Where do you take your dogs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Where do you take your dogs?

I was just wondering where people take their dogs. I take my dog Juno on walks around the neighborhood everyday, and ocassionaly take her to a dog park (me and a few friends take our dogs, and they are outside).
Juno is a 9 month old sheltie/aussie, she has A LOT of energy and when it gets muddy out, she can't run around outside.

I was wondering if there was anywhere I could take her and my pure sheltie puppy (Pongo, 7 months) to to let out some energy and socialize with other dogs. Juno may be going to puppy training soon, because she's not a very good listener, and Pongo really needs to go, he will not tolerate a leash and has issues with humans. I am wearing about taking Pongo anywhere except to visit the pet store every once in a while because he won't be getting heartworm or flea medication until spring. Juno already has it, though.

We will be training Juno to be a therapy and an agility dog when she is trained and Pongo may be trained in agility, but is there anywhere to socialize them now, so they do not have issues when they are older? They bark at other dogs a lot, but once they get up to the other dog and sniff, they are completely fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Part of the Pack

I have been taking Noah out as often as possible. We loiter in the pet store when we go to get food and snacks. This will be our first spring with him and plan on getting him out to parks with playgrounds so that he will get used to the sounds of children.

We do the dog park on a regular basis and this afternoon I discovered a open air mall that allows dogs in 90% of stores. How cool is that! It's a wonderful opportunity to get Noah used to crowds. I thought it was going to be a dinky place when I first heard dogs allowed but it's a trendy galleria type mall with all the big names you see everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Bella goes for 3 walks a day to go chi chi (our word for washroom for her) and goes to dog parks even thou there far also forest trips with us and she loves going to her nana's house (my mom) to play with auntie bijoux(my moms collie mix) who is 14 years old. Bellas full of energy,and always wants attention she also comes shopping with me in her carrier its like a purse and loves to be around big dogs not so much small ones.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm not a city girl but how about a drive to the country? We live on a farm/ranch and we take our dogs all of the time. They love to load up and go and of course pretty much everywhere we go there is wide open space for them to run and exercise. Plus, as long as you stayed off the main roads, you wouldn't have to worry about traffic.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Kit gets long walks twice a day. We like to go hiking sometimes in the mornings when the weather is nice and I have the extra time.

I walk him around the block 2 or 3 times a day just so he can go to the bathroom.

There is a dog park in my town but I don't spend a lot of time there. A lot of people here don't seem to train their dogs very well and I've heard a lot of horror stories about dogs getting hurt from other dogs there. The rare time when I do go, I try to pick a time when not a lot of other people are there.

Kit gets a ton of socialization just during our daily walks. Do you have a local park? It doesn't have to be a fenced in dog park, just a normal park. Usually there are a lot of people walking their dogs at the park here so Kit gets to meet a lot of different dogs.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Messi goes on walks around town, There are a lot of trails here that he goes with me on, he goes to the pet stores (he has puppy class at petsmart for socialization more than anything) he goes to the dog park (he hasn't in a while and the next day it warms up a little he is going. last summer we went to a state park with hilly trails that he went on but he was so little i carried him most of the time, next spring he will be able to do it on his own.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Newborn Pup

Advice

You should take your doggy to the dog park or the regular park so that they get used to it and they will enjoy the open air environment.Sometimes I take my dog to children playground so that they get habitual of listening their voices.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Betta Bomb

I'd be wary about fenced dog parks because as Michelle said, they can host dogs who are not properly socialized or necessarily have clean record from the vet. My dog is fine with medium sized females and puppies but even if they touch him the wrong way or take his toys he can become a little aggressive so I avoid situations in which he would completley out of my control. Some people arent so smart and one lady had her dog attacked by a German Shepherd (nothing agaist them I love em)..

As for where I takes Coco, I always took him to a soccer field or a school grounds. Since he has escaped before (and actually bit people, and terrorized other <<I know he's not that big or scary>>) I tie him onto a looooooong rope so he thinks he has free run but Im still in control. When Lisa fosters beagles and we can get them together in the summer they go to the field on their ropes and play. Also in the summer when time allows I like to walk him to far away places of the city but he's been getting exhausted easier lately with age :/
My advice is to have your dog socialized as best you can! This will open your options to where you can take him!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Newborn Pup

- When you are walking around the neighborhood or are at the dog park, find an owner with a dog that yours gets along with and set up play dates.

- Take them to "concerts in the park" or other open air events from which you can quickly leave if nessesary. Get them used to other people and other leashed dogs.

- Take them to a lake. Find a place that is not used for fishing (no lost hooks). Toss the ball into the lake. Repeat. That will burn off some energy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

I love to rollerblade with my dog, but i dont do it in the winter [obviously, duh]
But in the summer i rollerblade with them around my neighborhood, and we use to take them to this offleash dog park but i refuse to go now since someone was there who's dog had parvo and they didnt even clean the park
afterwards, and bella has had it once, but i dont know - now they are saying that dogs can get it a second time, and it just worries me to death
So maybe ill take them to lexington - i think they have dog parks there.. but i wont be going until its warm, i dont do well in the cold myself

~Mommy of~

Sasha - gsd/whatever - R.I.P Feb, 23, 2010 <3
Bella -Wolf/Rot/GSD
Rhiley - Rot/Lab
Roxxi - Rot/Lab
Gracey - Jack Russel.
The cats - - Maddie, Cloud, Abby, Spawn, Snuggles, Sassy, Tigger, Marley, Sid Vicious, and Jasmine [3 Healthy Kittens.]

Tags
dog take play