What would you do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

As to Deb's situation regarding the loss of beloved Samson:

Florida has a 14-30 day law which covers dogs and cats, requiring that the pet dealer have the dog or cat tested no less than 14 days and no more than 30 days prior to transporting the animal into the state. There are other requirements regarding sale of dogs and cats (including veterinary certification to be given to the buyer at the time of the sale), as well as a state-governed exchange or refund guarantee (up to 1 year). Here's the code if you'd like to read it further.

If I were you, I'd write the breeder a letter, citing Florida Code § 828.29, and advising that the law requires that you are to either receive an exchange or full refund for the full purchase price of your puppy (in this situation, I would only ask for a refund, due to the specific problems the puppy had that were apparently hereditary), restate the incident and prior communications with the breeder (if any), and demand a full refund, in addition to all medical bills and expenses. Send the letter via Certified Mail - Return Receipt Requested.

If you receive no response, check with the licensing board and find out whether the pet dealer is required to maintain a license to sell puppies. If so, ask whether the breeder is licensed, and if not, then report them. If the breeder is licensed, file a complaint with the licensing board.

You might also want to contact the Better Business Bureau. They don't always help, but it's one more avenue that you may want to try, just in case.

Last edited by Chrisanne; 10-28-2004 at 11:42 PM. Reason: edited per posters request to change text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow... it seems I've only managed to make myself aware of the 14 day rule.... Reading the information provided in that link seems to mean I would MORE than qualify for receiving the purchase price of Samson back since his medical bills far exceeded the cost of the puppy.... just the x-rays alone cost more. We paid $795 for Samson.

===
If, within 14 days following the sale by a pet dealer of an animal subject to this section, a licensed veterinarian of the consumer's choosing certifies that, at the time of the sale, the animal was unfit for purchase due to illness or disease, the presence of symptoms of a contagious or infectious disease, or the presence of internal or external parasites, excluding fleas and ticks; or if, within 1 year following the sale of an animal subject to this section, a licensed veterinarian of the consumer's choosing certifies such animal to be unfit for purchase due to a congenital or hereditary disorder which adversely affects the health of the animal; or if, within 1 year following the sale of an animal subject to this section, the breed, sex, or health of such animal is found to have been misrepresented to the consumer, the pet dealer shall afford the consumer the right to choose one of the following options:

(c) The right to retain the animal and receive reimbursement for reasonable veterinary costs for necessary services and treatment related to the attempt to cure or curing of the dog or cat.

Reimbursement for veterinary costs may not exceed the purchase price of the animal. The cost of veterinary services is reasonable if comparable to the cost of similar services rendered by other licensed veterinarians in proximity to the treating veterinarian and the services rendered are appropriate for the certification by the veterinarian.

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I still have the lingering problem.... We have not found them yet

I do have a name and an email address.... If I do find them though.. YOU BET I'll meet them in small claims court!!!

I've got a lot more fire under my step now

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

p.s. Way less than a year. We brought Samson home on May 9th, 2004. On Oct 22nd 2004 he was laid to rest.

- Deb

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
p.s. Way less than a year. We brought Samson home on May 9th, 2004. On Oct 22nd 2004 he was laid to rest.
Oh, gosh, that's just horrible. I'm so sorry! Please let us know the results of your demand to the breeder. I'll help in any way I can.

EDIT: Ooops, I missed a post. If you give me all the info. you have on the breeder, I'll try to help you track him/her down.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

***Removed by admin***

Sorry, please PM this information.

- Deb

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Great! I'll see what info. I can find out this evening. I'm about to go to the hospital (my ex-fiancé had a heart attack, double bypass surgery yesterday, and is being moved from ICU in a lil while - so sad, cuz I just lost my ex-hubby last Dec. due to a heart attack ).

BTW, how did you pay the breeder (by check, cash, etc.)? This is very important.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ugh very sorry to hear of your losses. Please don't let my stuff take away from yours

Re the question... we paid cash...but we have a written receipt for it as well as the AKC docs etc that they signed over...

- Deb

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Ugh very sorry to hear of your losses. Please don't let my stuff take away from yours

Re the question... we paid cash...but we have a written receipt for it as well as the AKC docs etc that they signed over...
Awe, thanks! Actually, I didn't realize it was this late in the day, and don't want to sit in Atlanta rush-hour traffic - won't get there any sooner, so I might as well wait until it dies down, save myself some stress, and go to the hospital later. Any suggestions as to a gift I should take to him? He'll be in there for about 6 more days, and prolly bored during that time.

Hmmm, I was hoping you had paid the breeders by check. That way, you could serve them with a lawsuit via service by publication, and more than likely they wouldn't show up in court, and you could get a default judgment against them, then garnish their bank account (which info. would be located on the back of your cancelled check ).

Anyway, I went ahead and tried to locate them. It appears that they moved not long ago, and may have forwarded their mail. You might first try sending them some type of "junk" mail (an ad that you received in the mail that you don't want - lol) to their old address, and on the front of the envelope, place in large print "FORWARDING ADDRESS REQUESTED". Don't put your name on the envelope - just your address, so that they won't recognize you if it is forwarded to them and the post office will have your address to notify you of their new one. Send that regular mail (not certified, of course), but put 2 stamps on it (sometimes flags your mail and encourages the post office to comply with your forwarding request ). Hopefully, you'll get their new address using that method.

If that fails, let's give it a lil more time, so that their new address will get added to the national databases, and we can cross-reference their info. (it's currently showing up with their old address and telephone number). You're still well within the statute of limitations, so there's still time left to wait.

Also, chances are that they're still breeding, and will advertise somewhere. How did you find out that they were selling puppies? And, do you know what else they might breed, or what type of work either of them do, other than breeding? There may be some other avenues there (AKC, email solicitation, etc.).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Mods..can split this thread off? I think some of the info is good for others to have (and some probably should not have been posted ... I knew that...I was angry..didn't care...sorry bout that ) I know none of it belongs in "this thread" though

Samson's pedigree is posted here: (All public info)
http://www.picolio.com/staticpages/i...SamsonPedigree
It contains all of the AKC Numbers etc...

The newspaper ad is posted here: (newspaper totally public..phone # is no good anyway)
http://www.picolio.com/Albums/Samson.../SamsonsAd.jpg

- Deb

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
The newspaper ad is posted here: (newspaper totally public..phone # is no good anyway)
http://www.picolio.com/Albums/Samson.../SamsonsAd.jpg
Deb, please keep an eye out on similar ads like that, especially any that state "Wolfgang/Vonhausen bloodline", and keep us posted.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I just called the OFA and the doc there said that if I get our vet to go ahead and try to list Samson's xrays etc we should be able to get him listed in the OFA which will link him via the AKC numbers to Samson's grandparents even though his actual parents were not listed so I think I'm going to do that as well. It's not much...but it's a start to at least put a red flag out there.

- Deb

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
I just called the OFA and the doc there said that if I get our vet to go ahead and try to list Samson's xrays etc we should be able to get him listed in the OFA which will link him via the AKC numbers to Samson's grandparents even though his actual parents were not listed so I think I'm going to do that as well. It's not much...but it's a start to at least put a red flag out there.
That's great, Deb! Any info. you can get will certainly help.