When will he start barking? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

When will he start barking?

When will my puppy start barking at thing? He barks to play and bother the other dogs but that's all. He's 7 months old now. Earlier someone was knocking and the dogs were going crazy but he had no idea what to do. I went up to go look to see who was there and he followed me with this confused look on his face. I told him go on and he went by the other dogs barking but he didn't do anything and he kept coming back to me and looking like he didn't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:23 AM

He may never bark under that situation. Some dogs just prefer to not bark. Its not really a bad thing though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Really? I thought he'd follow my other dogs but he hasn't. Two different times he barked at things. When I was walking him he started barking at someone and once there was a black brick thing and he started circling it and barking at it. He'll circle things that he doesn't know about a lot but won't bark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:36 AM

Like Chrisanne said he may never bark in that situation....Dog's pretty much chose what they want to bark at....Some dogs usually follow suit with what the other dog's in the household are doing, but not always, so don't think anything is wrong, it is just how this one is, that's all
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Alrighty, thanks you all.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 11:48 PM

What? You WANT your dog to bark? When someone knocks on my front door, my four dogs bark so loud... if I am talking I can't even hear my own voice
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

no kidding brenda! i wish mine didn't bark at EVERYTHING! haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I can't ever hear anyone knocking at the door. I only know someone is there if they bark and if they quit I know it's not a stranger.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 12:32 PM

Some breeds are more likely to be barkers than others. And on top of that, every dog has their own personality and some just like to bark and others don't.

One of my 3 is not really a barker... wish the other 2 would follow her actions!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:16 PM

I also depend on the barking dogs to know if someone is at the door. I've got poor hearing in one ear and no hearing in the other so the excitement of the dogs is a great clue for me to pay attention

Thankfully my shepherd mix does her job well -- guess that's why they German shepherds are in the watchdog category...

My old rotty wouldn't bark much if he knew who was there but would go nutz if someone he didn't know was there...

My new rotty puppy is oblivious to the whole thing.... Like your pup he just continues doing whatever he's doing paying no attention at all to the activity around him.... He's 4 months old now so I'm anxious to see if his attitude will change or not. I'm hoping he'll get excited about it and bark...but if he doesn't I'm content knowing that the other one will
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My two start barking at something and you can't figure out what they're barking at because all you hear is the barking! Somedays I think they're 'barkers' are stuck in the bark position
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Seamus used to "bwoof" when someone rang the doorbell, but since we live in an apartment, I told him not to. Kirby will make "bwoooo bwwwooooo" sounds when someone comes into our apartment, but we don't let him do it for long (it's just his way of greeting).

Though, Seamus will bark at Jessica Simpson on TV and once I even heard a little growl from him (haha, I guess I can say he REALLY doesn't like her)!

But really, we encourage our dogs NOT to bark! Maybe one day your pooch will develop his own special way of telling you someone's at the door. Until then, I think he figures he'll let the other dogs do all the work!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

He barks for everything we (well, not me but the rest of my family) want him not to. The only thing he does bark at that's good is when he needs to go out to use the bathroom. He's a GSD mix so I was hoping he'd have the GSD traits but I guess not. Hehe.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 06:12 PM

Another thing is that he's still a pup, so he may not bark for a while. I'm sure as he gets older the GSD traits will come into play. Sarge will bark when someone comes to the door, whether he knows them or not. I can tell if its someone he knows by his nub. He'll wag his nub bout 90 mph while hair raised and barking. He's weird. LOL But he barks if we say 'Who is it' Whos there' and 'Go get um'. Sheiba and Denali don't bark. Their breeds aren't much of barkers. They bark when they play or want something, but thats about it. Althouh not too long ago, I let Sheiba Sarge and Nali out ot see my mom when she got home from work, and Sheiba ran to the car with her hair raised on her back. I was shocked cause she usually is not like that.. oh well who knows... shes moody most of the time LOL

Tags
german shepherd, german shepherds, shepherd mix