What do you think of.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

What do you think of....

Royal Canin? Is it good? bad? regular?
I'm feeding the pups Pro-Plan cause it's the best I can get... even though I know it's not exactly the best... not cheap either... but I just saw today that my local pet store started carrying royal canin. Do you think it's better than Pro-Plan? Should I change? What do you people think? (Other options I have besides those 2 are Alpo, Ol' Roy, Pedigree, Dog Chow, One, Iams, Bil Jac and Science Diet.... don't remember seeing any other food... that's why Pro-Plan was the best IMO)

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I'll have to look it up, but i'm pretty sure Royal Canin is better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would prefer Royal Canin over Pro-Plan, yes.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Naked Dog Mom

I'd chose Royal Canin over Pro Plan. Royal Canin does alot of research (not animal research in a bad way, but research that helps them figure out what each dog needs/likes/etc, which I think probably makes for better dog food than a company that doesn't do all of that extra stuff.) I forget what the actual percentage is (it's been awhile since I met with the RC rep, but it's more than any other dog food company. I like the idea of the breed specific dog foods. The guy said that they don't have as many in the US (though they do have some), because they've found that it's hard to convince the American population that some breeds have specific nutritional needs and get them to buy breed specific foods. Especially when we have foods that are as inexpensive as Ol' Roy. I wish RC would make more breed specific formulas available to the US (I'd definitely be interested in trying out a corgi formula), but I do understand.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I feed Royal Canin to Milko. He does really well on it and imo it's the best option we have in aus (which might not be saying a lot but we just don't get the variety the us does). His coat is super shiny, and when I spoke to one of the reps, she had tasted every single variety of the vat and dog...it's safe for human comsumption and apprently if you work for Royal Canin you know what it tastes like. That won me over, cause none of the other reps have ever tasted the dog and cat food they sell simply telling me 'it's not for humans.' I figured that if we could eat it and not get sick from the ingredients then Milko should be fine on it too!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
I feed Royal Canin to Milko. He does really well on it and imo it's the best option we have in aus (which might not be saying a lot but we just don't get the variety the us does). His coat is super shiny, and when I spoke to one of the reps, she had tasted every single variety of the vat and dog...it's safe for human comsumption and apprently if you work for Royal Canin you know what it tastes like. That won me over, cause none of the other reps have ever tasted the dog and cat food they sell simply telling me 'it's not for humans.' I figured that if we could eat it and not get sick from the ingredients then Milko should be fine on it too!
Hmmmm... that's sound pretty interesting. Looks like I'll be buying a small bag when I start running out of the one I have. I haveto see how Odie reacts to it (I know, for instance, that lamb and rice gives him the runs... so I have to see that he doesn't has any reactions from it) and if he does well, then, they'll go on RC. I'm pretty sure that the girls will do well on it... lol.. they eat so much stuff on the backyard (we have several fruit trees and they enjoy eating those fruits, plus they like to hunt down iguanas every now and then... they like to supplement their food.. haha). Everything in the backyard if safe for them to eat, BTW...

Dimaris

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Id have to say Id go with the Royal Canin too. I have heard good things about them. Also..I hope Odie and the girls do good with it!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

When I first moved to Finland, Sami fed his dog Science Diet. Well, Kirby looked just okay with it.

I had Sami switch Kirby over to Royal Canin and he looks AWESOME now. His coat is just amazing--even his breeder noticed a HUGE improvement and said he didn't even look like the same dog. Also, Royal Canin has helped Kirby keep weight on in a way no other dog foods did, which is a relief for me.

I like Royal Canin a lot. I used to feed my cats Royal Canin as well, but because of Galina's allergies, she didn't do so great on it. I switched her over to James Wellbeloved and since Gerona got jealous that Galina was eating a different food, I stopped feeding Royal Canin to both of them and now only feed them James Wellbeloved. But, both of my dogs are on Royal Canin and I like it.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Love it, love it and love it! And I'm not just saying that cause I work for a pet store and that's what I always recommend.

I have to have Harley on another food because of allergies, but if she wasn't on this food I'd definitely switch her back to the Royal Canin line. I have my cats on it and they love it! Then again, they're also little piggies! They literally clean their bowl dry that's how much they like it!

Karen

[

Tags
cat food, dog food, local pet store, pet store, royal canin