What should I think of her actions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What should I think of her actions?

Yesterday I was catching up on some house work (when not online lol) in between playing with the dogs and such, it kept raining so we would come in when it started to really come down. My small female is in season so I put her in a big crate in the bathroom. Anyway I had been doing some laundry and was taking the basket to the bedroom. My other female was just standing there and she sometimes likes to follow me, when she isn't curled up sleeping. I called her to come and she ran very fast, detoured right into the bathroom at the other female in the crate. I was fast in response, I yelled at her even before I made it over there and she back off, but was still growing. She went out of the bathroom and I told her to get in the kitchen so she ran in the kitchen. Was she just confused about something? Running in their like that after I called her and attacking at the crate front. That is out of character for her so it was surprising to me. She gets along with male/female dogs of all sizes/ages. She has not had any same sex aggression with another female in season either. I think she was confused about the situation or maybe rebelling. I considered maybe her being rebellious as about 2 weeks ago there was another incident. Not anything like this one (so maybe they are not even related) but she did misbehave which is not like her. I know dogs are not perfect and sometimes do things that don't make us happy but since its been a couple things within a couple weeks I'm wondering about it. Should I take both things into consideration or only 1 since they were 2 different things. What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Check Them Out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I really have no idea maybe she was communicating with the dog in the kennel that you couldn't see or sense before that

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Leo

How old is the female in question and is she altered?
What was the other incident and was it with the same dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I think its figured out. She might have thought it was a strange dog, a poster on another forum is thinking with the smell she is giving off while in heat would be a new scent too. Normally I put strange/visiting dogs in the big crate in the bathroom and the dogs will know right. Even with the door being closed they will sniff at the door and some growl at the door. Once they get used to the smell they are ok with it and even play with the "intruder" but at first they know its not part of the pack. So I think maybe she just got a little confused about it. Caught the smell and ran into there. When I got to the doorway she was already turning around probably since I yelled at her but she was just fine after the fact. So she maybe realized it was her little friend in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
How old is the female in question and is she altered?
What was the other incident and was it with the same dog?
She is 6yrs old, finished but still intact as she might pick up some multi titles next year.

This was the other incident, it wasn't the same thing, she wasn't reacting to another dog.
About 2 weeks ago I was preparing a bunch of dog food in the kitchen. They (hubby, son and nephew) were in the living room. I stepped out of the kitchen to say something and when I came back she had a big chicken thigh in her mouth. She knows better then to take food which does not belong to her. This includes when unsupervised yet within just a couple minutes she did. That is normally not like her in any way. I took the chicken quarter from her and she ran off and acted all hurt and sorry.

That is why I was thinking maybe she is being a little rebellious overall but probably they are not even connected incidents. I do think she was confused.

Check Them Out

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well I don't blame her for the chicken. It's good! *lol* At least she knows better than to get something nasty out of the garbage like my little brats.

As far as the crate incident goes, I wonder if she thought the crate was hurting your other dog since there would have been some smells and the other dog was probably not pleased. If the crate isn't around much it would be very confusing. Especially if she didn't already know it was in the bathroom. I don't know what sort of crate you have, but she also may not have seen the other dog right away and reacted fearfully out of surprise. I don't think it was an aggressive towards the other dog thing.

If the other dog was out of the crate and she could see her, I think she would have understood what was happening better.

Of course, one time my little Harvey started growling at my chemistry model set on the table. His hair was raised up on his back and he was going to kill it! He's usually a very happy-mild dog too. He hasn't done it since... who knows what goes on inside his head sometimes.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Will It Ever Change?

I think maybe when you called her, she was fast asleep. She arose confused, not woken up, and ran to your call. On the way, she smells...maybe the heat, maybe the crate with other dog smells...and, being confused, reacted to the stinky intruder that was in HER home. So she goes to react, gets there and sees her friend, and at the same time hears your commands. She retreats while feeling dumb. lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmilla View Post
Well I don't blame her for the chicken. It's good! *lol* At least she knows better than to get something nasty out of the garbage like my little brats.

As far as the crate incident goes, I wonder if she thought the crate was hurting your other dog since there would have been some smells and the other dog was probably not pleased. If the crate isn't around much it would be very confusing. Especially if she didn't already know it was in the bathroom. I don't know what sort of crate you have, but she also may not have seen the other dog right away and reacted fearfully out of surprise. I don't think it was an aggressive towards the other dog thing.

If the other dog was out of the crate and she could see her, I think she would have understood what was happening better.

Of course, one time my little Harvey started growling at my chemistry model set on the table. His hair was raised up on his back and he was going to kill it! He's usually a very happy-mild dog too. He hasn't done it since... who knows what goes on inside his head sometimes.
LOL well I wasn't real mad at her I just know that she knows better. She had already eaten that day too so she was just being greedy.

I don't think she thought it was hurting the other dog. She is used to seeing other dogs crated (including those in season) but I do think she got confused. The crate is usually there but empty so I think that since there was a dog in there with a different smell then that female normally has that is why she went after it. The only time there is usually a dog in there is when it is a strange dog. Which upsets them for a little while but then they get used to the smell. One time I only had a dog in there for a few hours one night (it had been running around loose and I held it for the owners) the owners came to fetch their dog. The next morning though the smell of that dog was still around because my dogs were upset. It is amazing how sensitive a dogs nose really is.

It is a plastic type crate. I don't think she was surprised about the dog in the crate because she didn't have time to get surprised and scared. She ran right to that, detoured straight for it when running to me or at least I thought she was going to complete the run to me. So she already planned to go that way before she could even see the crate with how it is in the bathroom and with the bathroom door.

LOL that is funny about Harvey. I have had them bark at some weird things too, especially puppies that see something and just bark at it. One of mine when a pup was barking at a frisbee then she started playing with it after carrying on and smelling the odd thing. The one that was crated saw toads and she sniffed them, when they hopped she jumped back in the air, then sniffed them again. Now she paws "at them" more like by them not trying to actually hit them, then they hop and she follows them along doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
I think maybe when you called her, she was fast asleep. She arose confused, not woken up, and ran to your call. On the way, she smells...maybe the heat, maybe the crate with other dog smells...and, being confused, reacted to the stinky intruder that was in HER home. So she goes to react, gets there and sees her friend, and at the same time hears your commands. She retreats while feeling dumb. lol
Sorry for the confusion she was not asleep at the time. I meant she sleeps a lot, like curled up by herself. This time she was standing there so that is why I called her to follow. She was standing some feet before the bathroom door when I called her to me. I think you are right though with her thinking it was some strange dog that didn't belong there.

Check Them Out