Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
12K views 51 replies 47 participants last post by  Perfect 
#1 ·
Hi, I would like to know what breed(s) of dog(s) everyone may have and how they obtain thier four legged friend?

I have a 11 year old sheltie name TASHA who my famiy adopted at Pets Mart. She is shy but really sweet. She dosen't fit the normal stereotype of dogs, she dosn't give kisses, cuddle, or like being pet, she dosn't play fetch, she may run around every now and then, but for the most part she lays around in my apartment and sleeps, eats, drinks and lays around some more. She does love other dogs and animals, but she dosn't play with them just checks them out. I don't think she knows how to play, =( but she does love my company, because if I leave the room she paces and one time she actually barked for me to come back! Which isn't normal for her, because she was de-barked by her pervious owner so when she does cough up a bark it is hoarce sounding and makes her hack. She does heel real well and I did teach her to sit. We have a special kind of love, and even though she dosn't like it that much, I give her a hug and a kiss every day. I think she is starting to like it though, because she seems to smile at me and every now and then she gets excited from it. (jumping around and wagging her tail) Which she seems to do more often now whenever I come home from work.

#2 ·
My current puppy is a chocolate lab (14 weeks)- I got him kind of by luck. My boyfriend's boss was breeding her two labs for some of her friends and relatives that wanted labs. And then when she had the litter she had 1 "left over." So my boyfriend, knowing that I had been looking for a dog and love labs, said I would take it. But then other things happened and I didn't think I would be getting him. To my suprise, two weeks later I got him!

All the other dogs I've owned (well, my family) have been humane society finds. We walked in, fell in love, and brought them home.

#3 ·
I have a beagle that is about 9 months old and I got her from some people that breed beagles just outside of town here. My bf got her for me for my birthday!

#4 ·
Hmmm, well.

I have a german shepard. He was my Christmas present from my hubby our first Christmas together. I had always wanted a shepard. He is 8 years old now.

We have a choc lab that we got from a neglectful neighbor that had purchased him. I told her to give him to me or I was turning her in. He was in horrible shape.

We have an Austrailian Shepard who belongs to my children. He came from a local breeder/breed rescuer.

We also have an English Mastiff who was a gift from my grandfather.

#5 ·
I have a 6 yr old daschund named Olle who was given to me about 3 months ago by a family member coz they were getting a new dog and there was nowhere else for him to go
And a 7 month old medium Schnauzer called Indy. We wanted a mini Schnauzer and rang every breeder in the area but they all either had waiting lists or the puppies had not been born yet so we put our names down. We also put an advert in the paper and some1 called and said they had a 5 month old puppy that had been placed out but they had brought him back (he can not be shown coz his tail does not sit straight) so we bought him and he turned out to be a medium one but we are so glad for him, he makes us smile each and every day :D

#6 ·
My first dog was really my stepmother's and lived with her. He was a Golden Retriever.
I got my own dog when I was 13. She was a Chow chow.
When I moved out on my own, it was better for my elderly chow to stay with my mom and I got a chow/shephard mix. Great dog but loved my kids' father best, so I let him keep the dog when I left him (I got the kids)
Currently I have two Pitbulls. In another year or two I'll have either a Great Pyranese or a Newfoundland to add to the pitties. I think I'll always have pits though ;)

#7 ·
currently I have a 14 year old beagle/kelpie x. She is my childhood dog and we obtained her from the rspca when she was 8 months old.

I also have a brindle and white english staffordshire. She's approx. 4.5 years old. We obtained her from a staffy rescue (6 hour return trip to get her). She's an amazing dog and I think we'll probably own staffy's forever now!

#8 ·
I have a German Shepherd Dog named Coral, that we got from the Animal Rescue League. She was a stray so we are not sure how old she is. We are guessing she is about 5 to 6 years old.

I also have a Pomeranian named Joey, who we got from a breeder on puppyfind.com. He is six months old and if I ever want another Pom, I will definitely use the same breeders. They were so nice and helpful. I still keep in touch with them once and awhile.

#9 ·
I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi that came from a new pet store that opened up here. Normally I wouldn't buy from a petshop b/c of the possibility of puppy mill dogs, but I hadn't seen any corgis for sale or adoption in my area, and it's been my favorite breed for a long time. I had a job interview with the company once and they swore that they don't sell puppy mill puppies and that if any store got caught doing so, they'd have to take their sign down, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Regardless of where he came from, he's pretty well behaved most of the time.

#10 ·
This might take a while... Lol.

Cinco-Yellow Labrador Retriver/German Shepard mix- We adopted her from a shelter that was visiting at PetsMart in the summer of 97. She's really sweet and is the best behaved dog we have. :)

Patches-Yorkshire Terrier/Maltese mix- We adopted him from a breeder. He was the only one of the litter left. He is sometimes a bit grouchy, but a wonderful dog.

Yukon-Pomeranian- Yukon is a wonderful little dog, yet very timid. He was at a puppy mill before he was sold to the pet store. I suspect abuse, as he gets spooked very easily and is afraid of most newcomers.

Emma-Maltese/Poodle mix- Emma is a wonderful girl. She is sweet and a great mother. We got her from a small pet shop where she was born and raised. She has given birth to 5 puppies, and that was her first and only litter.

Banditt-Yourkshire Terrier- Banditt is one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen. He is so adorable. He is a dad, yet so much a puppy. :D We got him from a breeder in December 04. He is a wonderful little puppy.

Brownie, Digger and Sadie- Yorkie/Maltese mixes- I've chosen to write about these three together as they are siblings. They are the charge of Banditt and Emma, and are extremely ADORABLE. :) They are sweet and kind little babies. :)

That wasn't that long, was it? ;)

#11 ·
My in-laws have a 8 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Chessie - absolutely gorgeous :D They got her when she was a puppy from a breeder in the area. She's blind now, due to some genetic eye problems. But she's still upbeat and loves to play and gets around just fine :)

#12 ·
sadukie said:
My in-laws have a 8 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Chessie - absolutely gorgeous :D They got her when she was a puppy from a breeder in the area. She's blind now, due to some genetic eye problems. But she's still upbeat and loves to play and gets around just fine :)
Oh, Chesapeake Bays are such gorgeous dogs! :)

#13 ·
I have a toy sized poodle, Priscilla, who ran away for 4 days and we got her back last night. She is my princess baby. I got her when i was 7.

Then we have and over-sized(not as in fat), crooked jawed sheltie named Cosmo. He is not shy at all, and very sweet. H's my brother's dog. Cosmo is a year younger that Prissy.

#14 ·
My parents have a golden retriever called Holly whose now nearly 11 years old and we got her from a breeder when i was 13. I'd always wanted a dog although i ideally wanted a small dog and oneday my parents surprised me and took me to the breeders and we picked her. She's been a problem free dog just troubled with a little arthritis now and again but she still goes her 2 walks a day and is a very loving dog :)

Then when i got my first job i decided that i wanted to get my own dog and i did a lot of research and chose the Lhasa Apso. I contacted the Lhasa Apso rescue but there was already a long waiting list so i decided to get a puppy and it took me a few months but i found a good breeder who clearly loved his dogs and i had the pick of the litter and i got my little bundle of mischief Poppy. Shes not your typical Lhasa she's a scruffy little mutt who doesn't like to be clean. I see other people and their lhasas are pristine, all clean and prim and proper and then i have my little fur ball looking all scruffy and bedraggled from digging, swimming and general rolling around in the mud but then again shes happy and you can't put a price on that. She's also such a little character and will take on any dog big or small and is extremely stubborn and won't do something if she don't want too ;) She's had a rough time lately as had to have major surgery and is now on a special diet for life but she always springs back and i wouldn't swap her for the world :)

#15 ·
Hello-
We are proud owners of a sheltand sheepdog!!! He is quite gorgeous and he can get into trouble!! Ha...

andrea

#16 ·
i used to have a japanese spitz, a german sheperd, and a red coated doberman which all of them have now crossed the rainbow bridge due to old age. now i currently have a bassett hound - labrador mix pup given by my sister's best bud as their labrador (male) "accidentally" mated with their bassett hound (female) (spaying is not a practice here in this country as they consider it to be cruel). The dog though is cute, have labrador coat, facial features except for the sad look and the huge ears (see a lop rabbit), and the short limbs...

#17 ·
Wow, quite a few sheltie owners here. :)

We only have two dogs, a Samoyed and a Shetland Sheepdog.

The Samoyed is named Kirby and is my husband's dog. He'll be 4 in July.

My Sheltie is a blue merle named Seamus and we got him last year from a breeder in Turku. Seamus was supposed to be "my" dog, but he's turned more into my husband's dog. He LISTENS to me better than anyone else, but I know he loves my hubby the best. Such is life, though. :)

#18 ·
I have a 9 year old Rottweiller, Chance that I adopted from the local shelter at 10mnths of age and he is so smart I trained him how to be a service dog for myself although I don't need it.

I taught him different phrases,socks,shoes,phone,zilla(stuffed toy),when i wash him or he is wearing a back pack for fishing, i tell him "turn" and he does so i can acess the other side. He learns anything and everything, I can't keep up. I will miss the little S&^%$ when he passes away. Ironically I started seeing this security officer since Nov 04 and I believe in signs and this is one of them that it will help me not be lonely when the dog passes to have someone there for me.

#19 ·
I have a Bichon Frise, female, neutered, she is 7 years old and she is a sweetheart, she is an angel...well..Almost an angel...she gets in alot of mischief...she is actually my dads dog, she loves him more than anyone....

Then theres my dog, Tuffy, male, 2 years old, he is a pomeranian/chiuhuhua, he is a sweetheart but gets into alot of trouble and sheds ALOT, he is the best friend anyone could have, he is very very very very hyper and he loves to play.....

#20 ·
I saw a red doberman and fell in love with it and decided to get one of my own. Scarlette is 6 years old now and a real sweetie. She's really lazy and her favorite activity is sleeping and eating. She is very car sick and prefers to just be a home-body.

