What you have to do for food! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

What you have to do for food!

Hi doggies of the forum! This is Odie typing! I just wanted to give you a great advice of how to get your humans to give you food off their plates. I have been perfectionating this technique and is very effective with my aunt... even though is not as effective with my mom... but still you should try it!

First, you have to stare right at your human's eyes, repeating in your mind "give the food to the doggie.. give the food to the doggie" Don't even blink! For it to be effective you have to do it till your human looks at you and say "awww"... here is a pic of me showing you how:

Now, see the results:

See? It's highly effective and you are bound to, at least, get 1 piece of food. 8) So, doggies of the forum, try this method and be sure to post your results here! Good luck!!!

Tail wags, Odie

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi.
Indy here...
i am an expert at the cute stare look and am always rewarded but if all else fails I just jump up and take it.
I am king of the house you know.
The cats try the look but they are mere minions to us dogs right Odie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Hi Indy!

I did try the jump when I was younger... but it was only trouble for me.. see... mom always put me on time out if I did it... now.. later I learned that if I did the just the stare, then I would get food... with mom sometimes I have to sit in front of her like a good boy for her to cave in.. but with auntie it's much much easier. 8)

And, yeah... dogs rule and cats drool!!! (LOL.. that's from a movie mom was watching the other day... "The Incredible Journey" with 2 dogs and a cat... cool movie)

Dimaris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well I have 2 mommies and I can not get away with it with 1 mummy but with the other I can do anything and not get told off.
The other day she had made a yummy salami sandwich and when her back was turned MINE...

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Gumbo wanted to report that he's failed miserably at this. He tells me I'm much too stubborn all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaveitchocolate.jpg (43.3 KB, 9 views)

Stephanie

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Awww That's not fair, Gumbo! I mean.. I know I'm not allowed to have chocolate, and I don't even ask for it when mommy or aunty are eating... now.. when they have salad, or fruits, or some rice or meat... then I know it's worth doing the stare! LOL

Dimaris

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm immune to the stare. He tries, believe me!

Stephanie

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

LOL

When Odie was a puppy, the girl that was my housemate used to give him food off her plate all the time. Then, he was uncontrollable, when I was eating he was always jumping up to my plate and trying to steal the food, so I started training him to sit while I was eating and gave him a little something whenever he sat and put him in "time out" (tie him in the corner of the room for 5 minutes) whenever he jumped or tried to steal food. I can even put the plate in front of him and make him sit (like Gumbo is in the pic)... it's so funny cause he looks at me like he's thinking "don't look at the food, don't look at the food!" Now, he sits beside me while I'm eating and he always gets the last bite... but with my sister, he stands like that all the time while she eats, and his eyes just melt her heart and she has to give him some food of her plate... lol

Dimaris

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Jade can I send Indy to yours for a week or 2 to put him straight?
Maria can never get cross at him so he gets away with anything and then when I tell him off he sneaks over to her and I look the bad guy

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 10:46 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Hello, Tito here.

I have perfected the stare down. Even when mom & dad tell me to "get in your crate" I will eventually sneak back as close to the kitchen table as I can get. Then I stare and stare and stare until dad gives in. Mom hollars at dad for giving in but the treat is worth it! Funny how mom doesn't get mad at me but hollars at dad instead.

The bird in our house (he's mean to me and tries to bite me all the time) is really good at the stare but in that case it's mom that gives in and shares her dinner with him. He's got her figured out!! At least that's what dad says.

~ Jodi ~

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Kirby here,

Before my mommy came, the stare worked WONDERS on my daddy. He would always give me his leftovers once he was done eating from his plate.

But once mommy came here, things changed. She started making daddy put his plate up before I got to clean it! And, when I tried the stare on her, she would growl at me. Once I tried to steal a little off her plate and she even bit me on the nose!

I wish it could be just my daddy and me again. Mommy won't let me stare or have any goodies--she says it's not good for me to beg or get people food.

I try ... but like Gumbo, I have one mean mommy.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
Kirby here,

Before my mommy came, the stare worked WONDERS on my daddy. He would always give me his leftovers once he was done eating from his plate.

But once mommy came here, things changed. She started making daddy put his plate up before I got to clean it! And, when I tried the stare on her, she would growl at me. Once I tried to steal a little off her plate and she even bit me on the nose!

I wish it could be just my daddy and me again. Mommy won't let me stare or have any goodies--she says it's not good for me to beg or get people food.

I try ... but like Gumbo, I have one mean mommy.
Ok you live closer I will send Indy to you for a week or 2

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 11:45 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
Once I tried to steal a little off her plate and she even bit me on the nose!
Rowan!!! You made me spit my water up!

~ Jodi ~

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:08 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Rowan!!! You made me spit my water up!
It's true, Jodi! I did bite him--it was the only way for me to get the point across that he WILL NOT beg for my food or try to steal it!

Since biting him, he's never done it again. I bet that's one technique you'll never read about in a dog book. (With good reason, too--cause you'll be scrubbing dog hair out of your teeth for weeks!)

Indy would like it here, I bet. He'd have two other boys to romp around with--and they'd sympathise with him because mean ol' Rowan won't let them eat people food.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think he would be scared of your dogs, he is a total wimp.
I am expecting him to be scared of the tiny puppy.
Maybe it will toughen him up.
if you bit him on the nose he would bite your nose back and you would be spitting hairs for years with his beard and al sorts of other stuff he hides in there...

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy