What breeds howl? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

What breeds howl?

I have a 13 month old Husky cross. The family that we got him from said that he has Chow in him, but we just don't see it. At one point, my husband had him in the park where he ran into a local vet who told him that he thought that he might have wolf in him. He looks just like a pure Husky except for his ears sort of flop down in the middle, other than that, they stand straight up. He has all of the Husky markings and is black and cream. He also has all of the Husky personality traits. What confused us even more was when he started howling. I heard somewhere that only hounds and wolves howl. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time . I am just really curious what breeds Gryphon could have in him. Also, he is a better mouser than our two cats.
Any thoughts? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:08 PM

Huskys howl as well. He may very well have wolf in him though. A picture would be great to help.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:37 PM

Our Lab, AJ, howls. But usually it's only when he hears a siren. My Cocker Spaniel also used to howl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 12:35 AM

I agree with Chrisanne and a picture would be helpful Husky's are known to howl, as various other breeds.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 02:59 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Every husky I've ever known has been a howler. Howling is VERY, VERY, VERY common in the Nordic breeds. But we've even had a rottie and a GSD once that howled when the train went by.

Kirby (our samoyed) doesn't so much howl but makes "wooo woo" sounds. Seamus, however, howls (and he's a sheltie)!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:25 AM

I know a boston terrier that howls with you when you sing happy birthday.

Is your Husky very large for his breed, is he leaner than you would expect a husky or a chow for that matter. And most importantly, can he sneak up on you without being heard? I've noticed that wolf-hybrids are huge dogs. They tend to be longer and leaner than a husky. One of the best known traits, from what wolf hybrid owners have told me, is that they have an ability to be completely silent when walking up to you. You can just sit there and the next thing you know there will be a dog sitting right next to you in your face (not aggressively, just there) A girl that used to work for the shelter owned one. She would never tell anyone what he was but you could see it plain as day. We asked her and she said yes but she didn't want anyone to know because it scares people and they are trying to pass laws to ban them.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

My white Shepherd howls here and there. It doesn't help too much because everyone thinks she's a wolf.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:45 AM

No howlers here. Except our GSD, Bach, used to howl in his sleep sometimes.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww yes we would love to see a picture of him! My dachshunds howl! My hound dogs! One time, we had the blinds open at the apt. We went to the car to get something, came back up and there is Kahlua on the couch, like he is king of the castle, howling with his head in the air!!!!! He didn't even see us come up!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 11:03 PM

My chihuahua howls and I've even heard one of her 6-week-old pups howl once (he wanted me to let him out of his kennel). LOL All of the beagles I grew up with howled too.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
I know a boston terrier that howls with you when you sing happy birthday.

Is your Husky very large for his breed, is he leaner than you would expect a husky or a chow for that matter. And most importantly, can he sneak up on you without being heard? I've noticed that wolf-hybrids are huge dogs. They tend to be longer and leaner than a husky. One of the best known traits, from what wolf hybrid owners have told me, is that they have an ability to be completely silent when walking up to you. You can just sit there and the next thing you know there will be a dog sitting right next to you in your face.
That sounds exactly like my Aunt's dog Misty. She was a wolf-hybrid and she was very lean and slender looking, and she was very quiet. The way she moved and ran was different than most dogs. She also howled all the time and never barked and she had one blue eye and one brown eye. She was a very sweet dog although she made me nervous at times because she was so wolf-like!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 07:18 AM

A dog that howls-even if it ONLY howls, no barking-will not always be part wolf. I have met many dogs who never bark, only howl. My neighbor had a boxer who only barked when he was lonely, other than that he would howl. If your dog looks just like a husky except with floppy ears, then he probably wouldn't have very much wolf in him, if any.

~Seij
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Pics of Gryphon

I'm not sure if I did this right but Here are some pictures of Gryphon.

We measured him and he is 25 inches at the shoulder, 27 inches from shoulder to rump, and about 90 pounds. I looked this up and I gusse that it is a little big. He is only about 14 months old.

As for being sneeky, my husband and I will be lying in bed, Gryphon will slink into the room and make off with the husbands slippers. The only way that we know that he has done this is when he needs them and they are gone. He as learned, finaly, that he is going to be staked out at night (due to destructive behavior and escaping), so he hids in the house. Sometimes it can take from 15 to 20 minuts to find him.

We have had to buy a roll of chicken wire to raise our fence another two feet because Gryphon can leap like a gazzel. We also ran extra wire around the yard to reenforce the wooden parts of the fence. We had to get VERY large rocks to put where he has dug under the fence. Some of the people who have walked by have told us that he will frequently get into the bed of the truck and scare the out of people. This is not good, as we live next to to the towns video store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gryphonbeach4.jpg (45.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Jack & Gryphon 6-5-04 #2.jpg (17.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg gryphonbeach3.jpg (18.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg gryphon 14 months 2.jpg (16.4 KB, 22 views)
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 08:31 PM

What a pretty boy! I don't see any wolf, but he sure sounds like a handful! I am glad you have taken the time to deal with his behaviors. A lot of people would just dump their dog if it was that hard to take care of.

~Seij
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 11:11 PM

He's more likely to get the flop in his ear from a chow than from wolf. Does he have any black or purple on his tongue? I have a dog that has a bit of chow in her but the only way you can tell is because she has black on her tongue.

Tags
boston terrier, chicken wire, cocker spaniel, german shepard, siberian husky