Whats the right time to get a dog fixed? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

Whats the right time to get a dog fixed?

We were told by our vet we should wait till the girls went into heat at least once. We waited that long with Lady as well, Puppers got fixed at 6 months...I was wondering what others views were.

We got Penny fixed when she was 9 weeks, the vet we had then said it was a good time and safe, she had all kinds of problems from it thats why we waited with Lady...I just wanted to know when others did it and if their were any side effects.

The girls are 10 months old now and Libby is in heat (messy girl lol) and leia already was so we are setting up their appointment for 2 weeks away. Since they are never out of our eye sight when outdoors we knew it would be ok for them to go through their first cycle, but I wonder why the vet tells people to wait, what are the benifits for the dog, does it make them healthier, or make the procedure safer?

I know I am rambling, I just have so many questions, its been a very very very long time since we have gone through this...

Oh and one more thing, do dogs get cramps like humans? I ask cause Libby lays against my lap with her belly facing the space heater outside, she never did that before lol so I was just wondering.

Thank you in advance...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

Around 5-6 months is good.I know alot of vets will do it before the first heat.
I dunno if they feel cramps,but some animals tend to get really sooky when they are in heat.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My vet always recommended having it done before their first heat cycle.

Edited to add:
To help keep the mess to a minimum we used cheap dollar store underwear with mini pads in them. We cut a hole in the back of the underwear for their tails. It was kind of hard getting used to the thought of changing a doggie pad but it saved us a mess in the house. Mirra and Sydnee decided to come into heat at the same time last spring so I know how bad it can be with 2 dogs in heat, in the house, at the same time. Shortly after their heat cycle was done we had Sydnee spayed. Now the only intact female we have is Mirra. I'm too afraid to have her spayed because she's allergic to everything under the sun (I have the allergy paperwork to prove it!) and I'm afraid she'll have some type of allergic reaction to the anesthetic and die.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

they are going in 2 weeks, their appointment is made...they go in at the same time, same day...

seems each vet I have talked to feels differently on the subject, I am hoping we made the right choice to wait, in the end its going to be done, I guess I just am worried about it anyways, Lady had severe complications.

Having 2 pmsing puppies is a huge handful, they are so sulky that I can't let them just run in the house, but they truely are messy...I am just feeling guilty right now I guess, I wish I knew if my vet was right or not

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Don't feel guilty. I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer. It all depends on the vet.

Rhonda

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

thank you so much...

My vet said if they were agressive she would do it sooner, but the fact that they are so happy go lucky and sweet natured she wanted to wait, something about letting them mature a little...

With my old poodle Petrie we cut a hole in a diaper for her, but the girls chew on everything lol, we even had to ducktape the end of their collar so they would chew it lol.

They are such sweet girls, but I so never want to go through the whole being in heat thing again lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

I know growing up we had our dog fixed when she was 6 months and she never really matured she always acted like a puppy wither or not that had anything to do with it we will never know. We did have issues with her chewing her stitches since she was a chewer so we had to et one of those stupid plastic cones for her.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

Remember some breeds mature later then others too and can act like a puppy well into adulthood.I don't think spaying or neutering has an effect on that.

Anyway good luck! When is their appointment?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

December 19th...I know they are gonna have to wear cones on their heads, its going to be hard babying 2 puppies who have surgery lol...my poor sweeties but I do love the vet so I know she will take good care of them...still nervous though.

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
heat cycle