What now? please read - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

What now? please read

Ok I'm seriously at my wits end here. I just don't know what on earth is wrong with Biscuit. She's off to the vets on Tuesday for sure.
I mentioned she had what looked like a swollen lip. Well it's now spreading (even though the original swollen part has gone down a bit due to bathing it in salt water). Her lips are black but on this one side it looks like the black part is being overtaken by pink gum. It's very strange. doesn't seem to be bothering her, but very strange. Last night I fed Cindy (who unfortunately gets tinned food) and put the tin in the bin. I fed Biscuit (who still hasn't eaten her dinner but she does do that sometimes when she wants something else so I'm not concerned there really, not at this stage anyway) and went to have a shower to get ready for dinner. When I got out of the shower Biscuit had lifted the lid on the bin and was licking the inside of the can of food from Cindy. I told her no and thought nothing more of it then. Now I'm wondering if she's been doing that more regularly (I have gone out to the kitchen and the lid on the bin has been lifted but I've just closed again not really thinking) and she's actually cutting her lip on the tins? From now on the tins are going straight out to the outside garbage just incase.

Anyway we went out for dinner last night and when we come home (10pm) I snuck up to the door (glass) of the animal room when we were still outside cause I love to see what they get up to in their crates when we're not home. We'll cindy was fast asleep and Biscuit was gone! I told Alex she wasn't in her crate and Alex started checking the outside of the house to see if we had been robbed again. I really just wanted to get inside. Anyway I heard Biscuit give a wimper so we ran inside and no-one had broken in thankfully. However, Biscuit had very violently broken out of her crate. The whole front of the crate (wire) was bent and it was about 10 inches out from the wall, meaning she had moved it while getting out.
It just makes no sense cause Biscuit absolutely loves her crate, she chooses to sleep in it all the time. I checked the house and she hadn't gone to the toilet anywhere so it wasn't like she was busting to go to the toilet and didn't want to go in her crate. She got a new blanket last Sunday so we thought maybe that was irritating her. We swapped Cindy's and Biscuit's blankets over last night and Biscuit went in to the crate relunctently (Biscuit used to try and steal cindy's blanket so we know she loves that one) but she was looking pretty fightened by the rabbits jumping around waiting for me to feed them. I didn't pay attention to her, cause I figured I'd treat it like she was frightened of a storm, but she just isn't a dog that scares easily and she seems scared and a bit depressed and I really don't know what is going on.

I'm starting to get pretty worried about her now, any ideas as to what may be causing any of this?
(by the way, I looked up tetanus this morning after thinking about the tins but her symptoms don't much and it's very rare for a dog to get tetanus so I can pretty well rule that out at least)

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It may be an abscess forming in the lip or in the tooth adjacent to that side. If she's been getting into cans and cut it, that would certainly seem plausible. Try some more salts and see if that doesn't help. You may want to do a warm compress too - shouldn't hurt at least.

Afraid I'm not much help on the crate thing though.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Steph! I've checked all in her mouth and it looks like just her lip is swollen, nothing inside seems to have changed at all. One good thing about her breed is that with their 'frog' like mouths you can get a real good look real easily!
I'm just hoping that there isn't something medical going on elsewhere that is making her do crazy things, like breaking out of the crate. Who knows, we could have a big earthquake today or something. Last big earthquake here people's dogs were absolutely crazy for days before...it's a bit scary but at least if it was her sensing something like that I'd know why she did it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no, Carm! Poor Biscuit! That does sound way too weird! I was wondering if something was up with your weather with that crate behavior?? So odd! They say animals can sense all those things, your right! Oh my goodness, I sure hope an earthquake isn't coming!
I agree, it sounds like maybe she could've gotten into the cans a few times and has been cutting her lip. Poor girl! She's been having a time of it lately it seems! I hope everything checks out fine at the vets, hon!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanks Jackie! I'd take her to the vet tomorrow (monday) but it's a public holiday and I figure one more day will let me give the vet a better idea of how her behaviour is...give me more time to monitor it you know to hopefully help him figure out what might be going on. Apart from her weird behaviour and her mouth everything else is fine. Her eyes are bright, colours good, she's going to to the toilet normally and her stools are normal, her urine a good colour, no lumps, rashes etc. She's not an emergency case as yet so I'm not going to ring up and have her checked out and pay triple the amount for a non emergency! If something changes health wise I'll be on the phone in a second.

The weather thing has got me thinking. I can remember people on the news with our last earthquake (well last one that caused damage, I was only 5) saying that their dogs were breaking through fences and doors etc. and barking like crazy at what seemed to be nothing and then after the earthquake they calmed down again. Time will tell I guess.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 08:24 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

With my older dog Bean... she loved her crate like you said Biscuit does. But then when we weren't home, it seemed that she somehow became depressed or something and we couldn't crate her anymore... I think it was seperation anxiety. One time, she pushed her face through the top of her wire crate, but only her snout would go, and when she went to pull back, she jammed one of her canine teeth straight through her upper lip... Another time she had tried shoving her snout through again, but thankfully that time she didn't puncture herself.

