What should I do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Question What should I do?

We bought a mastiff puppy about two-three months ago. She is housetrained and pretty good with going out and such things. The only problem is she constantly bites. The vet said spray her with a water bottle but she just tries to catch it in her mouth. Nothing seems to be working.

She also tries to jump up on the dinner table when we're eating. Lately we've been putting her on her leash while we're eating, but all she does is cry and whine the whole time. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Caitlyn and Roxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Alot of puppies are biters and it takes awhile to grow out of it. When I took Mirra to obedience school the trainer said that everytime she bites make a very loud, high pitched yelp noise. The first time I did it Mirra didn't know what to think. She almost looked like she was embarrassed. Only a few times of that and she stopped biting so hard.

I had a problem with the pups trying to jump in my lap or at my plate while eating. I just kept shoving them down and said "NO" very sternly. They still beg but now they don't try to jump up and grab something off the plate. They just sit there and stare. Keeping her on a leash is fine, she will eventually learn that whining will get her no where, as long as you don't cave and let her off of it while you're eating. When we have company over for dinner I always crate my dogs because some people don't like dogs staring at them while they're eating. They will whine once in awhile but they know they aren't coming out until we're done and they usually get a treat for waiting patiently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:11 AM

I agree with what Scarlette said. Squirting her with the water bottle isn't going to help. Just cry out when she bites you. It's not meant to be a bite bite, but more of a play thing. Just something she missed in the social structure of the litter would be my guess.

As far as the table goes. I too, will just push my dogs away and tell them NO. It takes a few tries, but they get it. Our mastiff can stand at the counter and reach off of it without stretching at all... fortunately he doesn't do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 AM

My first Rottie wanted to steal our food from our plates so we decided to make him stay on his spot while we were eating. We now do the same thing with Loki. At first you might have to jump up and down a lot to place them back on their spot but even my first boy learned pretty quick that he wasn't getting off that spot until we were finished eating. Then we proceeded to feed him once we were done.

Neither dog was/is allowed to sit by us when we are eating. It has worked very well for us. Loki doesn't even try begging for food anymore, he usually just stares at us for a minute and then curls up and naps while we eat.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poppy still play bites occasionally, I've read that you should try putting your dog into submission (on her back) every time she does this.

I don't know if it works though.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

One of the tricks I use to keep Banshee from annoying the kids while they eat is putting her food in her dish just after I sit the kids down at the table.....they all eat at once that way.
Now if I could get my girls to eat as fast as Banshee. . . . . . .

It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:41 PM

I would also try making the yelping sound when she bites. When I did that with Zoe she would crawl in my lap and act all sorry. But I still think she will mostly just have to grow out of it.

With eating I would push Zoe away and tell her no. Now she will either sit and stare or go take a nap usually when she is inside. If we have company, we usually put her out in the backyard.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

My dog never use to beg for food, when we would sit down for dinner we wouldn't talk to her or look at her. She started to lay beside me on the floor and sleep while we ate. I know there was more to how we trained her but i can't remeber since i was only 10 when we trained her.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

be consistent, if you don't want him at the table, make sure to put him away from it every time (that means no neaking table scraps while they are on the table lol) I had a hard time with that cause I am a push over but I finally achieved the end result of them waiting at their bowls for us to finish if there is any little treats...

my dogs were never biters, but my papa does the yelping thing and it works...

good luck

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:23 PM

the best thing you do, as members have already mentioned, when a dog is doing something innappropriate (like begging) is to just ignore it. Don't yell at them incessantly, and definately don't give in. They will eventually see that their efforts are wasted and will give up.

As far as the biting, it is most likely just play, but I would curb it now before it influences future aggression. Yelping in pain, accompanied with completely ignoring your dog and walking away following the bite, for a few minutes, will most likely stop the habit.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 06:04 PM

I am a dog trainer in training and also own two dogs. One is two years old and one is eight weeks old. Puppies bite and nip because it's their way of exploring their world because they have no hands. I don't agree with yelping when bitten by a pup because it may have an adverse effect on some pups. The pup might repeat this just to get your attention. What I am finding out right now with my new 'baby' is if you are holding her or him and the pup begins to bite, offer it one of it's chew toys to bite on instead of your hand or fingers. Don't get the pup in the habit of biting you. You can also spray your hands with bitter apple spray and this will help deter the pup because they don't like the taste. You can also train her not to nip by holding a tiny bit of a treat (I use soft liver treats) in one hand and while she's trying to taste it, pet her with the other hand.
Also, don't 'rough house' with your pup or play slap. This only encourages the pup to bite more.
For the begging behavior: A strong 'sit-stay' or 'down-stay' is usually recommended to correct this. The dog should never get treats or any type of food from the table or kitchen counters and never give your dog anything you are eating while you are eating.
The 'leader' of the pack which is you, always eats first, not the dog. You can prepare his food but don't put it down for him until you and your family have started eating. Once you all sit down, someone can get back up and feed the dog. Before you put the dish down, have your dog sit and stay. Put the food bowl down and give the cue, "OKAY"! Go back to eating your meal. If he doesn't start eating it in a minute or so, remove the food bowl. He will learn he had better eat his food or lose the priveledge.
There is no 'free lunch'. A dog should always offer something in return for everything he gets. If you want to pet him, make him sit or lay down. I can tell you this by experience, your dog wants you to be the leader and if you are consistent with your obedience training and remember that training is a life long commitment, you will have a happy dog and one who is well trained. If you don't show your dog that you are the leader of the pack, your dog will take the lead and that is only going to lead to frustration and bad behaviors from your dog. The number one cause of death for dogs is bad behaviors uncorrected. The dogs wind up in the shelters then put to death just because the owner didn't know how to train him properly or didnt want to. Good luck.

Tags
bitter apple spray, chew toy, chew toys, food bowl, obedience training, table scraps