What do the B.A.R.F. mean? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

What do the B.A.R.F. mean?

Many pet owners have at the very least heard mention of the unusual-sounding “B.A.R.F.” diet, but are unsure of what it entails and why one might even be interested in making the switch from commercial pet foods. What do the B.A.R.F. mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i have NO idea what that means....Beef...Rice....i got nuthin

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It stands for Bones and Raw Food or its sometimes referred to as Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. Its basically taking your dogs diet back to basics and a natural state. I.e feeding raw meat and eggs etc...

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 08-24-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM

I feed all three of my dogs on a BARF diet. It's the best thing ever. Their coats are nice (our lab actually sheds less, and his arthritis acts up far less), the bones clean their teeth, so they have nice pearly whites with no kibble junk. A raw diet can also act as a natrual heart worm preventative (though we still used one). And not to mention it results in SUPER happy dogs. There ARE businesses out there that pre package raw diets for dogs, where you can order online. We have a local raw food store where we purchase organ meets and tripe and things like that (dogs do require some form of vegitable matter, just not as much as in commercial dog foods.) (they can disguise these meats so feeding is tolerable for you) But we usually purchase our chicken,meaty bones,turkey necks and other meats at a cheap grocery store. So if you think about it. when have you ever seen a dog in the wild opt for grass and grains, over a nice tasty rabbit? what? never? lol, that might be because the meat is more nutritious! But be aware, most Vets do not like the raw diets. Part of this is because they get paid more if they sell more kibbel. So if you are considering switching to raw, kuddos to you, but do your research! With my little heeler mix, we were only feeding chicken an he lost alot of hair, but as soon as we figured out what was wrong and started mixing in other foods he's back to normal. Commercial dog foods are mostly fillers. If you look on most bags, the first ingrediants are, grains, wheat, corn, and other fillers that simply go straight through the dogs system. This is a cheap way for companies to make money, it's cheap to make, and you have you feed your dog more because of all the non nutritious fillers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Hi. Barf diet is "BONES AND RAW FOOD."
People are switching because they are becoming wise to
exactly how unhealthy commercial, premium grade dog/cat
foods really are. I switched my cat, she loves it. Just started my
Chihuahua on it too. God Bless.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:14 AM

Hi Belle.
Just want to comment on your little pitcher.
I love it, that is sooo cute!!!!
God Bless.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 AM

supplementaion for barf diet for dogs?

Hi. Does anyone feeding barf or raw with/bones add any vitamins to it?
I need the info. for my Chihuahua raw diet w/bones.
My cat is on a raw diet w/bones and the recipe I found for it is loaded with vitamins, etc..
You really think that is Necessary???
I Need Help, Please.
Cats raw/bone diet is
*raw chicken
*raw chicken hearts
*raw chicken liver
*vitamin B complex
*vitamin E
*dulse
*kelp
*physllium
*taruine All this Needed????
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 PM

The BARF diet means bones and raw food. I had 3 of my dogs on the BARF diet. two of them died last year. One was almost 13 yrs old the other was 10 yrs old. they were on the diet most of their lives. The 3rd dog is 9 yrs old. i recently took her off the BARF diet and bought very expensive dry food. I changed the diet after I got our newer dogs. OUr 9 yr old Cheyenne didn't like the new food and neither did the other two. So I started doctoring the dry food up so they would eat it, because I thought the dry food was better for them. Well all of my dogs got sick. So now I'm back to the my BARF diet. I use a lot of chicken too because it is cheaper. I do supplement with multiple vitamins/minerals and garlic and brewers yeast tablets. The garlic and brewers yeast tabs help against ticks and fleas. We have a tick problem here. i use another supplement that i order from a catalog because it is cheaper. I don't use it every day though. I put my dogs on the BARF diet because we had a 5 yr old AKC German Shepherd died of cancer. she had had the best care and was raised on an expensive commercial dry food.

Tags
barf diet, dog food, dry food, german shepherd, pet food, pet foods, pet owner