Just for a trial to see if maybe she just wants more room, leave for maybe a half hour and leave her out of her crate if you wish. See if she can handle herself. Maybe she is jealous of Cindy in the home and no longer being the only dog around?? Allowing her a privledge of some sort might help...

But I'm no expert. Hope it all settles down soon!

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I dont really have any advice but I really hope that whatever is wrong you guys can figure out, or else that she just goes back to being normal! NO earthquakes!! Thats the last thing you guys need right now!! But anyhow...I hope that whatever is wrong gets figured out, and that everything gets back to normal for you, and for little Biscuit!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok Mal you might be on to something there. Unfortunately letting her out when we aren't home isn't an option. She does do things she's not meant to do. I leave her out in sumemr if I'm gone during the day so she can have access to water but it's really not a habit I want her to get into, or one that Alex would even allow.
But Cindy had been sleeping in Biscuit's crate some nights and when Biscuit went to go to the bed she went to the empty one. Then after sunday's incident with Cindy's diarrhoea I said that they were to sleep in their own crates from then on. That night Biscuit had gone to bed early and was in Cindy's crate and we made her get out and sleep on her new blanket. During the day I don't care where they sleep (in what crate) when we're home but of a night time they're in their own. She could be a bit jealous over that so I'll work on making Biscuit's crate her own again. She just didn't seem bothered by it you know but maybe she thinks Cindy took her blanket away or something? Next time I go out I'll stuff a kong for her so she's got something to make her feel special.
We're getting ready now to take the dogs for a nice long drive so that will make her feel special I'm sure! She loves a drive and doesn't get them often these days.

As for the mouth thing, I've been bathing it and scabs are coming off, even though you can't really see scabs on there. I'd say we;ll get ab's for an infection on Tuesday.
She has eaten today (last night's dinner that she refused in fact) so at least that's one win! haha

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, I hope everything is okay with Biscuit. She has been keeping you very busy lately hasn't she? At least you will have an answer to her swollen lip in a couple of days. As for her busting out of her crate, will there be another opportunity for her to be in the crate before you go on vacation?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Carmen, I'm sorry to hear about Biscuit... she must be making you worry quite a bit...

Knowing absolutely nothing about dogs, really, the only thing I can think of about the lip thing (other than her cutting it on the tin cans, like you think), is a tumour. My grandparents' black lab, Bear, got a lip tumour in his old age that looked sort of like you were describing. I sincerely hope it's not that, but I'm sure a vet visit will help shed some light on the situation...

I think Mallory may be on to something when she suggested jealousy of Cindy. I know you were saying that the two of them should get along well as Cindy has come to stay for short periods of time before, and Biscuit has stayed with her as well, however, Biscuit is probably clueing into the fact that Cindy isn't going home after the weekend is over.

I hope she settles down soon, or adjusts better to Cindy's permanent presence. for Biscuit.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

my little biscuit...what are you doing to your mommy?!

i'm sure the vet will be more help for her lip. but i'd say the same thing that the others have about her behavior. it really may because she's getting a little jealous about cindy. maybe you could try and take biscuit on a walk by herself or do some biscuit-only play time each day. ???

i hope everything calms down!

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok well I have some news that really explains a heck of a lot!!!! Before I get into that though Jane, I only take Biscuit on a walk, Cindy is too old and can't make it so she simply doesn't come.
Denise Biscuit is crated even if I go to the grocery shop so she's usually crated through the day at some point, every day!

Anyhow, my mum just rang me and I was telling her that Biscuit had escaped out of the crate last night. She still seems wary of it and a bit scared which didn't fit the jealousy thing really but I thought maybe I was reading her wrong.
Well turns out last night that there was a bunch of morons driving around throwing bombs, in the neighbourhood next to us (which is like two streets away). They also did it in another suburb two suburbs away from my mum later that night and my mum said they were really loud and it sounded like people were throwing bombs at their building. That's how loud it was for them which considering we are a couple of streets away from the earlier attacks (when we were gone) I can only imagine what Biscuit was thinking! It will also explain why she had her tail tucked between her legs and was wimpering when we got home. Poor thing would have been petrified and with no one home she must have wanted out. Now why didn't Cindy react? Cause she's as a deaf as a doorknob. She only pays attention to things from movement, so she was probably wondering what Biscuit's problem was and would explain why she was fast asleep and very relaxed when we got home.

I'm so glad I got an answer for that one, it's been on the news and everything but we haven't turned on the tv or radio all day.

The lip case will hopefully be resolved on Tuesday! haha After what Mal said I thought that was really the most logical answer, but with her being scared when the rabbits were jumping around (the noise) and then finding out what happened last night I'm not surprised at all. I would have been terrified if I was home.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:23 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Now why didn't Cindy react? Cause she's as a deaf as a doorknob.
i'm sorry!! that just sounds funny.

i'm so glad that you have an explanation. but poor biscuit! i would be freaked out too! poor baby. give her a big jane kissy for me!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 06:16 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Poor little Biscuit.
No wonder she wanted out of the crate.
Glad you figured out what was going on

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 08:58 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

That makes a lot of sense.. i know when fireworks go off, we have to bring tatyana in (if shes out) cause she will hop right over the fence cause shes so scared

Tags
black lab, older dog, vet visit