what do you do - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My 1 and 1/2 year old toy poodle tag threw up his dog food about 3 oclock yesterday afternoon and has thrown up yellow and white bile every 1 or less since, I have appointment at 3:30 this afternoon, but should I have taken him to emergency vet last night? Is there any home remidies for stomache in dogs? Neither him nor I have slept more than an half hour at any stretch all night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

dr. said

Probably gastritis gave him a shot of med to stop and amoxcillin will be giving him pepto this evening. and then the meds and amocillin for a few day no food or water tonight.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I hope he's feeling better now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

so far no good

So far Tag has not perked back up, He has really small flashes of gaining but not so much. He isn't supposed to eat until this evening so maybe after he eats, so far he hasn't vomited since yesterday around one. I quess I will wait until Tuesday morning to take him back. This is worse than when my kids were babies. I knew they threw up because of virus or whatever, I don't think he had anything bad to eat I don't give any kind of rawhide, but who knows what he might have found in the yard. I just can't believe this is happening.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 02:56 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm late to this thread but just wanted to say that dogs can get viruses too. I used to work in a vet clinic and it seemd that with the weather changes a virus would go around and we'd have lots of dogs in cause they were vomiting. If you know that your pooch hasn't eaten anything that could have caused it then chances are he's caught a virus...even if he isn't around other dogs. My aunty's dog got etremely sick one year from a virus and she nevers sees other dogs, just like human viruses they are highly contagious. What you're vet told you to do is what we advised clients to do as well. If the vomiting doesn't stop and your dog is getting hydrated ring the vet again...they can put your dog on fluids to keep him hydrated if it gets to that stage. In the meantime make sure you follow your vets instructions, introducing too much food and water again can cause them to start vomiting again.
The main thing is to trust your instinct. If something doesn't seem right to you then don't hesitate to call your vet or take him to emergency.
I hope he feels better soon!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Took Tag back to vet

I was almost in tears monday night so I called and took Tag back to vet they gave him another shot of Penicillian/benzathine and one of metoclopramide. She told me from the phyiscal exam they really do not think he has any blockage from eating something (we constantly take walnuts away from him) squirrels carry them into my yard. She told me to be patient that it sometimes takes time to clear this up. And if he doesn't get better in a couple days we will be doing some blood work. So far not any better, it was easier to get the amoxicillin down and the matoclopramide pill this morninig so I will try to be patient, it is just so hard to see him just lay there. I have to carry him outside and he jumped back out of my bed (he has always slept there) and slept in his bed on the couch all night. I know I am going on but I really don't think anyone here realizes how upsetting this is to me.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

We all do realize how upsetting this is. I can't imagine going through it. But, in the meantime you are doing what the vet has told you to do. We'll be thinking of you both.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Playful Pup

I have an idea of how upsetting it is cos i have been in the same situation with my old dog.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:23 AM

I hope he feels fine soon ....I don't know how I would handle my guy getting sick. Since all the kids have grown and left the nest he is my baby.

Debbie & Boo
azpetsupplies.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I know

Yes since my two girls are gone Tag is my baby and shadow... I can't see a whole lot of improvement but my neice stopped by today and when she came in Tag came off the couch and barked at her, my neice thought I had flipped my lid when a said Oh Tag what a good boy and was excited.... she didn't know he has been sick and not moving around.... maybe he will keep improving.... but back on couch now.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

update

Well today is day 5 (he started being sick suddenly Saturday late afternoon) Tag has eaten a little boiled chicken breast, and 1 piece of our goldens large breed dog food. WooHoo!!! He has gotten on back of couch to look out window for a few minutes and barked at a woman walking with her baby. Yeah!!! He had a little shaking time this morning but that was it. So maybe we have finally turned the corner. Whoopie!!! Still not himself but making more advances. Oh yes when I said no one here understands, I meant my husband, and daughter. You have all been more than supportive. It really helped to be able to express myself here because they didn't want to hear it. They both love Tag but are just not very emotional people so when I get emotional they back off. Any way thanks so much, I was so afraid that it was going to be something long term like liver problem or etc.... Still would love to know how he got this.

Thanks again...

Tags
dog food, emergency vet, vet clinic