What should we look for?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheels aren't turning so quick ...

What should we look for?!

Okay, so here's the situation. We FINALLY decided to get a dog. The problem is, we can't figure out what kind to get. The majority of the household wants a pug. I think pugs are sweet and adorable, but I am also having this Papillon craving now, thanks to JADE! LOL! Anyway, we are looking for a dog that is small to medium sized, is good with kids, can be a good lap dog, doesn't bark TOO much (I figure any dog is gonna bark some, just would prefer one that didn't do it ALL the time.) We've got a good yard, but a cruddy fence, so the dog would need to be inside most of the time, except for when we take it out for walks and such... Anyway, I've been reading about all kinds of dogs and as with anything, get conflicting info. I figure we'll end up with a pug, since I am the only one who wants the Papillon, but I am looking for info to build my case with. haha.

-Avima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

http://pugs.com/index.htm
There's a good Pug website. I would definetely read if nothing else the health & care section.
I couldn't find a Papillons, but I did find this... http://www.puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/papillons.htm You can also look up Pugs on that site. Good luck with your new pup whatever you decide to get.

I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i think if you have kids, i would get a pug. definetely hardier. papillons can be fragile and they are CLINGY. they will follow you everywhere. plus i heard they are really hard to housetrain. buuuuuut....they are very intelligent. i think pug's are a little more stubborn. you should ask people that have em though. but i'm just trying to help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

This site looks interesting....

Breed Selector

I don't know how good it is, but is was fun to play with and you might get some useful information there!

[center]

[
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Great site Deja. I love playing with those things. Funny though, no matter how I answer the questions I don't get but one of the breeds I have. The Labrador. HA

Avima, good luck on your quest. I love Papillons though. They are adorable.

I know a lady in Az that breeds show pugs. I love her dogs, they are adorable and super nice.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Miss New Booty

I have a papillon, Avima! Does anyone else on PT have a papillon?? Guys?! They are the cutest little dogs aren't they?!? I fell in love with the breed after seeing this adorable little dog in a lady's purse in a Zyrtec commercial! I had to know what that breed was! I LOVE their ears! I have a girl, named Jasmine, will be 2 already in March. Ok...let me just tell you, these dogs are very sweet!!! But I must say, I think these dogs would love nothing more than to be put on a pedastal in a one doggie home! When we have had Jasmine by herself, she *loves* being the only dog. Jasmine and Penny fight alot and have dominance things going on, etc. Don't get me wrong, she does great with the other dogs and my cats, it's just I think the papillon breed would love to be the one and only, that's how they are. They are great with kids, Jasmine is a little jumping bean, just loves everyone to pieces. I wouldn't necessarily say they are "fragile", I worry more about my dachshunds jumping and hurting their backs that about her jumping. She can jump almost as high as my shoulder! They are very hyper and energetic! Love to play. Yes, they CAN be very hard to housetrain. ( I have heard it can be atleast 1 years old before they are potty trained) However, we had problems with Jasmine on food allergies, and that was a huge part of her problem in that department. My poor girl I guess you could say the breed has sensitive tummys as well. They will follow you everywhere, but so do my dachshunds. They are just a very loyal breed of dog, both breeds. They are smart, and are good watch dogs. Can tend to be yappy. I didn't know that until I talked to teachers in an obedience class I took her too. We had a big problem with separation anxiety when she was young, would yap and whine and cry alot. Now, she grew out of that, just barks right along with my dachshunds. lol. They love to run, but love the inside, too. I think your yard would be just fine.
I think your family would see one and just fall in love!!!
Here are a couple pics of Jasmine!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Jasmine is such a cutie! I just love her color and little tail!!! I don't have advice for the doggie picking but I wish you the best of luck!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Miss New Booty

Thanks girl! Her tail is SOOO fluffy!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It looks like it! I want to touch it, I bet it is soft too! lol

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

AWWWW.. She's beautiful! Yeah, I am wanting a Papillon, but the rest of the household is really pushing for a pug. I love those too, so I probably will lose. LOL
We'll see if I can ever find another one around here. If not, I've found two Papillon breeders that live about an hour from me, so... hehe

-Avima

href="
target="_blank">

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 AM
Miss New Booty

Thank you so much! That's awesome there are breeders near you!!! I would call one of the breeders and take your family to look at one! hehe Either way, pug or papillon, you and your family will have a wonderful puppy that will be so loved by you all! And we can't wait for pics!

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Okay, how can I say no to this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pappup300.jpg (19.6 KB, 10 views)

-Avima

href="
target="_blank">

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:58 PM

Oh my goodness how cute!!! Okay so what is it LOL I absolutely can not tell by the picture what type of breed it is but its a cutie
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Miss New Booty

Awwww!! Is that a baby papillon?!?!!?! I'm with Dena, I can't see too clear to know if it's a papillon, but AWW such a cutie!!!!!!!!! Is this a puppy you are possibly thinking about getting??! Oh don't keep us in suspense!

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh my gosh - look at Jasmine!! I love her! She's so adorable!!!
Jackie, how much does Jasmine weigh? Holy cow, she can jump that hight? She really is a jumping bean awww she's such a sweetie

Avima -goodness that is a gorgeous puppy! I'm with everyone else, don't keep us in suspense !!! What breed is it? Is that the puppy you have chosen? It's beautiful

[center]

[

Tags
lap dog, potty train, potty trained