what dog should i get? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question what dog should i get?

I don't know what dog to pick so i am asking all you pawtalk lovers

A. Yorkie
B. min pincher
c. jackrusll
d. dacsin

------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rip Cupcake Rip Speckles Rip Whiskers the mice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bonnie,Smokey,Nacho,Tinkerbell,Troublecookie,
Sugarcookie.Girl rats

Blacky,Lennywinks,Romeo,Buddy. Guy rats

Sugar Girl Boxer

Last edited by pandamiranda7; 03-02-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I would seriously do you research. I'm sure each of those dogs have different needs (even though they're all small breeds) and would need slightly different care.
I know Jack Russells can be high strung and they're hyper all the time.
Yorkies will need to be groomed or brushed daily...

That's about all I know about those breeds.

*Missy*
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Part of the Pack

Since you don't know how to spell 2 of the 4 breeds listed, I would consider doing MUCH, MUCH more research.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

spelling abilities aren't always the most adequate form of judging knowledge

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Curmudgeon

You know, the right dog for you might just be waiting at the local animal shelter....

You can sometimes find purebreds there, but you will always find a dog that will love you for the rest of it's life. I've always gotten my dogs (usually mixed breeds) from shelters, and they have been the best dogs you could ask for.JMO

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Playful Pup

Does this really belong in mouse and rat discussion?
I know the dogs are similar to rats but you know

Proud owner of Rincewind and Ringo!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

its in the dog section for me lol...

I was at our local SPCA this weekend and they had so many daschund puppies and adults, it was crazy, they had 2 tiny yorkie mixes...lots of terriers and like 50 chihuahuas...it was so sad, so definatly give your local shelter a try when you decide which one you want and also check out local rescue groups, they are really good at helping you find the right temperment for your family.

I had a yorkie, her name was Penny, I loved her dearly...she had high needs though, there was the grooming of course, but they also tend to have health issues with their breathing and such, mine had a collapsed trechea, which is very very common in the breed, we also had to deal with hypoglycemia (also common in the toy and smaller breeds) Just make sure you read up on all the breeds and have a very good vet account established before getting one, we did...before we got Penny we made sure we had plenty in the vet account at the bank (we have a savings account just for vet emergencies)

Good luck on whatever you choose

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
its in the dog section for me lol...
I moved it. I tried to post right after but my browser froze

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you don't know a huge amount about these breeds, try finding breed specific rescues or just go down to a local shelter like others have suggested. Dachshunds aren't hard to find in rescues. Many states have a breed specific dachshund rescue (I know oregon does!).

As far as dachshunds go, I have owned 3 and know a decent amount about them. If you have any dachshund specific questions let me know.

Here is a link to the Dachshund Club of America: http://www.dachshund-dca.org/

You can read the breed standard there and that should give you some ideas of what to expect. Here is a part you should pay particular attention to: "The Dachshund is clever, lively and courageous to the point of rashness..." This means they can be stubborn sometimes. If you've never owned a dog before, or think it will be hard to discipline a dog, then you should rethink the dachshund as a choice.

Here is a short list of some common dachshund traits:

• -Playful
  • -Curious (they will get in to everything)
  • -Doesn't need a huge amount of exercise, tires quickly
  • -Stubborn
  • -Many can have a strong prey drive. They were bred to hunt badgers and rabbits (as well as other little animals), so if you have any other pets take this in to consideration. None of my dogs have ever hurt another animal, but I've heard of some dachshunds that go after raccoons and stuff.
  • -Barking - dachshunds will bark, and bark a lot. There are some quieter ones, but if barking really bothers you this isn't the breed for you. Sometimes you can train them to not bark as much, but it only works on some dogs.
  • Tunneling - these dogs love to tunnel under blankets, try to get in the back of the couch, hide in laundry, and burrow anywhere else they can find. If left for a long time outside, they can dig under a fence. The tunneling makes them want to sleep on your lap under a blanket, or sleep with you in your bed.
  • Affectionate - most of the dachshunds I know and all 3 I have owned are very affectionate. They bond closely with their owner. Socialization with other people and dogs is very important.
At pretty much any rescue organization, there are people who can tell you the specifics about their dogs and what to expect. I know there are plenty of dogs back east because a local rescue in Oregon is working on having dachshunds from the eastern US sent to Oregon to adopt out.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 AM
RAT ADDICT

I really suggest you do alot more reaserch on these breeds and look at pros and cons of each!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Newborn Pup

None, get whatever is at the local shelter. Please adopt rather than spending 100's to 1000's on a dog. Plus, maybe that have what you want at the shelter!

Good Luck!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Betta Bomb

I would definetly put more time and research into the breeds but im kinda breed-predujiced (wow,spelling!) and opt for mixes in these kinds of situations. Please dont' support the pet trade for a silly desire to have a 'new' dog.Shelters are the way to go,and usually you'll find purebreds there.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

Or a breed specific rescue.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think that you musn't only look for 4 breeds. Look for more please. For example Boxer, French mastiff, Dogo Argentino, Rough Collie, Turkish Kangal or a Doberman or much more beautiful breeds. Are you sure you want small breeds? It's more difficult to find them their male or female in the future. Think twice. Also a dog which can protect your house when you're sleeping is better I think. But a Jack Russell is of course a pretty dog. Your choices will change by time of course.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Hello Earthling

I believe the poster already got a puppy awhile back.

What do you mean by finding their male or female in the future????

And little dogs are pretty tough... they'll do a good job protecting a house. Vicious little dogs.

Tags
ratties