What do you feed your dogs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

What do you feed your dogs?

I know we won't use typical commercial food (blech) but I don't think we can do the BARF diet with kids. It just doesn't seem safe (though I'm still researching) so what do you feed your large breed dogs?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't have large breed dogs (largest is a Cocker Spaniel, rofl), but I feed Innova . I tried Innova EVO which is a great food (pretty much as close as you can get to a raw diet without feeding, well, a raw diet) but it made my mom's dog sick so we switched back.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Our lab puppy and 5 year old mutt are on beniful puppy food (the 5 year old lost a lot of weight when he was having his hip issues so he needs the extra fat and energy of puppy food)

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Our dogs, a large breed mix, and a small jack russell , Have been on chicken soup adult for quite awhile. But we might be switching them to Diamond Naturals because its now available locally so we wont have to worry about ordering it.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Kitsune isn't a large breed, but I feed him Wellness Just for Puppy. They have a large breed puppy formula as well I think. I tried a couple other brands with Kit but he seemed to do best on the Wellness.

I looked at this site to help decide what foods to try:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I really think it's just trial and error to find the food that works best for each individual dog.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

I was feeding my TURKISH KANGAL (anatolian shepherd) dogs with rice and chicken meat. Also they were eating everything. But I never gave them sugar. My male KANGAL was 90cm (35 inches) high at shoulder. There was always a bucket of clean water near them. Female was 81 cm high. I love TURKISH KANGAL very much. Also Caucasian ovcharka and Alabai too.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dogs Puppers and Lasy eat Avoderm active care chicken and brown rice for seniors because it contains high levels of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate to relieve discomfort and pain in the joints.

The Puppies are currently on Chicken soup for the pet lovers soul Adult dog food, but we are considering putting them back on avoderm because Avoerm with the avocados really helped their coats alot...

Its so hard finding foods that are good for them and that they will eat, the golden girls are so picky...they get Merrick canned food every now and again...they love that canned food and its high quality, it costs a little more, but when you see the ingredients you will see why, Puppers loves Grammy;s Pot Pie flovore the most lol, the Golden Girls love the cowboy cookout the most, and little Ladys favorite is smothered comfort lol...they all will eat any of them, but they have let us know their favorites lol, they are all silly like that lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

Innova and Wellness are my two favorite for large breed dogs, because they have both a large breed puppy and a large breed Adult formula. California Natural also is a excellent food, Solid Gold has Large Breed Puppy and Adult formulas as well.

My oldest Rott (7yr.) is on Innova EVO reduced fat. My German Shepherd (3yr.) who has severe food allergies is on California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato Formula, and my little Rott (8 months) is on Wellness Large Breed Puppy.

I believe Orijen and Timberwolf have Large Breed formulas as well.

Here are two amazingly wonderful websites for dog care and nutrition

www.dogfoodproject.com
www.ourdogsonline.com
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Part of the Pack

We feed our dogs (Border Collie/Blue Healer mix and a Yellow Lab) Nature's Recipe. The lab was about 15 pounds overweight from the Purina his previous owners had him on. He's since lost the weight and his coat and skin are gorgeous and healthy.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

We feed Lupo, our german shepard 'Jameswellbeloved' he loves the food, and it is has absolutly no feathers or other animal insides added, which a lot of the other foods have which is so unhealthy for them. It costs a lot at £7, but we don't mind paying to feed Lupo something decent.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 04:03 AM
Newborn Pup

Our vet highly disapproves of Purina. I fed both my huskies pedigree when they were still pups then i switched to blue buffalo and raw food. My friend also feeds his rottweilers blue buffalo. so far no complaints.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Playful Pup

I stick with 'Before grain', and 'Orijen'.

Both are free of grains and fillers, and no by products.
I think the two brands are the kibble equivelant to feeding raw with suppliments (to an extent lol)

- Mel
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

We do Canidae. I wanted to try Taste of the Wild but it's a liiiittle out of the price range.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Creole (pointer mix, 55 lbs) gets Wellness. He had unbearable gas with any other brand I've tried.

Gumbo is on Natural Balance's Duck & Potato right now. It isn't my favorite, but it's what he can eat due to his allergies and is $20 cheaper than the prescription diet, so it works.

If I had to choose between foods it would be between Wellness, Innova, California Natural, Solid Gold, Chicken Soup, and Canidae. I wouldn't hesitate to give any of my pups any of those foods. It's been quite a while since I researched foods, so there are probably some other good kibble diets on the market now too.

The dogs also get raw veggies when we have them, and Creole will occasionally get some raw steak. Feeding raw scares me not because of the fact that it's raw, but because of the fact that it comes from a plant and is processed on equipment while raw, opening it up for contamination. Cooking kills this, of course. If we had chickens out back or something I wouldn't hesitate to feed Creole raw chicken, but the city frowns on that so we don't.

Stephanie

Last edited by Jade; 05-22-2009 at 10:06 AM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

A prey model raw diet which consist of meat and bones.

Anatolian hardly = Kangal
ASD does have Kangal blood, among other breeds. Though it is besides the point, either is large.

Check Them Out

Tags
barf, dog food, large breed