What Are The Odds? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What Are The Odds?

I am currently fostering a chi for a local rescue. She came into rescue two weeks ago. She was a stray, ended up in a pound and on death row. She has some issues right now and is not ready to go to her permanent home just yet. (She is emaciated and came in missing nearly all of her fur. Good news is that since getting on a good diet and on antibiotics she's starting to grow in fuzz all over.) She's an adorable little girl.

I met her soon-to-be mom through emails (she lives out of state) and asked her if she had any name ideas so that I could start getting her used to her new name while she's here. Her new mom just wanted an "M" name to match her other dogs and had been considering the name "Mollie" but was open to suggestions.

Well Mollie didn't seem to fit this girl and one night I was talking to my sister about her. I wasn't coming up with any "M" names that seemed to fit. My sister suggested the name "Mindy." As soon as she said it, it seemed to fit this girl's personality and looks. Later that night while I was playing with her I got the idea to call out the names and see if by some odd chance any would get a reaction.

I waited until she had her back to me and then called out her generic rescue name, no reaction. Then I tried "Mollie" and there was no reaction. Then I said "Mindy" and instantly she turned and perked up her ears. I did this several times thinking it must be a fluke thing. Well, to my amazement, this girl not only perks up to the name Mindy, but also comes to me when I call her.

I told her mom about her reaction and she's happy to keep her name as Mindy since it seems this little chi really likes it!

Since she was a stray, we have absolutely no background on her at all... so what are the chances of her original name actually being Mindy?

Here are some pictures of this little sweetheart!

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

aaaaaaaw! and hey - my mom's name is Mindy!! good name!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

what a cutie

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Awwwww ... she is so precious! It's good that she's going to get a good home now!

When I found my Yorkshire Terrier, Laddie, we had almost a similar experience with him.

I tried all kinds of different names and none of them seemed to fit. So, about a day later, I was thinking of Scottish-y names and just LADDIE came to mind. And oddly enough, he responded so well to it!

Well, since we had found him on the side of the road, we were constantly checking the newspapers for ads about a lost yorkie. There was this one add that described Laddie perfectly (same area and everything that we found him). The woman who posted the ad said her dog responded to the name "Figaro." Well, my grandmother came into my room that morning calling sweetly, "Figaro, come here Figaro!" And Laddie almost ate her alive! He came charging out from under my covers growling and barking at her! So, she stopped and said, "Come here Laddie." And he came instantly.

She tried this again later on that day and the same thing happened. So, she called the woman back to tell her sorry, this wasn't her Figaro. And he's been Laddie every since. He's around 16 years old this year, too. The vet estimated his age around five when we got him, and we've had him eleven years. Right now he still lives with my grandparents--he was "my" dog, but he has always believed he is my grandfather's dog. So, when I moved to Finland, I decided not to take him with me because of his age AND because it would break my grandfather's heart to lose that dog. (Not to mention Laddie HATES the cold. )

It's so wonderful Mindy is coming around and growing hair! She's going to be a beautiful chi when she gets her new, full, glossy coat in!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What a great story about Laddie, I'm glad you shared that! I can picture in my mind his reaction to "Figaro" LOL

We are anxious to see whether or not Mindy ends up being a short coat or long coat lol Right now there's no telling! She's just getting enough fuzz in for us to be able to tell what her color patterning is. She has a contagious personality and is absolutely full of love!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Miss New Booty

Awwwwwwww! Mindy is adorable!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggiemommy
She's just getting enough fuzz in for us to be able to tell what her color patterning is. She has a contagious personality and is absolutely full of love!
Wow, she was really that hairless? That really is heart breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggiemommy
She has a contagious personality and is absolutely full of love!
As well she should! She gets to be warm now by wearing schnazzy sweaters and has a foster mama that loves her to pieces! (And we all know dogs adore returning the love that is given to them ten-fold. )

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yes, she really was that hairless. She had about 1/3 of the hair on the back of her neck and only two very very small patches on her back. She didn't even have the starts of hair anywhere else, her skin was as smooth as your legs get after using Nair or something like that.

I've tried some clothes on her and her harness, but neither can stay on her more than a few minutes. Her skin is very sensitive and it bothers her to have anything on her. She starts scratching and has broke her skin, superficially, a couple of times. She probably won't tolerate even her harness until her coat has grown in a lot more. The only thing she does like the feel of is her fleece blankets. I usually wrap her up when I hold her on my lap while I work and she falls fast asleep!

She had a followup visit with the vet today. She hasn't gained much weight, only 4 ounces, but she has been extremely active so it's not a big surprise. She was able to get her first booster shots. The vet feels pretty certain she doesn't have mange mites, but just to be safe gave her a second shot of ivermectin. I need to continue her medicated baths every other day and rub her good with oil afterward.

She still stinks pretty bad, according to other people, but apparently I must be getting use to the smell, because I don't notice it much now. lol She does smell very much like a ferret, but she's got puppy frito feet smell too!

Vet feels her flakey skin and hair loss are direct results of starvation and extreme neglect and guesses her to be about 4-5 years old.

She's scheduled to get spayed two weeks from today and then a week after that (assuming all goes well and transport can be arranged) she'll be on her way to her forever home where her "mommy" is very anxiously awaiting her arrival!

Here's a chi that looks extremely similar to her (we've compared in person) and this is how Mindy's coat should (will) look once it's full:

This is how she looked when she was rescued:

All the gray color you see in her pic is just her skin.

Last edited by piggiemommy; 07-03-2004 at 01:47 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:33 AM

Hmmm ... maybe she stinks because of the medicated baths or the oil? It's a necessary stink, but it could be the reason. I know the medicated shampoo we had to use on my aunt's German Shepherd smelled HORRIBLE!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Her shampoo smells good actually, the vet described her smell as "yeasty"

Tags
german shepherd, hair loss