Where do you take you dog when they die? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Where do you take you dog when they die?

I was just wondering where that people take or do with there dog when they die. I can say that all of the dogs that i have ever had and died have been buried in our back yard. Just wondering what other people do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

I do the same Sonic. I have an area that is for pet burial only at the time there is just one pet there. For those that live in an apartment setting or condo, I have noticed in my area there is a place that has been made specificly for pets. I don`t know but would suspect that a plot would have to be purchased for there are quiet a few pet head stones there.

If you`re not in it for life, get a stuffed animal.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 10:48 AM

By me there is actually a pet cemetary that is the size of a regular cemetary. It's quite beautiful. The specialize in plots, caskets, headstones and the works. At first I didn't even realize it was for pets and in a sad sort of way it was almost comforting to see something like this for people. Many of my "little" animals have been burried in my back yard but I plan on cremation and urns for my dogs and cats. Hopefully I won't have to think about it really for quite a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 05:19 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

My dog Bean (in my avatar) was cremated. We don't have her ashes, (that just cost more money for my dad and I think he figured I wouldn't be able to handle it anyways...) but thats what he paid for. I think I'd prefer cremation over burial, just because it less likely for another animal to dig it up or for it to be dug up in land reconstruction or something...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

In a lot of states back yard burial is illegal, although I have known plenty of people who have done that anyway.

I've had my pets cremated and kept their ashes. I've told Bub that when I die he can throw all the ashes in with me and burn us all again together then toss me somewhere.

The first pet I had euthanized was so horrible and I had no idea what to do. I decided that yes, I wanted to have him cremated and yes I wanted to keep the ashes. I wanted to sprinkle them in the lake behind Bub's father's house (where we used to live and William loved to fish) but both sides of the family made so much fun of me that I ended up carrying to ashes in the trunk of my car for over a year.

I don't know specifics about FL, but in KY there is a pet cemetary and they sale coffins and have services, etc. One lady had her dog euthanized at our clinic and the man came out and put it in the coffin for her, then we had to wait until she got back with her camera to take some pictures of it. I was kinda grossed out, but I felt sorry for her and understand on some level.

They're your family - you gotta do what you think is right for them and what your conscience will let you deal with. Other options in KY were (our spiel) mass burial with other animals (the city dump) or mass cremations with mass disposal (same thing).

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Backyard burial is illegal in some states?!? That's crazy, I would have never even thought that it was illegal!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Not to gross anyone out but years ago I worked for a vet and they had an incinerator- ALL the dead animals were thrown in together- so I hope when your paying for your pets ashes your just getting their ashes and not a bunch of other peoples dogs and cats. So how would you know for sure that's not happening?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:57 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

We had Bach cremated by himself and have his ashes at the house on a memorial shelf. (surrounded by a couple of pics, his collar & favorite toy)

We plan on having him burried in the backyard sometime soon near a nice little tree - we already have the headstone picked out. I would like to put a nice little flower garden around the area.

~ Jodi ~

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Princess in Waiting

Becki - I'm not sure about all states, but I answered that question MANY timese in KY! Of course people do it anyway. But think if they didn't wrap it well (smell) or another animal digging away - UGH!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Newborn Pup

When my dogs go which i hope will not be for a few years yet i will have them cremated then put in the garden with a nice gravestone. My husband is against cremating them as he believes they get cremated along with other pets.

Tracey....

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Backyard burial is illegal where I live too, but I know many people do it anyway.
When my Collie passed, many years ago, my vet took care of her. I had to have her put down. ( I didn't want to know what they did, I was beside myself in grief - I'm suspecting it's what Linda mentioned).
When it's time for the guys I have now... well I intend to have them cremated and do what Jodi has planned. I hope I don't have to think about that for many years.
It's just so sad, and such a deep loss... but I suppose it's something that needs to be taken into consideration.

to everyone who has had to go through the pain of loss.

[center]

[
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 06:50 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Tracey - the vet gave us the option of having Bach cremated alone or with other animals. Alone was more expensive but well worth it.

~ Jodi ~