My mom was thinking about getting a Bull Terrier about 3 years ago. I did a bunch of research for her and she decided that a BT wasn't the dog for her......I on the other hand fell in love with the breed and got one last June. Thus the story of Riley, my sweet little deaf BT that was dealt a crappy genetic hand and lived a short, but happy and spoiled life with me.

I knew I wanted at least 1 or 2 more Bull Terriers even before my sweet Riley Roo passed away. I was devastated beyond belief when she died, so in a search to find another BT to spoil, I found Mirra.

Mirra is 4 months old now and we start Puppy Kindergarten this Wednesday! :D We went "school clothes" shopping yesterday and got a new collar and leash.

In the past I've have mutts, a collie, 5 Boston Terriers (GREAT DOGS!), and a Lhasa Apso.

#21 ·
13 year old White German Shepherd named Tasha. She was got at a shelter... we were told she was very abused. She's came a long way since then.

1 year old Collie/Shepherd named Link. He was also a shelter dog who was picked up by the dog catcher and took by the SPCA here. Poor little guy was the wildest dog and still is pretty wild. Eek. :D

12/13 year old Jack Russell named Buddy. He was a shelter dog who was took to the shelter because someone came to take care of a disabled women and the dog was biting the children when the touched near his butt. He had no fur back there and the vet said he was allergic to fleas. He looked so awful with no fur back there and scabbed up and such.

4 year old Jack Russell named Shiloh. She was given to us by my uncle. He is very rough (as in hitting) and they kept her in a cage and weren't home a lot. Thank God she came to us, but they still have 2 dogs. :(

#22 ·
We have a pitbull-italian greyhound mix named Nugget (she's the same color as McDonalds chicken McNuggets). We rescued her from the local pound about 9 years ago. She has obviously been beaten (I don't see how ANYBODY can do that to a poor little animal :(). She is a very sweet, but if you scold her for anything, she gets very nervous and scared (probably from being abused in her early years). We have had 3 different vets look at her, and the first one said she was pitbull-fox terrier, then the other 2 told us pitbull-italian greyhound. There is really no denying that face is that of a pitbull (she looks like a baby pitbull to me). Her body is muscular like a pit, but she is shaped like an italian greyhound, and there are some facial features that make us agree with the last 2 vets that she is definately that breed. She is so adorable. She absolutely LOVES car rides, walks and cuddling. Just saying the words races, walk, ride, garage, treat, biscuit or Winona (that's something she learned when we started calling rides Winona's, as in Winona Ryder :crylaugh: ) makes her go CRAZY!! She gets all excited. Then words like bath, cage (or Nicolas is the other name for cage hahaha...I know, we're so creative) or bye-bye make her cringe. Anyways, that's our little precious dogs story.

#23 ·
Let's see, right now I have two miniature dachshunds.

Rebel is a black and tan doxie who will be 3 this year, I consider him my second dachshund. Rebel was bred by my older aged father who thinks that breeding a dog because it's a good looking dog is ok, which I don't agree with but I can't say that I'm not so very grateful to him because I have Rebel who is the best, most polite, sweet, and loving dog I've ever owned. He's not up on tricks so much but he's a well-mannered dog who just seems to know what to do. lol

Claire is my chocolate and tan dapple dachshund who will be turning 2 this year, wow the time flies! Claire is my third dachshund, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old, bought from a local breeder. Claire is a bit more outgoing than Rebel, she loves to play and be silly. She is very sweet and affectionate though and I wouldn't know what to do without her.

Before Rebel I had Amy, she was my first dachshund and I adored her, she's passed away now but I still love and miss her.

I've also got an australian shepherd named Niki who has to stay with my father right now due to home issues with my mom lol. She's still mine though and I miss her so badly. She's a blue merle with a goofy and playful nature, like Claire.

I've been brought up owning beagles, dachshunds, miniature dachshunds, collies, and lots of mutts, I do have to thank my dad for being a kind hearted man that would never let an animal be left without a home and someone that loved them. He doesn't breed his dachshunds anymore which makes me very, very happy. :)

#24 ·
PIT-BULLS, PIT-BULLS, PIT-BULLS

I figured I'd list once for every dog I own

Whinnie - Amer. Red-nosed Pit-Bull Terrier 3yrs - rescued
Boo-Boo - Amer. Red-nosed Pit-Bull Terrier 1 1/2 yrs - Born from Whinnie
Bailey - Amer. Blue-nosed Pit-Bull Terrier 3 yrs - rescued 2 weeks ago.

In the past I have owned hounds, Airedale Terrier, Lab's and Lhasa Apso's

In the future I'd love to own a Douge de Bordeaux, My girlfriend has 2 and I absolutely love them. Angel & C'Zarr, you'll see them posted here, beautiful animals.........

#25 ·
I have 3 dogs and my boyfriend has 1...mine are Puppers (Australian shephard) Lady (cocker spaniel) and Penny (yorky) Kens dog is peepers (doxie) they are all wonderful...peepers is blind so we are very careful with her, shes 14 years old, puppers is 11, Lady is 6 and penny is 4....lol all of them and a wonderful cat lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.