What class should we take next? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

What class should we take next?

A little back history:
My dog is a mutt, a Poodle/American Eskimo dog cross. He’s a rescue – has been in at least one shelter and I’m at minimum his fourth owner. I’ve had him since August 2008 and am probably his longest term owner since the vet estimates him to be approximately 2 years old. When I got him, he was afraid of his own shadow but he has improved considerably with lots of socialization. He still gets nervous if a place is really crowded or the kids are especially loud but he is significantly better.

We’ve done one 6-week beginner obedience class using clicker training. (I’m comfortable with the clicker since I click trained my rabbits and also my previous rats.) We’re doing a second class that’s “manners” which basically just refines the beginner obedience stuff.

I’d like to continue taking classes because we both enjoy them and I like having a trainer to ask questions when something odd in his unknown past appears (Why is he terrified of people in cowboy hats?). I have no desire to ever do any shows with him even though there are some APDT things that mutts can compete in.

I don’t feel any particular draw to any of these classes, only a general interest in taking something and that they all seem interesting but here are the classes available for when my manners class is done:

• Rally 1
  • Agility 1
  • Introduction to tracking
  • Introduction to retrieving
  • Canine Good Citizen/Therapy dog prep class

If it were you, what would you do next?

It's a full house...
Munchkin - my 7-year-old human child who is much more work than a pet
Casper - my fluffy mutt with a shady past
Dee - my angry destructive wonderful bunny
Shadow - the bunny who lives here and is devoted to Dee but only likes sleeping humans
And the Ratkins - Blaise, Tersa, and Aura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

canine good citizen seems fun

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with the canine good citizen.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

The canine good citizen sounds like the one that would be the most useful outside of the class. Unless he has a lot of energy to burn then maybe agility would be fun. I was thinking of teaching my puppers agility just for a way for him to expend some energy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I'd have to agree the canine good citizen sounds like it would be nice.. Altho, I'm not sure what you would cover in that class thats not included in the manners class. It might get a little too repetitive for both you and your dog. I mean I'm sure it would be useful, but the agility might be more challenging for your dog. If you plan on taking taking more than one of the classes, you might want to take a break from manner type classes and take an agility course, then go back for the citizen/Therapy prep class. The agility class will give you a lot of outdoor things to play with this summer, and will help build up his confidence more.

My Furry Family

Tags
canine sports, obedience class