What to do about puppy constipation! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Indecision Queen

Question What to do about puppy constipation!

Well personally I find it quite amuzing that I am even posting a topic on constipation but Paige is having some trouble in that department and I thought I might need to ask what I can do to help it go away!
I guess her little system is having a couple gliches adjusting to the new food so if anyone could help me help her out I would appreciate it.

If anyone repsonds with a ex-lax joke I think Paigie-Poo would take offense to it, geez she would probably be mortified if she found out I was even posting about her---huh hum *whispers* problem! hehehehehe!
But all jokes aside I do need to know if there is anything I can do to help.
Thanks guys for letting me ask poopy advice!

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You can give her about a teaspoon of canned pumpkin, maybe less. that's high fiber and should help get things going.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:32 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

A little bit of mineral oil can help too.

~ Jodi ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh hey, make sure she isn't having diarrhea and straining due to that instead. Usually this is the case with puppies.

Stephanie

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah, it's best to find out the underlying cause just to be sure, like the diarrhea and straining part Jade said. Good luck with Paige.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Playful Pup

I know switching the food with do that and it may be uncomfortable and 'not happening' that much but it should pass. Stay away from any dairy too, and keep up the fluids. If it's still a problem in a few days I'd mention it to the vet.
~Melissa
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Indecision Queen

No guys I don't think it is diarrhea, i mean her poop is coming out it's just very hard and somewhat like a BIG rabbit turds! she isn't straining but just having very dryones and she is also I guess having the feeling that she is not completley done because she will stay squated for a litle bit after she is done.

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Mia
Formerly Known as Nico

try to get her to drink more.Sometimes that will help

:rainbow:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Playful Pup

Aha! That happened to my female dog before and it eventually stopped when she got used to the new food. Keep an eye though, if something is wrong I would feel horrible, but this is what happened in my case once due to changing food.
Goodluck!
Melissa :-)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGawana
A little bit of mineral oil can help too.
Yep, that's what I've always used for doggie constipation.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Increasing fiber is always a good idea - canned pumpkin (just like Jade mentioned) is great. A teaspoon or two a day not only adds fiber but nutrients.

True constipation can lead to rectal and/or anal fissures which can be painful and create a cycle of the pup actually holding it in because it's just plain painful to eliminate. I'd check with your vet to see if there is anything you can do long term to avoid any future complications.

Poor thing must be uncomfortable for her. Let us know how she is doing

[center]

[