When to begin obedience training? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Question When to begin obedience training?

Hey all,
I was wondering about how old a pup should be before beginning obedience training. She obviously knows a few simply commands, e.g. her name and come. Charlie is now 14 weeks old.

She weighs about 4-6 pounds, I'd guess...Her last weigh in was 3.5 but that was when I got her. What type of leash/collar would be best for this? We had a cloth choke collar for our older dog. I think she may even be too small for that. So is a simple collar/leash enough?

Any information would be welcomed. I also read Deja's stickied post about obedience training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 06:11 PM

I start with their at home training the day they come home. Once they are fully vaccinated I begin them in puppy class. I'd say now is good as long as fully vaccinated.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 07:33 PM

I agree with Chrisanne...fully vaccinated? Yup, she should be ready for puppy classes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Puppy classes eh? Is this a worthwhile venture or am I better of with training at home? I've never heard of this before.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:07 AM

It depends on how well you know how to train your puppy...Puppy classes teach you to teach your puppy the basics. Personally, I think every dog and owner can benefit from taking the classes
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:15 AM

Before you enroll your pup in an obediance class, find out what methods of training are used in the class you want to enroll in. Some folks are still VERY old fashioned and use lots of leash jerking, kicking, yelling, etc., to get the dog to behave.

Some people train their pups and dogs this way not knowing it's unnecesary to use such force and fear tactics, because a "professional trainer" told them to. And even when the methods for training are pretty good, humane and work well, sometimes you find a trainer who means well but says some really harsh things. (Like telling you the proper way to housebreak a dog is to grab it's muzzle and shove it's nose into it's own urine or feces.)

Besides learning how to properly train your pup/dog, puppy obediance classes are an EXCELLENT way to socialize your pup. You'll get to meet lots of nice folks and their great little bundles of pup fluff. Obediance classes are a sort of handy dandy two-in-one package. Definitely a good idea.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Before you enroll your pup in an obediance class, find out what methods of training are used in the class you want to enroll in. Some folks are still VERY old fashioned and use lots of leash jerking, kicking, yelling, etc., to get the dog to behave.

Some people train their pups and dogs this way not knowing it's unnecesary to use such force and fear tactics, because a "professional trainer" told them to. And even when the methods for training are pretty good, humane and work well, sometimes you find a trainer who means well but says some really harsh things. (Like telling you the proper way to housebreak a dog is to grab it's muzzle and shove it's nose into it's own urine or feces.)

Besides learning how to properly train your pup/dog, puppy obediance classes are an EXCELLENT way to socialize your pup. You'll get to meet lots of nice folks and their great little bundles of pup fluff. Obediance classes are a sort of handy dandy two-in-one package. Definitely a good idea.
I don't know where you went for puppy classes but I have NEVER seen anything like you describe go on! Most of puppy classes is playing and treats as rewards and no punishment such as yelling, jerking leashes or otherwise!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:25 AM

Oh I didn't go to anyone like that. I have, however, known people like that. Have you ever checked out any of the obediance training videos? God, some of them are HORRIBLE! I got one from the library that was "highly recommended" and it had this Southern man and his Australian Shepherds and Border Collies. If the dog wasn't paying attention, YANK! He'd jerk the chain. If the dog walked straight into him, KICK! The dog would be kicked and go flying. He used force and fear tactics. I only watched about 5 minutes total (skimmed to see if it'd get better and it got WORSE!) I have also heard plenty of horror stories about trainers. I've been lucky and never experienced a bad trainer, but I know folks who have. And rarely does anyone speak up against them, because the trainer is a "professional" and the dog owner is "merely an owner."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:55 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i took penny to classes when she turned 4 months. it really helped to socialize her. her class consisted of her and 2 really big dogs. now she isn't scared of big dogs!

you've never heard of obedience classes before?

for her weight and breed, i would totally recommend a harness (you can get them at petsmart). little breeds have sensitive tracheas and collars aren't the best choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 08:43 AM

We started Samson in the Petsmart puppy classes when he was 10 weeks old.

We made the decision to enroll him not because we needed help training him (he already knew how to walk the leash, sit, shake, and roll) but because he is a rottweiler and we wanted to ensure that he would be socialized with other dogs and people. A puppy class seemed like the perfect way for us to ensure we'd keep a schedule in getting him out there each week to romp and play "with strangers".

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo glad we took him to those classes!!!! He started off as the smallest puppy in the class... last night we completed week 7 of the 8 week class and he's now the biggest one in the class lol All of the other dogs, at a full grown state, are still "little dogs" so everyone started out having fun watching their lil shitzus beat up on my rottweiler... Samson got the last word in the end lol

At any rate I have learned a tremendous amount in the class as has Samson. I'll never regret taking him in.

As an aside... we had an excellent trainer in the class we chose to take. Some of the other trainers (our petsmart has a few of them) didn't thrill me as much so it's still important to talk with the various trainers of the classes you are able to take to ensure you've picked the one that's going to work best with you and your pup.

This coming Friday Samson gets to take his test and graduate his puppy class. I'm now thinking about taking one of their "next step" classes since this first one has worked out so well for us....

I'd say your pup sounds plenty old enough to begin..at home or in public. Samson learned Sit and Shake in 6th week of age so any time is a good time to begin imho

Tags
australian shepherd, border collie, obedience training, older dog