What kind of shampoo do you use? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

What kind of shampoo do you use?

The shelter gave Pitch a bath before we brought him home last weekend but he still smells a little. They didn't bathe him as thoroughly as I would have so I want to give him another bath this weekend.

His skin is sensitive so I am thinking of getting an Oatmeal based shampoo. Would something like Aveeno be okay or should I buy specific dog shampoo? What kind of shampoo do you use for your dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

We use a highly scented one as my dogs realy stink and they stink an hour after the bath like cheese so I got that one and they stayed fresh for at least 2 days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I use an oatmeal based dog shampoo on mine.

They also have that "dry" bath shampoo you can use too. Its a powder, and you rub it on and brush it out. Never tried it, but some people swear by it.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i would get an oatmeal based dog shampoo. even aveeno (which i swear by, for me) can contain chemicals too strong for a dog. but they have lots of oatmeal based and sensitive skin dog shampoos out there.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:37 PM

I use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo in Lavender and Chamomile scent. My dogs don't get irritated and the nice clean smell lasts days longer than any other dog shampoo that I've tried and since I used to work at a pets store I have tried every single one of them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Part of the Pack

I use a dandruff shampoo. I have to bathe Loki a bit more frequently because of allergies (I'm allergic to everything outside) and of course he runs through it all and within a few weeks at most whenever I pet him I start getting hives. But he has pretty dry skin so the vet recommended trying a dandruff shampoo. He still has a little but it seems to help a lot. Though now he runs around for a day or two afterwards smelling like medicine. hehehe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I asked this exact question several months ago. Several people recommended the Johnson's baby with lavender and that's what I've switched to. It gets a thumbs up in my book.

Stephanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I also use the Lavendar baby shampoo...when we bathe them with it they smell good for at least a week, sometimes longer. Plus it is gentle too, Harlie has skin problems and it has never caused a problem for her.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Mel, so it doesn't irritate her skin or dry it out? I will go ahead and try it out. I just want to make sure it isn't too harsh for Pitch's skin.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Nope...Har's skin always flakes but it always has...it has gotten a lot better as she has gotten older...We used to be able to literally peel her skin it was so disgusting...now she occasionally just gets a flakey day. I have been using the baby shampoo on her ever since I stopped giving her the medicated baths...and she hasnt had a problem with it at all. Plus she smells great. Thats always a plus. You could always try it out on Pitch, a bottle of it is just a few bucks. I really dont think it could hurt him though.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Thanks Mel! I will buy some tonight and let you know how I and Pitch like it!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

I gave Pitch a bath on Friday and used the Johnson and Johnson lavendar and chamomile shampoo. It is wonderful! It left Pitch's fur shiny and soft and he still smells wonderful.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Hmm, I usually use Johnson's baby shampoo on Mirra and Scarlette but I'll have to try the lavender now.

Rhonda

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Part of the Pack

I use GlenHaven H/S from the clinic inside petsmart for my boyfriends dog because it's soap free so it wont strip off the advantix and it wont dry out the skin so you can bathe the dog once a week (said so by a vet so I know it wont do any harm). It's also hypo-allergenic.

My babies...