previous owners and he died from this uncontrollable red mange. At one point we even had to completely shave him.
Dalmation puppy - He was a suprise and so uncontrollable. (sigh, sometimes parents make bad call and my parents had to give him away) I look back now and realize he was probably deaf but at that time no one really knew too much about that.
2 pitt bulls - that I rescued that I love tremendously and are my first dogs that are truly mine.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Erin

What do you have?
We have a 47 pound lab/boxer mutt and a 73 pound mutt that it's not clear what exactly he is

What breeds have you owned?
We've also had a shephard/collie mix and a shephard/husky mix in the past.

What's the largest number of dogs you have owned at one time?
The two we have now is the most we've had at once.

What breed would you like to have someday?
I'm not selective, I do like them to be medium and up in size though I don't like little dogs too much(for myself, other people's little dogs are cute!)

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 01:55 PM

Yorkie/Poodle mix - Snooper
Chihuahua - Tito
Hopefully, maybe, hopefully a boxer mix soon....

We had a German Shepherd, Bach, for 9 years...He was my hubby's "boy". They were best friends.

Largest #at one time? 3

My someday dog....would be a greyhound. And of course hubby is on the look out for another Shepherd breeder....
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 05:53 PM

Post Meeeeeeeeeeeeee

What do you have?
Currently I have pomeranians & 1 pit bull.

What breeds have you owned?
Pomeranians, Pit Bull, Siberian Husky, Daushounds, German Shepard

What's the largest number of dogs you have owned at one time?

What breed would you like to have someday?
Golden Retriever
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:37 PM

Thanks to Pokey we, now have a Cockerspaniel named Abiagail!

Last edited by heavensmom; 05-20-2003 at 07:44 PM.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 08:56 PM

We currently have Sam, a German Shepard Mix, he must be 12 years old now, he was my husband's before we were married.

My MIL has a beagle, Tilly, she was rescued from a puppy mill, and she was a mill. They got her when she was 6 years old, and is probably the only Beagle in the world that absolutely does not bark, she is probably was abused because for the longest time, she was deathly afraid of my BIL, now when he comes to visit, they are the best of friends. The only time she barks is when she has nightmares. Tilly is also my MIL's touchstone through her cancer, and my MIL is Tilly's because they are lost without eachother when my MIL is in the hospital.

Growing up, I had a shepard named Sally, she died when she was 18, she was my protector in ways I can be forever grateful. I also had a poodle-shelty named Pepper, she was my baby, and died when she was 18, 11 years past her life expectancy due to a seizure disorder, instead of dieing, the seizures stopped. Then we had a black lab-cocker mix, Randywho was a big baby, and he died when 9 due to Kushing's disease, that was tragic.

Two weeks after Randy died, my parents got Toby, who was supposed to be a Jack Russell. Surprise! He's a 100 lb Rottie mix. After Pepper died, Toby missed her terribly, and my parents were on a waiting list to get a placid cat friendly greyhound, but my father came across Dutchie at the local animal shelter. She was slated to be put down the next day when he saw her. She was 20 lbs under weight. When she was brought home, Toby said "Thank you, thank you, thank you." As she started to gain weight, her skin stretched, as her skin stretched, the scars appeared. Long story short, she was severely tortured. With time, her physical and emotional scars seemingly disappeared. She and Toby are Ying and Yang. One of the reasons my parents have their kittens, is because Dutchie wanted them. When Buddy and Prince were kittens, ( I told the story in the cat section) Cleo only allow Dutchie to be near them.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 09:49 PM

I have a retired racing greyhound--5 years old, 75 pounds. As a kid, my family had a miniature black poodle--smartest dog on the face of the earth. In college, I took in a golden retriever that was apparently a stray.

Tags
animal shelter, australian cattle dog, australian shepherd, basset hound, black lab, border collie, border collie mix, boston terrier, bull terrier, bull terriers, cattle dog, chow mix, cocker spaniel, collie mix, dog training, family dog, german shepard, german shepherd, golden retriever, humane society, husky mix, jack russell, jack russell terrier, lab mix, lap dog, lhasa apso, local animal shelter, local humane society, pit bull, pit bull mix, puppy mill, shih tzu, siberian husky, terrier mix, toy fox terrier, wonderful pets, yellow lab