WHAT!? This CAN'T be happening ... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Angry WHAT!? This CAN'T be happening ...

My house has FLEAS! And honestly, I have no idea what to do, guys!

First, last week some strange red bumps started showing up on Sami's legs and I told him it was probably just mosquito bites since Finland gets a lot of mosquitos in the summer.

Well, today while I was on the computer, I felt a tickle on my leg and when I looked down, it was a FLEA! I killed it immediately and told Sami, "There was a flea on me!" At first he didn't believe me and said that lots of small bugs could look like a flea. I said, "No, I'm from Louisiana. I KNOW what a flea looks like!" Well, then he goes to look at Kirby and there was a flea resting on top of his hair.

Later on, we find one on Gerona and then I find TWO on my legs while I was resting on the couch.

So, tomorrow Sami is going to go buy some flea stuff from the pharmacy but I'm worried it won't work since you have to go to the vet and get a prescription here for stronger flea medicine.

On top of that, I don't know if they sell stuff that you can spray your yard with to kill fleas here of if there is a pest company I can call. This is very frustrating since Finland doesn't have the range and amount of flea killing products that America has since fleas are not a big problem here.

Now my body has tingles and itches all over it because I'm paranoid about the fleas. I'm so worried that this is going to get out of hand because I don't have anything to combat the darn things with! My first reaction when seeing the flea was a desire to run out and buy flea bombs for the house. But are there flea bombs here for me to buy? Nooooo!

Keep your fingers guys that this won't become a huge problem ... I'm so paranoid right now.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Oh no! I hope you get everything sorted out quickly. *Sending no flea vibes*
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Part of the Pack

You have to make sure you get something for your house too. Killing them on your pets and yard will help, but if they are still in the house you will never get rid of them.

I know I have a company that comes out and sprays the yard for fleas and ticks but it took awhile to find them.

As for the house I know they sell some sort of foggers but I think you have to remove all pets and plants and things that could die, before using them. I'm not sure about what they have in Finland, but they might sell stuff online.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Poor you.
I know how you feel there are no stuff hardly for fleas or tics.
Cant you get someone from US to send you something or buy it from internet?

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I know how you feel girl! We started noticing fleas when we started pulling the carpet up. You'll need to use the flea treatments on the animals for at least three months, to make sure that you kill all the eggs etc. Especially is you can't spray your yard. You can get flea bombs from grocery shops in Aus, but you do have to remove all living things and leave..and check the space they do, you'll probably need a couple. If you can't find anything to do your house with keep all the animals up with flea treatment and wash all your bedding, anything that's out and washable basically. Then vacuum the house thoroughly, you'll need to do that regularly but the vacuum will suck up fleas and they will die.
Worse comes to worse, they'll die in your winter! It doesn't get cold enough here so we have the battle of fleas all year round!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Part of the Pack

I know how you feel. My house also got infested with fleas once. Just put some flea meds on all the animals. Vacuum the house often because this has been known to work to get rid of fleas in the carpet. Wash all the bedding in the house and spray it with something. We bought some stuff that you spray on the fabric and it kills them for 6 months. Good luck.

My babies...

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:00 PM

I hope you find what you need. But you deffinetly have to rid them form your house to get rid of the problem. Vaccuming often is a good idea and does help.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I hate fleas, we battle them every year, I get the stuff from the vet on a regular basis, and then we put stuff in the lawn that kills them, but somehow the dogs get them every year lol, but right now they are itching from dry skin and I have no idea what to do, I was told to buy dog shampoo with fat in it lol I have no idea what that means, but I guess if I go to the store they will know what it means lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Know how you feel ... I'm constantly having to keep them at bay in this neighborhood. Like others said, vacuuming as regularly and as thoroughly as you can is a must.

Until you can get the final word on the pesticides try using a flea comb on the dog. It isn't a total answer to the problem but it sure made me feel better when I was in your situation!

Make sure you keep up the vacuuming and stuff after all the fleas die because it takes something like 2-4 weeks for all their eggs to hatch as well ... sorry, and good luck. I feel your pain ...
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfomatic
Until you can get the final word on the pesticides try using a flea comb on the dog. It isn't a total answer to the problem but it sure made me feel better when I was in your situation!
There's no way a flea comb will go through Kirby's hair. I've already used the flea comb on the cats and Seamus, though.

I KNOW how to get rid of fleas in Louisiana using foggers, frequent vacuuming and flea treatments on the dogs, but here it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find stuff that kills fleas!

And here's the kicker--Sami did some research and Finland has two types of fleas--the ones that prefer dogs and cats to people (regular flea and is rare here), and the ones that prefer squirrels, birds and people rather than dogs and cats (squirrel flea and it's common usually in the spring). Well, we have the SQUIRREL flea! So no wonder I've seen more fleas on ME than on the cats and dogs!

This week I'm going to try the hardware store and see what they are selling to get rid of the squirrel fleas. See, I KNEW there was a reason why I didn't like Finnish squirrels!

Keep the no-flea vibes coming 'cause I need them!

This is worse than having lice ... sheesh!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

And for the curious, HERE is what has been plaguing my home!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
And for the curious, HERE is what has been plaguing my home!

OH my god I would DIE!
I hate creepy crawlies, and that is a serious bug. UGH....

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Miss New Booty

OMG Rowan!!!!!! I sure hope you get rid of those awful things! I would be freaking out, too, especially if they were on me! That is awful!

~ Fleas go away, vibes! ~

~* Jackie *~

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer
I hate fleas, we battle them every year, I get the stuff from the vet on a regular basis, and then we put stuff in the lawn that kills them, but somehow the dogs get them every year lol, but right now they are itching from dry skin and I have no idea what to do, I was told to buy dog shampoo with fat in it lol I have no idea what that means, but I guess if I go to the store they will know what it means lol
My female rotti gets itchy skin so I use chlorhexiderm shampoo. To start you have to bathe twice a week but it works really well. You have to get it from the vet though so it can be pricey. As far as the stuff with fat in it maybe they were talking about a shampoo that has omega 3 fatty acid in it you would probably find that a pet store. Good luck with the itchies though, hope you find what you need
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Rowan, you poor thing! You need one of these: I almost fainted when I saw the picture you posted!

I know this is going to be a very ignorant question but I truly do not know anything about fleas: How do the fleas get from the squirrels to the dogs? Carmen, how did fleas get underneath the carpeting? Is it common for dogs to get fleas?

Tags
pet store