What kind of collar for a puppy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

What kind of collar for a puppy?

Dave and I will be bringing our puppy home around the middle of September so I am going to start shopping for him.

What kind of collar should we get? I was thinking a nylon collar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Odie's first collar was a cheap nylon black (cat) collar. He scratched it so much that all the nylon fibers where sticking out... lol. I have saved it and have it on my fave beanie baby... lol.

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

When i first got lady i get her all princessy things, she had everything pink (i was about 10) we got her a nylon one with a buckle. hot pink with little bones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

yep a nylon or cotton collar would be good. It's also a good idea to get a collar with a plastic clasp, rather than a buckle. Puppies are into everything and can sometimes catch themselves and be choking. A quick release of the clasp is much easier than trying to undo those buckles. I had never thought of it until my old co-worker nearly lost one of her puppies cause he caught himself on the fence. She said he would have choked to death if she had to try and fiddle with the collar, but instead she had it off him real quick. After that story I changed Biscuit's collar from a leather buckle up kind to the cotton, clasp kind, and I thought I'd never need it...but just the other day she choked herself and it was nice to have that collar off her in 2 seconds, rather than having to fiddle around with it for a minute or so (the leather ones are especially hard to get undone for some reason).
And a puppy in mid september!!! how exciting!! are you getting a boy or a girl?? any names picked yet? And is this puppy from the same breeder you always wanted your puppy from?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 08:31 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Nylon collars are nice. The only problem I've ever had with the ones that clasp is that the clasp can break easily. My little guys have never broken a clasp but my big Manto has and so did Bach. But Manto's Invisble Fence collar is a clasp and so far so good! I love the ease of taking it on and off.

Have fun puppy shopping!

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I agree, Nylon or cotton collar.

Yayyy a new puppy! Have a great time shopping.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I agree with Jodi that the clasps can sometimes break easily!

With Seamus' first nylon collar, the clasp was ALWAYS coming undone at the slightest bit of pressure! So, give them a good, hard tugging at the store to try and make sure the clasp holds firm.

The greatest things about the nylon collars (IMO) is that they are cheap, so even if they get a little ragged around the edges from the dog scratching at them or they get snagged in the bushes, it's not such a big loss and they are easily replaceable.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I used a harness for Dante. Puppies usually pull and I did not want his little neck (or more his trachea( I can not spell today)) to get crushed. He also wore a leather collar with his ID tags. Dante was a puppy that liked to live, get dirty and go into mud & water. Nylon absorbed too much for my liking. Leather gets a quick wipe down and it's set. It'd be nice if they made a snap leather collar. However Dante was always good about letting me put stuff on him, so the 'wiggling puppy' syndrom was never a problem for me.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Thank you for all your feedback.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 02:09 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

A harness is a good option, too, specially for small puppies! Thanks for mentioning that, Lizz!

Though, I know with Kirby, there is NO WAY we can use just a harness with him! When you put a harness on him, he goes into "sled dog" mode and feels he has to pull you all over the neighbourhood! So, we use a harness on him (it has a handle at the top of it) to hold him in place if he starts pulling too much. But, his leash it attached to his collar.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i agree with all the collar stuff - but more importantly, YOU ARE GETTING A PUPPY!! i guess i missed this. where are you getting him/her? sex? names?? tell us more!