What do you feed your dogs? - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: What do you feed your dog?
Low quality kibble (ol roy, kibbles and bits, grocery store brand etc.) 2 4.44%
Medium quality kibble (Science diet, Eukenuba,Royal Canin etc.) 9 20.00%
High quality kibble (Natures Logic, natural balance, Nutro etc.) 25 55.56%
Mix of kibble and raw 4 8.89%
Raw diet (raw meat, bones, veggies etc) 4 8.89%
Table scraps. 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
During the big recall mess, I had one dog on Pro Plan and another on Iams. I very carefully followed things. Nearly all the canned food was recalled no matter what the brand. The only kibbles that were recalled were smaller, more expensive brands. The majors pull a product if they aren't sure it is safe. Many smaller companies wait until the FDA orders it. When it comes to safety, you can't beat a kibble from a major company.
I've fed kibble to some of the foster dogs (although not recently since my current guy has severe allergies) and none of our brands were recalled so I'm not sure that's true. I don't believe Orijen or EVO were recalled. The latter is now owned by Procter and Gamble so it could happen in the future but I don't think the Innova products were ever recalled before that. Other commercial diets (most provided by the rescue, a few I picked up myself) I've fed also weren't recalled...Stella and Chewy's, Ziwipeak, and Vital Essentials.

I agree with you that the company really matters, though. For example, I like to recommend Taste of the Wild as a cheap but high-quality food. But I also can't deny the fact that Diamond has had several recalls. I don't think they involved TOTW but I still don't trust Diamond as a company. I'll feed TOTW when the rescue provides it (if I'm feeding kibble at the time...I'm not sure I will again) but wouldn't buy it myself.

It's not so much the size of the company but the individual company. Look at the pet food recalls of 2007 . Foods by Nestle (who owns Purina) were involved...same with many other "big names".

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Playful Pup

I feed blue buffalo all the way,, they do have the wilderness line which is as close to a raw diet as you can get in a bag,, is grain free and about 95 percent meat.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
don't believe Orijen or EVO were recalled. The latter is now owned by Procter and Gamble so it could happen in the future but I don't think the Innova products were ever recalled before that. .
As I mentioned, some of the smaller brands escaped the recall by not offering canned foods. Also as I explained the larger companies are quick to pull products if there is any doubt.

Another difference is how much easier it is to get away with stuff in small companies. A great example of that is Natura lied about using human grade ingredients in EVO and Innova for years. It quickly came out after P&G bought them. I have been an industrial manager. You can't do anything in a large company without many people knowing about. People protected by the whistle blower laws and don't have to worry about losing their job if the company fails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
As I mentioned, some of the smaller brands escaped the recall by not offering canned foods. Also as I explained the larger companies are quick to pull products if there is any doubt.

Another difference is how much easier it is to get away with stuff in small companies. A great example of that is Natura lied about using human grade ingredients in EVO and Innova for years. It quickly came out after P&G bought them. I have been an industrial manager. You can't do anything in a large company without many people knowing about. People protected by the whistle blower laws and don't have to worry about losing their job if the company fails.
Some of those brands do have canned foods, actually. They escaped the recall because there was nothing to recall .

Natura didn't "lie". The issue was that legally, you cannot market a pet food as having "human grade" ingredients even if it does. There are other foods on the market that use "human grade", USDA meats but they now avoid using the term "human grade" for that reason. The problem was with the words chosen for their marketing campaign, it wasn't a problem with the meat. Although, of course, no kibble is going to have sirloin steaks or anything .

It comes down to the individual company, not the size of the company. Diamond is huge, I don't trust them. Mars is huge, I don't trust them either. Champion is medium-sized, I trust them more. Stella and Chewy's is tiny, I trust them a lot and occasionally feed their food to foster dogs. They test every single batch of food produced and you can actually look up the results from your individual bag .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Newborn Pup

Halo kibble and Kirkland wet food.
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
A A great example of that is Natura lied about using human grade ingredients in EVO and Innova for years. It quickly came out after P&G bought them.
Which is suprising, given P&G's track record on lying to consumers about the contents of their pet food brands.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Newborn Pup

1/4 cup dry kibble, plus 1/4 can pate-type dog food, usually Authority, twice a day. 2 Small greenies or a greenie & a piece of dog chicken jerky for an evening snack. A dog vitamin, 1/2 pill twice a day.

The dog is half American Foxhound, half Jack Russell. He doesn't need much. If I fed him more, he'd get fat.

"That house is doubly blest / Which to our feline friends gives rest." (The Black Cat, 1941 movie)
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Newborn Pup

I give my dogs meat contained food and chicken, beef, muscles, organs, bones, turkey, lamb, rabbit.
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MAKES A HIGH QUALITY AND LOW QUALITY KIBBLE I STRONGLY ENCOURANGE EVERYONE TO TAKE A LOOK AT
the Dog Food Project
How do you define high quality? I think a high quality dog food has a comfortable margin of the well known nutrients without a harmful excess of anything. I have yet to see anything proving the ingredients selected for their appeal to people provide superior nutrition. I have yet to see any cites to scientific studies in the JAVMA or the Journal of Nutrition backing their criterion.

Tags
canned food, chicken soup, dog food, dried corn, dry food, older dog, pet store, pet stores, puppy food, royal canin, table scraps